Cannon mountain and trail ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Hiking Cannon mountain via Cannon trail from RTE93 Does any one know if I'll need to bring the crampons and ice axe. Heard it has been snowing, sleeting, and freezing rain above 4500ft all week

Hi-Cannon Trail?

I would bring crampons (6 point insteps) or some sort of traction gear. Snow-line is receding VERY slowly this year. I would leave the ice axe home, and take the poles.

Crampons just in case. Most peaks have snow above 3500'

A friend at work was talking to the Mt Washington Weather Observatory today and was told they have received 8 inches of new snow. It's still Winter in the high peaks.

the Hi-Cannon Trail was barebootable on Saturday. There was a little bit of hardpacked snow and ice left but it was not a factor. It started to rain in the afternoon as I was leaving. Not sure if it is high enough to get snow or not this week. From the junction with Kinsman Ridge it was pretty much hard-packed snow to the summit area. Kinsman Ridge itself down towards the Cannon Balls was pretty nasty but I didn't need any traction equipment.

i did the kinsmans today(5/25/05) and found that cramps would have been more of a pain than anything. the snow/ice in that area this time of year is random

I did Eisenhower on friday (edmunds then crawfords) It was bearbootable the whole way. Crampons would probably be overkill. You are only in the snow for the last 500ft elevation before treeline.

-percious