Campsites Near Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I am planning to do both Owlshead (day 1) and the Bonds (day 2), starting from Lincoln Woods off the Kanc. Where is a good spot to set up camp? Would like to start early on day 1, set up camp, hike Owlshead and return to camp. Day 2 hike the Bonds, return to camp & return to Lincoln Woods. Are there any sites similar to Liberty Springs with a caretaker? Any advice/info appreciated. :confused: :confused:
TIA

Franconia Brook campsite (WMNF) is 2.7 miles in (north) from the Lincoln Woods parking lot/ranger station on the East side trail (a WMNF truck road, closed to private vehicles). There are 24 sites. To cross the Pemi there, you have stepping stones, no bridge. That would be difficult with high water levels. The suspension bridges are at the parking lot and further along near the Cedar Brook trail junction.

The ideal spot, the intersection of the Wilderness Trail and Bondcliff, is the site of the old Camp 16. Camping is no longer allowed within 1/4 mile of that area. However, the area is covered with hardwoods and is very flat. Finding a spot has never been a problem.

Take bear precautions.

David Metsky said:
As far as I can tell, that restriction has been removed. You still need to be 200 feet from the trail, but the Camp 16 1/4 mile FPA is no longer in existance.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain//recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2006-07.pdf

-dave-

That is a spectacular site. That restriction was removed several years ago (according to the ranger that told me it was ok, several years ago) even if it was officially in the printed regs until recently.

Really a nice site.

Keith

If you are there during any busy times (weekends in summer) make sure you are really 200 feet off the trail- I've met a ranger there who was pretty stringent and hoping to catch us as being "the ones who camped right on the trail" he had heard about... it wasn't us, we were a good 250-300 feet off the trail. He seemed disappointed. Do practice LNT, as the wilderness is gorgeous!

Weatherman

Thanks!

Thanks all for your help!
I knew I could count on the VFTT community. :) :) :)