Canine Four Thousand Footer Awards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dog Mishaps

Does anyone have any stories of dog mishaps?

We all have heard stories of people getting into trouble or having injured themselves; but, I don't recall any of dogs doing the same.

Sometimes it can be dangerous just walking your dog in the neighborhood.

Mike

I have done the NEHH all season with my Airedale Duffy without incident. Although he did one time stir up a moose that chased both of us, but we both escaped without injury. I've done the winter 48 two thirds with Duffy and one third with Lauky without incident. Have also done the all season 48 with Lauky a couple of times without incident. Late one fall going up Goose Eye on the steep ice covered upper ledge Duffy tried to take a running start and got about three quarters of the way up when he lost it and slid to the bottom bouncing off a boulder on the way down. He was one tough Airedale and escaped without injury.

Prior to coming to Maine I lived in France for twenty years. I hiked with two different dogs in the Alps, the Pyrenees and the Black Mountains and neither one was ever injured.

In my late teens and early twenties I hiked quite a bit in the Catskills with two different dogs without incident. I did have one frightening incident. In the Catskills after summiting I took my pack off and just for fun was climbing down a vertical cliff. I looked up and there was my dog with all four paws in my last hand hold following me down. There was nothing I could do but climb up as quickly as I could and he followed me up without falling.

The only incident I can think of came while I was living in Africa. I was walking out in the bush with him when suddenly he started screaming. I don't know what other word to use. I ran to him and found he had been caught in a poachers trap. He was out of his mind with pain. I very foolishly reached down to open the trap and he grabbed my hand. End of the story, he recovered very quickly but I developed a very serious infection that took a long time to heal. Also had some minor nerve damage to my right thumb.:(

That's about it and it covers quite a few years.:)

Congrats to all our four-legged friends who accomplished the goal and were awarded their patches, as well as those that chose not to be patched! I have yet to see a dog on the trail any time of year that does not appear to enjoy what they are doing!;)

Does anyone have any stories of dog mishaps?

Two, of which I have told on here before.

First mishap was going into Great Gulf for a camping trip on a Friday, hopping across the Peabody River without incident. We came out on Sunday after experiencing pouring rain, and as I walked down the trail I kept crossing in mind (right by the Bluffs) wondering how we'd cross. We got to the river, and sure enough it had rose about three feet, now requiring me to wade across. I tied her leash to my pack (I had not yet had a harness), looosened the pack, and waded across. Immediately, she was swept downstream, down a little drop-off, and was held by her neck while almost pulling me over. "Well, that's the end of her" I thought. I braced myself, and encouraged her, screaming at her to come on. I still don't know how, but she managed to climb upstream, up the drop-off, and we got across. She was freaked, as was I. It was, though, the most amazing piece of determination I ever saw in the mountains. I bought her a harness before our next trip.

The second was after a day on Jefferson, we were coming down and I noticed the rocks had caused several rips in her pads. She never slowed, whined, or gave me any sign. The worst part, I had booties with me, but hadn't put them on her yet. I was pretty upset, and she did recover fine but I learned a hard lesson.

A few thousand miles, and that's it. I have twisted a couple dozen ankles, broken a thumb, smashed a knee, scrapes, cuts, bruises, and she made off a helluva better than I did.

Make no mistake, there is a whole different level of responsibility and care when you have a dog with you.

Congrats to Terra for her accomplishment. Well done!!

On mishaps....

Terra sprained her elbow in the deep Adirondack mud on one hike. No soft tissue damage, six weeks of rest.

On another occaision she blistered her front paw pads on the sharp rocks of the Northerns climbing the Daniel Webster Scout Trail. Four days of an antibiotic foot powder and she was fine.

On a more serious note, I lost my previous trail dog, Charlie Brown, to a timber rattlesnake while backpacking the Long Trail. <rest in peace, good dog>

For me, there's nothing worse than the feeling of guilt of losing a dog on the trail -- that's why I take harsh winter conditions very seriously when it comes to my responsibility for both myself, my hiking partners and my dog. Yes, things can happen in any season, but I think winter is the toughest season -- the stakes are much higher for everyone, including those who may have to come out to rescue. Its one thing to make a conscious decision to put myself out in a situation of deep blowing snow, high winds, long distance, ice -- etc -- its another to take a dog along. Some scenarios I've considered were if Terra were to slip into a gully. How could I save her? Would it be "right" to ask SAR to? What if I slipped into a gully or hurt myself and was immobile. What would protect Terra from succumbing to the elements, too? I don't lose sleep over these questions, but having been one, who has stood helplessly in the remote woods over the dying body of a great friend, I know the stakes all to well. And that changed me.

