Car spot help in NJ on 4/22 23?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Hi folks, don't know if anyone lives near Mullica River campground in NJ but Indian Chris and I are going kayak canoe camping there next week (Tues and Wed) and we wanted to leave a car at one end and get a ride back to the other end, guess we don't care which end...so if anyone out there is not working that day or wealthy and not employed or wants to play hookey that day please let us know....sorry but I can't deliver my Long Island famous kosher bagels because it's the Passover holiday and the stores are closed....sorry Jay........thx David...if you know a good taxi that can help us there that info would also be appreciated...

What time of the day are you looking at for the spot? I could probably do it after work; I get out about 4 and it would take about 1 1/2 hours for me to get there. You could also contact one of the canoe/kayak outfitters in the area. I know its their off season but for a fee one of them may be willing to help you with the spot.

yeah, when Carol and I paddled the Oswego, we ran into a guy in a van looking kind of pissed and asked us if we saw a father/son in a canoe. (which we did about 20 minutes up the river). Apparently, he was some kind of outfitter in the area and they would rent the kayaks/canoes and drop them off at one of the lakes the Oswego flows out of and then pick them up downstream. Apparently, this guy was late and the guy didn't look too happy. The outfitters will sometimes also shuttle kayakers around... I'd check them out but I don't remember the name but a google should work.

You have 2 cars? If you and IC both have a car, then you could lock the kayaks up somewhere (should be safe, it's a weekday and quiet now other than the fishermen) and go get the car, drive cars back to your kayaks and load them up.

Jay

It might not be as quiet as I am hoping. Apparently Queens College has a group trip of about 20 canoes going down Tuesday/Wednesday. And there's another big group going down Monday/Tuesday I recently found out.

Thanks for the offer dax! We'll definately consider. Will call some more vendors as well to see what they say.

Coldfeet...talk to you Thursday...call me like you said, on your way to the meeting. Do you go in to campus off Wicks Road or Crooked Hill Road? I can meet you by the entrance.

Thx Daxs and Jay for info....looks like Chris got someone.....We're taking 1 car, I believe it's Earth Day that day so we'll conserve energy and be a part of nature...

Also Queens College is my Alma Mater...maybe it's a bio group going out...

Chris, I'm pretty sure it's Wick's Road....the building is Captree room 114....I gotta go now....big weigh in for me tonight, looks like I'm breaking out of the 200lb scene and getting back into the 190's...will get back later.... :D

Missed my mark :(

down to 200.5 lbs.....total loss since 1/1/08.....27 1/2 lbs....going to be a tough week coming up with the holidays and camping....how can one diet during a festive holiday and camping?...oh well, one day at a time....hey I heard possible 80 F on Friday :eek: have a nice weekend!

If your plans fall through let me know. I can always pick you up at the end of the paddle. Cell phone is 610-442-1717

Its supposed to be in the 70's here at the shore this weekend. The ocean temps are still in the 40's so it makes it feel cooler. I am going to Assateague this weekend. Calling for high 60's and sunny. This will be my first time paddling a loaded kayak. I told Jim, make sure you bring the tow rope....

daxs said:
This will be my first time paddling a loaded kayak. I told Jim, make sure you bring the tow rope....

Carol, can I use this line and erase Jim's name and put in Chris ? This will be only the second time I'm paddling the boat and I'm going camping!...Talk about learning on the job....I can't wait....I started making piles of clothing and tested my stove...you must be really excited....have a great time.....I signed up for that trip with our club for sometime I think in October....

Would love to see you anyway when we finish to say hello, it's been a while..take care...David

Half the challenge with loaded camping is packing the boat. It's a little harder than say backpacking, since the kayak is rigid and the hatches are fixed size :)

You'll sit lower in the water which increases the waterline, which you might not notice since this is your second kayak, but the big difference is out of the water trying to carry the boat. Don't forget when you are carrying a loaded kayak with another helper, put one hand on the hull (bottom) of the boat, don't just carry it from the carry togs... Not nice to carry a lot of the weight via the deck lines and/or carry togs...

Jay

Thx Jay, went to check out skirts earlier, I checked out an Immersion Research and Snap Dragon....I ordered a Snap Dragon, it won't come in for app 10 days...Chris has an extra skirt I can borrow...hoping for nice weather..

Check the weather before you go. Last week in the Pine Barrens there were some temps in the 30's overnight. Heck, It was 32 degrees outside my house a few days ago and I needed to let the defrosters do some work on my windshield.

Jim and I went kaykaing on the back bays 2 weekends ago and I did not even need to use my spray skirt. I meant to opst a trip report but...

Carol, if you want to you can join us for a late paddle on Thursday.....we figured to paddle late under some moon light....of course i'm saying all of this now....will send u my cell # in pm...