Carrigain, First snowshoe for the season, 12/12/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
December 12, 2009: Carrigain

Trails: Sawyer River Road, Signal Ridge Trail

Summits: Carrigain

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Fitz, and me

The National Weather Service, and others, were forecasting a very low temperature and very high winds for the day. Based on posted information it looked like we were probably going to see a temperature ~5 degrees and a wind from the west-northwest of 60+mph. Brisk! The planned hike was expected to be relatively sheltered from the wind until we hit Signal Ridge and the summit. It turned out that we were the first hikers in after the recent storm.

Since Sawyer River Road is closed we used the trailhead lot on Route 302. The first really good news came when we arrived at the entrance to the trailhead lot. Sawyer River Road had seen quite a bit of snowmobile traffic and we would be able to bare boot the two mile road walk to the actual trailhead. While we were preparing to get started HikerBob pulled in and told us there were others expected to start up the same hike in roughly an hour. Knowing the people he was talking about – Marc Howes, Lriz, and Arm – I expected they would fly past us early and take over the trail breaking – more good news!

Together with HikerBob (on skis) we set off on Sawyer River Road. The road was packed well and we had no trouble bare booting the two miles to the actual trailhead. Here we split up, HikerBob returned to the trailhead and we went with our snowshoes for the hike to Carrigain. The first move was a short bushwhack to avoid a couple crossings of Whiteface Brook. Fitz was in the lead and did a great job on selecting the bushwhack route. We hit Signal Ridge Trail, made the turn and set off through fresh snow with Fitz still leading the way. In roughly a quarter mile Sue pulled into the lead and we continued. As we hiked we tried to alternate foot placement as much as possible to leave a smooth snowshoe track. A short distance before the Carrigain Notch – Signal Ridge trails junction I noticed Marc Howes closing in on us. Somewhere behind him were Lriz, Arm, and more. After a short visit Marc was off. We saw him again at the crossing near the trail junction and then again near the summit headed down as we were still climbing. Marc saved the day with his trail breaking.

We continued to work on leaving a smooth snowshoe track as we climbed. We were getting hit with a small amount of wind but the terrain was doing a great job of blocking for us. The only real concern was due to the limited snow cover and the rocks, stumps, and similar things that stick up from the trail. It’s easy to catch a snowshoe on this stuff and go down. Another couple feet of snow will take care of this problem and it shouldn’t be long before we have it.

The climb to Signal Ridge was generally uneventful. We plodded along making the usual stops along the way. At roughly 2600 feet Lriz came through in her new blue pants. Very stylish! In another couple hundred feet a couple more in their group passed and soon Arm went by. Everybody is on snowshoes and we’re sure to leave a nice trail surface by the end of the day. We hit the top of the brook at 3000 feet and started the long traverse then finally came to the sharp left and started the final climb to Signal Ridge. A couple hundred feet below Signal Ridge we stopped to add layers for warmth and protection from the expected wind. Slowly we made our way up. The final approach to Signal Ridge is actually on the ridge line below the trees but should be windy if the forecast was correct. All we had was a light breeze. It seems the weather guys were a little off in their estimates for the day (wrong in the right direction). We reached the open area on Signal Ridge and it was cold enough and windy enough to make face protection a good idea but certainly nothing like we expected. We had thought once we reached the ridge it would be an effort to get across and back into the shelter as fast as possible. In fact, we stopped to enjoy the views and get some pictures along the way. The conditions weren’t that bad.

Back into the shelter of the trees for the final climb to the summit. We passed the site of the Fire Warden’s cabin and started into the short sections of climb to the summit area. On the way we first passed Marc Howes and Lriz, and not long after the others came through. We made the final climb to the ridge area below the summit and then to the tower. There, the wind was actually low enough to allow us to climb the tower for more very nice views but high enough to keep us moving.

Soon we were on the hike out. We made our way back across Signal Ridge and a few hundred feet below the treeline where we de-layered. The hike back out was generally uneventful. I think we all nearly went down at least a couple times due to stuff in the trail catching snowshoes. Other than these few trips and stumbles it was clear sailing. Eight sets of snowshoes doing the round trip left the trail with a very nice snowshoe track – I really hope the bare booters that prefer carrying snowshoes stick to the snowmobile trails, but that’s not going to happen.

