Catskills: Bear Pen and Vly

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick a good viz day for BP. There are a series of cliffside openings with great views a couple of minutes past the top of the last old ski run.
With the cold weather all that H2O will be a nice solid ice base with snow over it.

Chris,
Peakbagr is spot on. Listen to the man, he knows that of which he speaks! :)

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Thanks Guys!

My plans got delayed...I had a minor cold and didn't wanna go unless I was feeling 100%.

Trip scheduled for February 1st now. Will post pics too.

Ok, things are looking like a go finally.
I remember a canister on Vly back in the '90s but that was a while ago. Still there, right?
Also, any updates on snow/trail conditions would be greatly appreciated. Would crampons be overkill? Did a lot of snow melt these last few days?
Thanks!
IC

There should still be a canister on Vly, no canister on BearPen.

Crampons would probably be overkill, but some kind of traction aid would be needed I think now. All my snow has melted from my yard now pretty much here in the berkshires...

Jay

Chris,
I'd carry crampons. The snowmobile trail could have had running water over it. Microspikes might work fine, but if there is a consistent coating of ice over the snow, rocks or dirt, carrying an extra lb of iron is worth it IMO.

OK, thanks All,
Didn't bother spending the hour+ in traffic to get to EMS and back today to pick up microspikes. Wish there was one closer. Would have liked to pick them up. Anyway...
Will definitely bring the crampons!

Well...the Catskills sure are awesome!
Another great trip. Vly first, then Bearpen. Absolutely beautiful.
A little snow...a little sun...and a little wind. All good!
Up to the col, we bare-booted it although there are some icy spots under the inch-of-snow coating.
Not long after our hike up Vly did we put on the crampons. Some bare rock under the snow but there were, again, plenty of icy inclines.

"Bushwacking" up Bearpen part of the way was much more enjoyable than walking over loose rocks on the snow mobile trail.

Ice conditions were NOTHING like last year as plenty of you know, I'm sure. No need for the dulfersitz this year (just a little plug there hahaha;)).

Would love to see the inside of that hunting cabin.

Kept the crampons on until we came off of Bearpen and then even a little further down the road. Finally they came off...tired of walking on rocks with crampons :(

Can't wait to get back! 12 more peaks for round two!

Last edited: