Canon...Problem when i turn off the flash...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A photography forum would be a big hit with me. Just yesterday I used a trick I learned here from one of my photo questions. I was shooting the MacIntyre rage though a bunch of ice covered branches and the camera kept focussing on the branches. Then I remembered to aim at the sky, push the button half way and then swing back to the subject. I think it worked.

Neil said:
A photography forum would be a big hit with me. Just yesterday I used a trick I learned here from one of my photo questions. I was shooting the MacIntyre rage though a bunch of ice covered branches and the camera kept focussing on the branches. Then I remembered to aim at the sky, push the button half way and then swing back to the subject. I think it worked.
Many cameras also set the exposure parameters from the half press too, so try to choose an initial scene with similar lighting to the final scene. The sky will often be brighter than a terrestrial scene.

Doug

Last edited:
Remove if you must...

I had the same frustrations with other photography forums until I discovered:
http://www.naturephotographers.net
It usually caters to a very high level photographer, but I've seen many a newbee nurtured. I also think given the quality of the pics on this site that many of you would fit in quite well.

I would also support and actively participate in a photography forum if one were created here...

Doug-

I guess that worked! What a great shot - a winner
I just got the wife the Canon SD540; looking for winter to begin to get some nice scenic shots ( am I not alone here )

Peter

PeterM said:
Doug-

I guess that worked! What a great shot - a winner
I just got the wife the Canon SD540; looking for winter to begin to get some nice scenic shots ( am I not alone here )

Peter
I think Neil deserves the credit here, not I.

Doug

A forum dedicated to photography would be very useful to many members and readers. In a dedicated forum we could share images, as well as tricks that we've learned to deal with photography while recreating. :) :) :)

darren said:
I've been thinking it for a while....maybe we need a Nature Photography forum added to the site. It would be member based like the paddle forum. Anyone interested?

Sounds good! I just bought a new camera, and for the past week have been getting a feel for all of the options by using it. Play around, see what works and what doesn't. Some of the pictures you take might surprise you.

darren said:
...I've been thinking it for a while....maybe we need a Nature Photography forum added to the site. It would be member based like the paddle forum. Anyone interested?
- darren

Yes. This grasshoppa also have much to learn.

Yes, I like the idea of a photography forum. We already field many camera questions as a piece of hiking gear. It seems natural to expand our focus to backcountry photo techniques and critiques for those who wish to participate in an additional forum.

Yes, we will need to keep the critiques constructive. But hopefully we can go beyond the "nice photo" politeness which is not overly constructive. Participants should feel comfortable to post their good photos as well as problem photos which they want help with.

It will also be a little extra motivation for me to buy a good dSLR, break my Velvia addiction, and finally be able to share some photos.

One way to handle a photo forum would be to split it into two parts-a technical forum for questions and a gallery for posting pics. You could then have ongoing threads such as brand related threads-Canon, Nikon, etc.; scenic, action (climbing, etc.) and so on. There could also be a "critque my photo" thread in the gallery where people could posts pics on which they want comments regarding composition, etc.

This might require a higher level of moderating since people sometimes ignore the appropriate forums and just post stuff anywhere for no apparent reason (I see this on another forum I help moderate all the time), but it would be a nice addition to the site.

I have created a new nature photography forum that is usergroup based. Details are listed here .

As of now, there will be only one forum to handle images and equipment questions. It could be split in the future if requred.

Enjoy the new forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.