Car sleeping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
If organized, getting going in the am. is quicker with car versus motel sleeping.

Unless what I want is to easily wash up and put my contact lenses in. And I do like that "real toilet" concept in the morning (quiet, SK!).

I'm surprised no one has suggested the VW Westphalia. My brother has one. I've slept in it. It's pretty comfy too. The only draw back is, it doesn't have a toilet, but that's not too hard to deal with. It has running water, sink, and heat. Don't pop the roof, use the lower sleep section, pull the curtains, voila, instant road side accomodations.

edit: if you really need the morning loo, here's what we do when required...5 gallon bucket, plastic trash bag, toilet seet. You figure out the rest! feels just like home.

I sleep comfortably in my Subaru Outback. Just remember to crack the windows in winter or you'll be fighting condensation in the car for days!

Sapblatt's Freestyle looks d*mn nice! My Sis-in-law loves her Element. I would definitely consider one of those.

I sleep fairly well in the back seat of my 2000 GMC Sierra extended cab (Jim Beam edition). Unfortunately, because of the panic button on the remote gizmo, nobody else seams to be able to sleep in my immediate vicinity.

Frodo said:
BTW, Pete Hickey, which motels are you staying at that cost 10,000 for 2 weeks? The Bunny Ranch in Vegas???? :D
I was wondering who would pick up on that....
Skiguy said:
Pete if I ever do run into you at a trailhead I hope I have a calculator in case I offer to buy you a beer afterwards and you offer to pay the tip!
Hey. My degree is in math, not arithmetic.

And of course there are other things than just price, but it is a useful exercise to do some calculations. It's interesting to see how much we pay for little things.... like it costs me $20,000 a year to not wear a tie and shoes.

I got to try out my 07 Honda Fit (35+ mpg) last month for the first time overnight at a trailhead. Slept in the back, with the backseats down. I'm 5'8" and could pretty much fit diagonally, but it usually doesn't bother me that I can't stretch out because I almost always sleep in the fetal position. It was the perfect size for me, my stuff, and my dog. Hmm....shoulda cracked a window for that condensation...I still have stuff to learn! :rolleyes:

When I drove XC this summer, I had a month's worth of gear in the back end (had a hiking and cycling extravaganza from MA to Seattle and back). I'm too lazy to reorganize for a 2 hour nap at a rest stop, so I just put the driver's seat all the way back - more than once, that 2 hour nap turned into the whole night!

car camping

Everyone seems to have great success with what they have as i do to. I have a pathfinder. Not great on gas(19mpg) but i inflate a queen size airbed in the back and say good night dick...although at 5'10" , i do have to sleep cross ways. Works well for one , not so sure for 2 unless #2 is 4" :eek: