Canister stoves on airplanes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama Jack

Reaction score
I am unexpectedly leaving for Europe next Saturday. I am only taking my pack and will be basically living on the street for a few days. Will the airlines allow me to "check" my pack with my GAZ fuel cannister?? Or perhaps some Esbit cubes??

Any input would be appreciated!

-PJ-

No way you can fly with Gaz canisters or Esbit cubes. Check to make sure your airline has no problem with the stove itself. Some are very picky.

You'll have to buy cannisters over in Europe for your stove.

-dave-

JetBlue refused to let me bring my Pocket Rocket last year from Burlington VT. This was not the canister, it was the stove. They said if it ever had fuel in it it couldn't go. I had to abandoin the stove at the airport.

Pb

3 weeks after 9/11 I flew a pocket rocket but not the fuel canisters (jet blue), the year after that I shipped a whisperlight ahead of me rather than take the chance.

If understand it right the airlines will have their own rules and then the TSA has a wide latitude on inspections and what flies or doesn't.

I've been practicing building alcohol stoves, so when I arrive somewhere I can have a few beers and make a stove. However, this is only a 3 season solution. I do think denatured alcohol can be flown.

In all of the above I'm talking about checked luggage.

Last May we were getting ready for a trip to the Grand Canyon. Rather than take a chance (I had heard too many conflicting stories and I kept getting different answers from the airlines), I shipped my Whisperlite and empty bottles ahead. At the end of our trip, I emptied and rinsed out the gas bottles and shipped everything back home.

Then in October I was headed back out to Vegas for a convention (work-related) and then taking several days for a trip to Zion and Bryce. Again, rather than take a chance, I shipped my stove (this time a pocket rocket) and small lantern to the hotel I was staying at in Vegas. When returning, I was flying on Sunday (taking a red-eye back east). Since I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a place to ship stove and lantern back home, I took a chance and stuffed them in my hiking boots, shoved stinky socks on top and placed them in my checked luggage. Of course, I left the cannisters behind. No problems. Everything showed up in Boston, nothing had been searched or touched.

I think it's really hit or miss. If you can, I would suggest shipping questionable items ahead so that you won't run into any problems at the airport.

LittleBear said:
Rather than take a chance (I had heard too many conflicting stories and I kept getting different answers from the airlines), I shipped my Whisperlite and empty bottles ahead.
What sort of shipper and did you tell them the contents? Even household moving vans are not supposed to take fuel canisters.

I flew to & from Las Vegas with a propane stove without canister, both times its bag was searched (the only one of 4 bags). Don't know if they saw it on Xray or used explosive sniffer. The second time I deliberately left it on top so they wouldn't have to dig for it.

Note that butane lighters are banned again.

I shipped it UPS. They don't have a problem with the stove, but you must tell them that the gas bottles have either not ever been used or have been emptied and thoroughly rinsed.

Funny - I had my bag thoroughly searched when flying out to Vegas (without my stove and lantern) and it was thoroughly searched!!! I was barely able to get everything in this large duffle when I packed it at home, and TSA made a total mess of everything. They couldn't get it zipped back up again, and tied and bagged it instead. My bag was not searched when returning to Boston (with my stove and lantern).

Have a safe trip Bud! Lovin the avatar and please say a prayer out there for me.

As far as the canisters go... I'm thinking they answer is NO.. BUT... here is a thought... A MAIL DROP at the airport you intend to land in or at least the town and you can mail yourself the fuel. Like an AT kinda thingy Eh? :confused:

Perhaps invetsigating some outfitters in the Euro region?

Good responses.

been my experience it is totally up to the person working the counter. Call and speak to three different people, you'll get three different answers.

I have flown with my MSR and fuel bottles (checked) w/o problems. I have also had to literally leave them at the airport. :mad: Again, it depends on the person checking you in, their experience and interpretations of the rules. Kinda "grey" I find, but I tend to be more 'black & white" anyways.

I also make it a point not to argue "airline policy" while at the airport.

A side note: Just a theory, but I do believe all airlines going into Vegas do a more thorough search then other cities. My bags (checked) were gone through as well (been out twice in the last year:Zion & Bryce rock!). Also, I would like to hear if others saw this, the outskirts of the city have numerous "active" police stops for trucks...well...more than I notice in other cities. Again---just something I noticed out there.

Panama, Hope you have a safe trip.

Last edited:
The last rule I saw about two weeks ago said no canisters but a stove that had never had gas in it was ok. Of course they might miss it. But shipping ahead or getting a cheap alternative over there might be the way to go. The shipping costs would probably equal the price of buying one and they might not be willing to take a canister anyhow. They aren't supposed to go on airplanes.

Last edited:
I fly 2- 4 times a year. What I do is bring the stove. and buy a fuel bottle or canister when I arrive. most areas that are popular hiking and climbing destinations have at least one store that wil seell all sorts of gear. You can porbably find something online. One thing that will be helpfull for ,you the people that work at the check in counter anmd everey one in line behind you is to put the stove in a easily accessible place so they can look at it .
If you is is clean, if not you can clean it with mild detergent or soap . I let it soak for a little while. . Also do not put lighters in you pack. . The TSA folks are very inconsitent with what they allw and do not allow . Do not argue with them I saw a indient and that person missed her flight . She was upset about being searched because the wire in her bra set off the metal detector.
Not that I blame her but it is not worth the hasssle.
I could rant bout the TSA but ... manly I learned the hard way they helped trhem selvesto 600 worth of gear last year even after expailning I did not have a fuel bottle and told the attendants where my stove was.
Once theyt go through your stuff and either remove meanhelp them selves to the item or damage something you do not have any recourse. You will have a note in your luggage that the TSA has searched it and apologize for the loss or damage but due to national security reasons you are not entitled to and compenstaion or legal recourse .

Warren said:
More specifically: all lighters used and unused from checked and carry on luggage. Matches still OK.

IIRC, there is a limit of 4 books of safety matches. (Check official sources before actully trying this.)

Strike-anywere matches have been banned for quite a while.

Doug

Alcohol stoves might be a good choice for fliers (at least for warm weather trips).

Some of the simpler designs of alcohol stoves just use an open 3oz (or so) tin can as the burner. If unused, it is just an open tin can. If the powers that be seize a used one, the loss is minimal and it shouldn't be too hard to buy the raw materials and make a new one. (The tools should be legal in checked luggage.) As a side bonus, you can eat the contents of the "raw materials"...

One strategy would be to carry unused stove parts on the trip out and let the security folks decide on the way back (or just discard the used parts).

Doug

Interesting side note, do you want to know where some of the stuff that you surrender to the TSA goes?

Check this out

Great place to get lots of Swiss Army knifes cheap! :rolleyes:

Coming soon, thousands of cheap lighters :D