Camping out around the Bigelow / CVR area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Face

Reaction score
Hi, I'm heading up to Maine very shortly for 4 nights/5 days of fun in the woods and was interested in hearing ideas, experiences, etc. of others with respect to camping out. I do not want to stay at one of those organized campgrounds, i.e., Catherdral Pines(no matter how cutting-edge it is), but rather prefer staying in the woods, more or less away from people. My std operating procedure is to establish a base camp, then crank day hikes out of the basecamp. My knees are too beat up do slug the full pack over summits anymore.

A few ideas I had - mainly from searchin' and readin' posts in here:

- CVR - what is camping like along here? is it allowed? do you need a permit? what is the theft situation?

- Stratton Pond - looks like you can drive up to the pond (roughly shown here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.10874&lon=-70.31968&s=200&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG) and then camp out. I read one post where someone observed many others camping out in / around the pond. Same questions: permit needed? theft situation? Etc.

Goal is to hike the 4kers in the area: bigelows, crockers, 'loa, reddington, abraham, etc. and perhaps a 6-pack peak or two.

Privacy is key, etc. I don't mind a walk in for 0.0 to 2.0 miles, but also need the proximity of the camp to lend itself to these peaks (using a car to get close to trailheads).

thanks all.

F-Face said:
- CVR - what is camping like along here? is it allowed? do you need a permit? what is the theft situation?

- Stratton Pond - looks like you can drive up to the pond (roughly shown
What you would find useful is a map of the MFS campsites which are posted at MFS ranger stations and (an older version of) in the DeLorme Atlas. These are usually free and first come-first served

There have been MFS campsites near Caribou Pond but people often camp at the AT crossing which is within the NPS corridor

The Bigelow Preserve has special camping rules but there are a couple campsites near Stratton Pond which only true 4wd could drive to if allowed, you will probably find a map with current rules at the trailhead

I have seen people park at the AT xing of Caribou Valley Road and hike east on the AT to the Carrabassett River (approx. 100 yards) and camp along the bank (ample campsites). Then you can use that as a base to climb Sugarloaf/Spaulding one day and Crockers/Reddington the other.

Maine Atlas Gazetteer

Like RS said above, the Maine atlas shows the primitive campsites.(little red tents) Once at Cat Pines, there were no test sites available so the owners directed me to one of them nearby...and said I could shower at the CG if I purchased a visitor pass for $2. Worth every penny.