Car break ins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cantdog said:
The camera surveillance sounds great, but how much would it cost per location and how would it be paid for?

Paid for? Hmmm, how about using the "trail" use fees which, since they are only assessed on people who DRIVE to the trail, are in actuality, parking lot use fees. Seems like a logical place to get some money to fund such an activity.

Last edited:
bcskier said:
Paid for? Hmmm, how about using the "trail" use fees which, since they are only assessed on people who DRIVE to the trail, are in actuality, parking lot use fees. Seems like a logical place to get some money to fund such an activity.

We could replace the funds used with stiff fines on the vandals/thieves and/or from the profits generated by selling their cars. :D .....because I'm sure they're not walking out to the trailheads.

The parking passes we pay for will only cover the costs for the deluxe bathrooms they are building for the tourists on the Kanc. Maybe they should start charging the tourists to use the parking lots on the Kanc, wouldn't that only seem fair?

I hate to say it, but I think the easiest way out is the old junker. Which is tough if you have to drive a long way to get there. If ya make a long trip, you always bring some junk that ends up left in the car and hence is a temptation. I figure its part of the risk of the trip, just like the driving is(esp with the moose threads I read here). Leave everything ya can out of sight, lock your car, go have fun and hope the car is ok. Fortunately it usually is. I'd be afraid if I left it open that someone would trash it just for spite. A locked door makes that marginally harder.

A friend of mine swears this works. FTR, I don't do it, but I've been lucky and never had a problem...knock on "downed" wood (LNT y'know ;) )

He leaves an old daypack, water bottle and hiking stick on the hood of his car. Basically, makes it look like, someone is there, but perhaps in the woods "answering the call of nature". He also has never had a problem.

At least different. And, well, he is is.

Peace.

I drive two differnt red pick ups compleat with with gun racks and NRA sticker ( not a member though) GO NH stricker , NH Tags one even has the plow mount . I have not had a problem as of yet . Note I do not leave empty shell casings hanging around.
Oh yeah the empety coffee cups, and other general stuff seems to deter them . They might just think I am either going going to show up at court, or that I might just show up at the wrong time.
That being said please do not try any thing let the police deal with it. If you do see something call them.
You could end up hurt , arrested or sued. . It is pathetic that a butthole can sue you if you defend your self . :(
If you see them in action do not try to stop them Call 911 or *77 ASAP the cops will be there pronto !
I hope the dip bleeps get cuaght and spend some time with Bubba

Last edited:
this used to be isolated to only to those who had out of state plates

Jaytrek57 said:
A friend of mine swears this works. FTR, I don't do it, but I've been lucky and never had a problem...knock on "downed" wood (LNT y'know ;) )

He leaves an old daypack, water bottle and hiking stick on the hood of his car. Basically, makes it look like, someone is there, but perhaps in the woods "answering the call of nature". He also has never had a problem.

Y'know, that's not a bad idea at all!

IMHO anyone who ruins someones hike by breaking into their car should become food for the ravens, bears, and coyotes.

Down with the lawwyyaaahhhs!

It is pathetic that the American justice system has been so screwed up by lawyers that a person caught in a criminal act can sue so easily. My thought would be that anyone convicted of a criminal act loses their right to sue for incidents related to their crime.

Okay, so after reading this thread, the general consensus is to buy a 70's stationwagon, put lots of NRA bumper stickers on the back, get a gun rack, leave notes stating that there is nothing of value in the car, sleep endless nights by my car in the parking lot, invest in cameras to watch my car 24-7, find a dog to puke in the back seat, buy fake dog poo to place in the car, and carry everything that should be in the car (including the clutch) in my backpack while hiking... OR... go to the police. Unfortunately, option one seems to have more bite!