Car camping in the Whites, suggestions please.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
Baxter State Park just canceled my reservations for the 15th and 16th due to the late spring.
I had a lean-to at Katahdin Stream for my son and I. Baxter lean-tos are the only car campground-ing I've ever done. Don't own a 'family sized tent', and 99.9% of my camping out has been backpacking. I'd like to substitute a campground in the Whites, but know nothing about them! My son doesn't hike, if he could I wouldn't be asking for your help - so, thanks in advance!

Where do you want to be in the Whites--- makes a difference!!!!!!!!

Not especially, Breeze.

Where do you want to be in the Whites--- makes a difference!!!!!!!!
Anywhere in the Whites is hours closer than Baxter. We won't be hiking or climbing. Just looking for a nice primitive car camping campground that's open this Thursday. Picnic table, campfire. Got a favorite? I think the WMNF ones are first come first serve, no rezs, right?

Blackberry Crossing would be close to a couple non-hiking destinations along the Kancamagus Highway on the Swift River. Lower Falls, Albany covered bridge, Russell Colbath house, Rocky Gorge and the super easy Lovequist Loop. Never stayed but seems like a nice spot. Fairly close to Conway on the east side of the Kanc.

Last edited:
Barnes Field on Pinkham B ( dolly copp ) road from Rt 16 Pinkham Notch

Thanks, everyone! after all these years of driving past the campgrounds it's about time I stayed at one!

They're starting to open but the USFS WMNF website (when it was working the other day) said to call as they're opening on an individual basis as they become ready, not all at once or on a specific schedule.

VT state parks have leantos (unlike NF) if that is a selling point for your son

VT state parks have leantos (unlike NF) if that is a selling point for your son
I would highley recomend the VT state campgrounds and thier leantos. I wouldn't call them primative but the sites are spaced out enouigh for privacy. I think VT does a great job on their capgrounds. I stayed at 2 differant ones last year while I was doing my VT NE4Ks (forgot the names but can look it up). One was on a lake with canoes and kayaks to use for a few $s my brother kayaked while I hiked.

We once stayed at Russell Pond in Woodstock with nonhiking friends. The pond is good for a swim or canoe/kayak trip if you're up for that. It's the only car camping I've done in the Whites so I can't compare it to anything else that was mentioned.