We hit Sawyer River Road, retired the snowshoes, and made the final two miles back to the trailhead. In planning the hike I expected the time to come in at roughly 25% over book time, which is where we ended.

At the trailhead were a couple and a flat tire. They were having some problems because they rounded off one of the lug nuts probably from not using the lug wrench properly (just a guess). One of them decided to get into the back of my truck to see if there was anything useful there to help get them on their way. I was a little upset to see they had no respect for the property of others. Initially I was willing to help until I learned they had decided to view my truck as public property. After I cooled off I dug out a wrench and got the problem lug nut taken care of.

With the Good Samaritan duty out of the way we were off for the Highland Center and then the highway south. Thanks Sue and Fitz for a very enjoyable hike to Carrigain. Thanks to Marc too!

Pictures will follow.

:)

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
nice hike earl. glad it wasn't so windy that you couldn't enjoy the views on the ridge and summit. sounds like a winner of a day.

bryan

nice hike earl. glad it wasn't so windy that you couldn't enjoy the views on the ridge and summit. sounds like a winner of a day.

bryan

Thanks, Bryan.

If it was a little warmer or there was a little less wind when we hit Signal Ridge the conditions would have been terrific. As it was, the temperature and wind combination made a face mask feel pretty good. It wasn't so bad that we couldn't enjoy hanging around on the ridge to enjoy the views.

The overall conditions were much more enjoyable than we expected. Pretty nice when that happens. :)

Thanks for all your trailbreaking. The trail was in great shape yesterday. I hope to return the favor someday. It was the first time I've ever been up Carrigain in winter conditions. What a great view! I used my running snowshoes in made the roundtrip in just under 3 hours. I think the trail is easier in the winter than summer once the rocks are covered up.

Thanks for all your trailbreaking. The trail was in great shape yesterday. I hope to return the favor someday. It was the first time I've ever been up Carrigain in winter conditions. What a great view! I used my running snowshoes in made the roundtrip in just under 3 hours. I think the trail is easier in the winter than summer once the rocks are covered up.

The trailbreaking was a multi-group group effort. From Sawyer River Road to the summit is five miles. We got things started on the bushwhack from Sawyer River Road and the early part of Signal Ridge Trail. Fitz did a great job with the bushwhack route. At roughly 1.5 miles in from Sawyer River Road Marc Howes went through and took the lead. Eventually Lriz passed us and Marc putting her on the point. Finally, Arm took it to the summit.

We were first in and last out and the trail was in great shape - at least when the day ended on Saturday.

There are still enough things sticking up through the snow to watch out for but they'll soon be gone and we'll have some great, worry-free snowshoeing to enjoy.

:D

Initially I was willing to help until I learned they had decided to view my truck as public property. After I cooled off I dug out a wrench and got the problem lug nut taken care of.

Nice to see big in more than one way...

Nice to see big in more than one way...
Thanks.

It seems to me that a lack of respect for the personal property of others can create a very bad situation or make a bad situation even worse.

I know how difficult it can be to make a cell call from the trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road. Maybe this couple had a cell phone, maybe not. I also know how difficult it can be to get the help of others after dark. Most folks seem reluctant to stop on a remote section of road at night. None of that justifies breaking into my truck to see if there was something inside that could help. This couple was not in danger at all, just anxious to be on their way.

The damage to the lug nut was most likely done through the improper use of a lug wrench. Evidently, it wasn’t held on the lug nut properly when force was applied. The result was rounding off the corners of the nut. Sue asked “How complex can a lug wrench be?”. Evidently, the answer is – it depends.

I know how much I would dislike being stranded at this trailhead for any reason. After having taken the time to pack and cool off I decided to help, if I could. While I was digging out a wrench the woman approached and started to offer a lecture on proper behavior. I suggested that she should return to her car and have a seat while I got out the wrench. She came very close to screwing up her day again (she was the one that dug into my truck). I was able to loosen the problem lug nut and move this couple one step closer to being on their way.

:rolleyes:

Maybe this couple had a cell phone, maybe not. I also know how difficult it can be to get the help of others after dark. Most folks seem reluctant to stop on a remote section of road at night.
Driving to a trailhead in a remote area like Crawford Notch without a cell phone is reckless! They should have been charged by Search And Rescue! :)

Thanks.