Others have their own experiences and personal limits, that's fine. The dangers are very real. The dogs will follow us anywhere, does that mean they should? They have all the courage and heart and strength they need, and no ego of their own to protect. They don't need to prove that they are hardcore, they already are, designed that way by nature. :)

Last edited:
Hold the Phone, stop the presses....

I'm not trying to dredge up bad memories here, but I hike with a dog (sometimes) and I've never considered snakes an issue. Your dog got bitten in Vermont? presumably at some altitude? I knew that the Blue Hills supposedly had a rattler at one time, but is this normal so far North?

That's a crappy way to lose a friend:(

I'm not trying to dredge up bad memories here, but I hike with a dog (sometimes) and I've never considered snakes an issue. Your dog got bitten in Vermont? presumably at some altitude? I knew that the Blue Hills supposedly had a rattler at one time, but is this normal so far North?

Timber rattlers are very much an issue in the Hudson Highlands where I was from at the time, but I didn't consider them an issue in VT. T Two or three days later on the hike we saw a rattler sunning itself on a rock at the top of the slopes at Smuggler's Notch, a talk with a ranger later that day confirmed thier presence. Our veterinarian confirmed the symptomology. I later learned that my vet would have offered us an anti venin kit; and that there are such dog training courses in wildlife aversion such as snakes. I wish I'd known beforehand.

The range of just about anything indigenous to the NE can be found in it. I saw a Moose and a Cougar in NY when I lived along the Appalachian Trail in NY. I think our wildlife has adapted to the fragmentation so prevalent in the NE. While snakebites, fortunatley are not common occurences in the NE, they do happen. If you are out there enough, you can encounter just about anything.

Last edited:

Although a quick search reveals sightings on in the Berkshires and the CT River Valley, I seem to recall a sighting in Ashby or Ashburnham, MA sometime back in the 80s. Maybe it couldn't be confirmed, but some of the ledgy areas make for wonderful snake habitat so I don't doubt they could be found in our locale.

Una_Dogger: I cannot imagine losing my beloved hiking companion in such a terrible way. Thanks for the reminder to be vigilant despite them being an endangered species. All it takes is one...

On our last hike, coming down off Mt. Major as we neared the trailhead there was a 1x6 board about three feet long lying by the side of the trail. That is quite unusual so I went to look at it and as we got near I heard a hiss, Lauky jumped back about two feet. I never saw a thing. I very carefully moved the board with my hiking stick and didn't see anything under it. Whatever it was was gone. I've seen a few garter snakes here and there but this is the first time up in this area that I've heard a hiss like that.

Any advice for Otis

Congratulations Terra!
It was nice to meet you both on awards night.
We're thinking about taking our new black lab Otis with us for hikes in the whites. So far we've been limited to flatland hikes in southern New Hampshire. I'd heard and read about the risks of cut pads in the high peaks and Moose anywhere, but I've learned a few new things on this thread as wel. Aside from making sure we're all conditioned for the hike, is there anything else we should know about hiking with a dog?

The best way to learn about hiking with a dog is to hike with a dog. I would say this though. If Otis obeys completely your voice commands you shouldn't have any problems. But if he tends to jump on people despite voice commands or run after other dogs despite voice commands be ready and willing to put him on a leash when you see others coming. There are a lot of folks out there who are afraid of or who simply don't like dogs and you will make it easier for them and for all of us who hike with dogs if you keep your dog under control.

Beyond that, I would say, start easy, work your way up in difficulty and observe how Otis does and how well he obeys. Bring him some water and treats and have fun. Labs make great trail dogs.

Timber rattlers are very much an issue in the Hudson Highlands where I was from at the time, but I didn't consider them an issue in VT. T Two or three days later on the hike we saw a rattler sunning itself on a rock at the top of the slopes at Smuggler's Notch, a talk with a ranger later that day confirmed thier presence. Our veterinarian confirmed the symptomology. I later learned that my vet would have offered us an anti venin kit; and that there are such dog training courses in wildlife aversion such as snakes. I wish I'd known beforehand.

The range of just about anything indigenous to the NE can be found in it. I saw a Moose and a Cougar in NY when I lived along the Appalachian Trail in NY. I think our wildlife has adapted to the fragmentation so prevalent in the NE. While snakebites, fortunatley are not common occurences in the NE, they do happen. If you are out there enough, you can encounter just about anything.

What a terrible story Sabrina. I am so sorry. I never gave this much thought when hiking in VT. Thank you for sharing this info with us.

....and a hearty congratulations again to Miss Terra for her outstanding achievement!

Last edited:
One piece of advise is to realize not everyone loves your dog as much as you, likes dogs in general, and therefore respect their space. Basically, bend over backward to make sure they are in control. It sucks for all parties involved otherwise.