CAVEMAN Down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MtnMagic said:
.....You'll be hiking before you know it........just in time for the snow of winter.

That's the plan! Thanks Majic.

Mad Townie said:
You'll need some new dancing shoes for Bearly Live '07, with that new foot architecture!

Was I dancing last year? :eek: :D

Update:

Went for my second followup appointment since surgery today which is day 12, they took my stitches out and took another round of x-rays. Upon reviewing the x-rays the doctor said that everything looked great and that the screws were staying in place. This is good news, I haven't exactly been sitting still and was a little concerned that I might be doing too much. He said that I could actually start doing more just to be carefull not to put any weight on the toes. I said great and asked, "When do I start walking?" He responded, "If you only had one (foot) done than in three weeks, since you had both, probably not for another four or five." I tried. It was great to see the before and after x-rays, I mean the befores seemed bad before but after seeing the afters the befores seem even worse than before and the afters look even better after the befores. :confused: :D

Forest & Crag

Great idea! Does anybody know where I might be able to locate a hardcover copy? I've done some digging and come up short, currently I have Steve Smith working on it for me too........

I turned up New copy for $23 and many used copies for $4.95 on Amazon.com. You might try your local library. They might not have it, but if they do regional interlibrary loan you might get it that way. I got mine via my local library network. Now that I've read it and see how much good info is in it, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it (Although probably used as I'm saving up for a pony.)

Cheers!

Loose screws

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Upon reviewing the x-rays the doctor said that everything looked great and that the screws were staying in place.

Wow -- you got a doctor's proclamation that you don't have a screw loose!?!?

Whooooopppp!! :D Hang in there bro!!!
-bubba

Wooahh- I can't believe I missed this thread... First, I wish you a very fast recovery, Steve. No hiking will be tough.

Now, I regret we didn't talked about this at the BBQ last August (instead of having tequila's), because I also have this problem, and thought about doing both feet at the same time (same reasons as you).

But my doctor never said I would be in a wheelchair :confused: I guess I need to make an appointment with another doctor.

It takes a lot of courage to do that, but like you said, we will never regret it. I can't hike without feeling the pain anymore, so I planned to have the surgery next spring (I rather sacrify a summer than a winter season of hiking).

Keep me in touch with the evolution of the recovery, and best luck to you !

Julie

bubba said:
Wow -- you got a doctor's proclamation that you don't have a screw loose!?!?

I know, can you believe it?!!! Obviously he didn't read my comment on the before and after shots:

I mean the befores seemed bad before but after seeing the afters the befores seem even worse than before and the afters look even better after the befores.

What the?

timmus said:
.....Now, I regret we didn't talked about this at the BBQ last August (instead of having tequila's)......

Don't EVER regret not talking about surgery over having tequila's!!! :D

timmus said:
.....my doctor never said I would be in a wheelchair :confused: I guess I need to make an appointment with another doctor........I can't hike without feeling the pain anymore, so I planned to have the surgery next spring (I rather sacrify a summer than a winter season of hiking).

Julie, I too was not able to hike without pain and found myself getting out of the car at the trailhead thinking, "This is so stupid, your feet are killing you. What are you doing here?" But most of us here know the (mostly healthy) addiction to hiking :) After around 400 miles worth in a LOT of pain last winter I finally said enough is enough and went to the FIRST doctor who said that he wouldn't operate till fall as the swelling was worse in the summer which raised complications as far as having a cast on was concerned. Since it is "elective" surgery he said he wouldn't argue. My original plan was to have it done in the spring, miss the summer, and be back on schedule for fall and winter. Then the FIRST doctor pushed me out to late December at which point in time I went to a second BETTER doctor who also happens to be an avid hiker, rock & ice climber, all around mountaineer. He told me that there would be no casts as things tend to heal better and they can "get at" the incision to inspect, clean, and take the stitches out. This meant no weight bearing at all though till the bones completely fuse back together, since I had both done I had no choice but to be in a wheelchair - as I mentioned before, AT LEAST 6 weeks. The good thing was he let me pick the date which I timed to be after the birth of my sisters child which still should allow me enough recovery time to participate in the entire winter hiking season. But, there is a procedure that entails simply "shaving" the bony protrusion off which has a much quicker recovery time but usually isn't as effective in the long run and surgery is almost inevitable, especially if you are really active. Are you really active? ;) Right, so that probably will not be an option for you. In my case I had some major displacement in the bones and simply shaving the protrusion off would have resulted in a short term fix at best. My advice: Seek another opionion. Also, feel free to PM me if you want more information or want to discuss further what I am going through.

Steve

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Also, best wishes with any physical therapy which you probably have ahead of you.

Since you have some reading time on your hands, a book that I'd suggest to any outdoorsman is Walden by Henry D. Thoreau. A good book to kill some time.

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
ASP that we telnet our traffic to and fro with an IBM interface allowing us to run pc's on an AS400

Geek. :)

(yes, I know, pot meet kettle)

This would be an excellent time to sign up for Netflix. All you have to do is be able to get to and from the mailbox.

giggy said:
get well soon :) - got some hikin to do

Yes, I know - and with "the" group for dynamics.....I WILL NOT be the one that is getting dragged along by the rope, I promise! I'm doing a lot (of exercises) to ensure that, got nothing else to do, ohh I'm supposed to be working from my house? :confused: OOOPS, forgot about that :eek: :D

WhiteMTHike said:
.......I'd suggest to any outdoorsman is Walden by Henry D. Thoreau

Thanks WhiteMTHike, great suggestion, especially since I haven't read anything by him yet...... :eek:

MichaelJ said:
Geek.......(yes, I know, pot meet kettle)

Seriously....I may have set the computers up and configured them along with the firewall but it was for work, it's not like I have a server at home like some people I know..... :p :rolleyes: