Catskills Great Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
I hope everybody had a great first Winter hike!!!

After a confortable night at the Denning road parking, in a pinpinmobile hotel, with a couple of B plan in my plastic bag, at 5 a.m. 12-22-09, PinpinCats started with a big plan!!!

The snow condition was old crusty snow,the day before, some peoples used snowshoes & some peoples without snowshoes but everybody had O.K.

First attemp, Table Mountain, without trouble and a gorgious sun set in the top. Old snowshoes tracks to Peakmoose Mountain. When We come back at the col We take the direction to Lone Mountain, good snow condition musly over the crust.

It was early Why do not go more in the East side... without trouble to Rocky Mountain a part was in a old snowshoes tracks!!! Some trouble to go in the Balsam Cap goal, after a couple of dead end (cliffs) We need to stay in the bear path to go down!!!

In this nice sunny day We are lucky, We find a other old snowshoes tracks to Friday Mountain, it was particulary great near the summit.

Now it is too late to go back, We go to Cornell, 1,000 steps before the top, We find the usual trail with perfect snowshoes tracks!!!

We drup the pack near the top, but We are some troubles when We go down in the Wittenberg trail it was little bit icy and the crampons was slepping in the Cornell top!!! We used the back down without trouble.

It was easier We was thinking to return on Cornell, little bit slowly to go up Slide, We tell "good by" a couple of time to the Sun, each time We saw the Sun when We go down the valleys.

We arrived at the parcking close of 12 hours after we started, tire but with a larrge smile in our faces.

Thank You everyboby hiked in this area and helped Us!!!!!

I hope everybody had a great first Winter hike!!!

After a confortable night at the Denning road parking, in a pinpinmobile hotel, with a couple of B plan in my plastic bag, at 5 a.m. 12-22-09, PinpinCats started with a big plan!!!

We arrived at the parcking close of 12 hours after we started, tire but with a larrge smile in our faces.

Thank You everyboby hiked in this area and helped Us!!!!!
Amazing as always! :)

Last edited:
What an awesome sounding day! Just an amazing effort, but I am not surprised that PinPin Jr cracked his whip on you. :D

I thought Junior was retired, in place now is the 3th, no?

Fantastic report as always Rabbits...nice review of your Evo's on ADKHP also!

WW

That is awesome! Plan on doing something very similar over the next few days. Thanks for the report.

Would you say snow shoes were definately needed? Snow deep?

Did you pass through the col between Rocky and Balsam What's it like, choked with balsams?

Pinpin's family....

Happy boxing day...I will work at La Cordee outdoor gears store in few minutes!!!

Una Dogger:

It was not Pinpin Jr, He is retired now and listen Jazz & Blues music and read novels!!! It was PinpinCats: a South cousin of the legendary PINPIN.
Fortunately for me without whip and only kicking.....:rolleyes:

WinterWarlack:
Pinpin 3th He is also retirement, He is making iterview with PINPIN to writhe his memories.;)

Indian Chris:
The snow conditions was near perfect: around 12 to 15 inches with a crust supported Them around 90 % of time.
Because We hiked a long time in a ADK area We always prefer for Us and the next hiker used the snowshoes!!!!! :cool:
The must difficult was to find a place to go down Rocky, many cliffs, the forest was not so bad beetwen Rocky and Balsam, more dence after Balsam but We find old snowshoes tracks, usualy stay near the North side of the edge was the best. little bit more dence before We catched the trail to Cornell.

Everybody have a great winter hike.

PinpinCats

Thx for update....I'm packed to go with Indian Chris and my nephew today...I built a pulk to pull along the neversink for our overnight....whoo hoo...take off today at 3:30....

And, in the family, there is Pinpinvert . You can see it on Annie's knee.

SommetMoosilauke.jpg