Catskills Trails Conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
Anyone been up in the high peaks of the Catskills this weekend past? (April 10-11) and can let me know the trail conditions there?
Thanks for the feed back and Happy Trails.

Catskill Trail Conditions?

Hi, Woodstrider,

I can report on Van Wyck, Table & Peek from this weekend past (still snow on the summits and col at elevation, well packed and bare-bootable), and Doubletop, BI & Fir last Tuesday (hard-pack snow at elevation). Snowshoes not required, crampons probably not, though I'd bring a pair of good insteps just in case.

Happy trails,

Ted

Woodstrider, check the trail conditions reports, they are pretty accurate. The 1-2 feet of hard pack at the tops will not melt quickly, but perhap the rain we are supposed to have for the next 3 days will help a bit.
Snowshoe days are over (unless we get a surprise), but it's still a good idea to bring your crampons depending on the trail.
You could have used an ice ax going up the west side of Sugarloaf last weekend. Not much sun there.
ERD: Wher are you in the Catskills? I am at the east end of the Ashokan res..
Tom

Vly - Bearpen - Doubletop

On Vly and Bearpen most of the snow is gone, there is a bit more near the summit of Doubletop but no need for crampons or snowshoes on the way to those three summits (April 10 & 11), water level is very low in the brooks and the woods are very dry.

Christine

Was up on Doubletop and Sherill this past Saturday (4/10). Around 3000' spots of snow occur getting thicker the higher up. Snow was firm and supportive, access though ledges occasionally blocked by ice flows. Some spotty ice, but not problematic, higher trailed areas may be slippery. Where snow has already melted out above 3000' ground is reasonably dry, below 3000' ground is very dry.

North slopes had more snow but still nothing problematic. Great time to be explore the Catskills.

Catskills conditions

Thanks Ted, Christine, Tom and Warren for your replies.
Yes, this is also my favorite time for the outdoors and I hope to get up there in a week or two to do the Burroughs Range. I'll take crampons for the open book on Cornell.

Happy Trails!