While I was digging out a wrench the woman approached and started to offer a lecture on proper behavior. I suggested that she should return to her car and have a seat while I got out the wrench. She came very close to screwing up her day again (she was the one that dug into my truck).

I always enjoy your trip reports and pics. You certainly have lots of great adventures.
I also wish to commend you for your patience. I think the "lecture on proper behavior" would have done it for me. This woman would have found herself standing in the parking lot as I waved goodbye. I would have called the police to get them some help but I would have let her ponder her behavior in the dark of night for a while.
"Entitlement!" It's everywhere. Your can't escape it even in the woods.

Driving to a trailhead in a remote area like Crawford Notch without a cell phone is reckless! They should have been charged by Search And Rescue! :)
I believe somewhere is the sarcasm is some humor. I’m missing it – but I can be a little slow at times. Is the end of Sawyer River Road really considered Crawford Notch???

Earl --

Thanks (as always) for posting your trip report, in particular the link to your photo album from the hike.

Because of the number of shots you take while on the trail (and of the trail), the photo albums serve very nicely as a trail conditions post.

(Very much appreciated!)

Clay
Thanks Clay,

I try to get enough trail shots to leave a sense of the conditions that exist on the route taken. Perhaps someone that follows us can learn something from the pictures that helps to be better prepared. I hope that’s the case.

;)

I always enjoy your trip reports and pics. You certainly have lots of great adventures.
I also wish to commend you for your patience. I think the "lecture on proper behavior" would have done it for me. This woman would have found herself standing in the parking lot as I waved goodbye. I would have called the police to get them some help but I would have let her ponder her behavior in the dark of night for a while.
Thanks Maddy,

We had a really good day on Carrigain. When we returned to the trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road I was in a great frame of mind and I don’t think one self-centered individual was going to change that. She came close.

After thinking about the situation for a few minutes while I packed to leave it seemed like the only good decision was to help if I could and I don’t think one self-centered individual was going to change that. She came close.

I hope their day ended well – ours did.

At the trailhead were a couple and a flat tire. They were having some problems because they rounded off one of the lug nuts probably from not using the lug wrench properly (just a guess). One of them decided to get into the back of my truck to see if there was anything useful there to help get them on their way. I was a little upset to see they had no respect for the property of others. Initially I was willing to help until I learned they had decided to view my truck as public property. After I cooled off I dug out a wrench and got the problem lug nut taken care of.

It seems to me that a lack of respect for the personal property of others can create a very bad situation or make a bad situation even worse.

I know how difficult it can be to make a cell call from the trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road. Maybe this couple had a cell phone, maybe not. I also know how difficult it can be to get the help of others after dark. Most folks seem reluctant to stop on a remote section of road at night. None of that justifies breaking into my truck to see if there was something inside that could help. This couple was not in danger at all, just anxious to be on their way.

The damage to the lug nut was most likely done through the improper use of a lug wrench. Evidently, it wasn’t held on the lug nut properly when force was applied. The result was rounding off the corners of the nut. Sue asked “How complex can a lug wrench be?”. Evidently, the answer is – it depends.

I know how much I would dislike being stranded at this trailhead for any reason. After having taken the time to pack and cool off I decided to help, if I could. While I was digging out a wrench the woman approached and started to offer a lecture on proper behavior. I suggested that she should return to her car and have a seat while I got out the wrench. She came very close to screwing up her day again (she was the one that dug into my truck). I was able to loosen the problem lug nut and move this couple one step closer to being on their way.

When we returned to the trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road I was in a great frame of mind and I don’t think one self-centered individual was going to change that. She came close.

After thinking about the situation for a few minutes while I packed to leave it seemed like the only good decision was to help if I could and I don’t think one self-centered individual was going to change that. She came close.

I hope their day ended well – ours did.

My faith in mankind has been restored by all this benevolence. Happy holidays.

My faith in mankind has been restored by all this benevolence. Happy holidays.

Thanks, I think. As I indicated earlier - I can be a little slow when it comes to sarcasm.

Nevertheless, Merry Christmas!