Cell Coverage in the Whites - Best Provider?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found Verizon has about the best coverage in Northern NH, north of route 2 (but real spotty), and spotty coverage in VT.

The company I work for does work ALL OVER New England, and I must say I've been impressed with Verizon's coverage north of the Whites and in some parts of Maine. Spotty like you said, but considering how remote the area is I was expecting nothing at all.

….it seems to be inconsistent in the mountains/summits- sometimes it shows lots of bars but my call won’t go through, other times no problem. If I’m hiking with 1Happyhiker I’ll use his local track phone which seems to always get coverage.

This can be real problem because the phone is talking to too many towers which are too far apart. I once had Nokia phone that I tried to use from high up. The display said "Security Error". It was using GSM (ATT) technology.

So if you are high up, have full bars, and problems with calls going through, consider going down one side of the mountain a little so that phone does not see so many different service towers.

This can be real problem because the phone is talking to too many towers which are too far apart. I once had Nokia phone that I tried to use from high up. The display said "Security Error". It was using GSM (ATT) technology.

So if you are high up, have full bars, and problems with calls going through, consider going down one side of the mountain a little so that phone does not see so many different service towers.

Thanks REMIX- usually I take it as a reminder that this is what I'm trying to get away from :confused:and just put the phone back in my pack!!!!

My experience using the "free" phones that come with a service plan:

Verizon is usually the best.
ATT is not bad.
T-Mobile's coverage is not good, but acceptable along the highways.

Alas, Verizon doesn't fit into our budget, but if you get a CDMA Tracfone (it has to be CDMA - not GSM), it uses the Verizon network. If you don't use the phone much - and don't mind old-style phones - it's a way to get good service.

BTW: If you can swing the upfront cost, you can purchase a Nexus One unlocked (and unsubsidized), then get a SIM card from ATT. I'm pretty sure the total cost is less. EDIT: You can do this, but you won't get 3G on the ATT network - just EDGE. Instead, you'd probably want to wait for the rumored ATT and CDMA (Verizon) networked versions of Nexus One.

Last edited:
While I seldom carry phone on a hike Verizon works well for me around the mountains..LG kind..
I would be hard pressed to switch..

get the gear!!!

Get some cool gear and a tracphone. I've got one, and I love it - and its cheap enough that if I dunk it in the river, no biggie, I'll just get a new one.

Verizon, hands-down. Their ads comparing their coverage maps to AT&T are quite true. I know many an iPhone user, for example, who gets squat for coverage around the entire Twin Mountain area, if not much of the Whites (though Bretton Woods seems to have their own tower and service?)

Have you considered the Droid as opposed to the Nexus? A friend of mine has a Droid and it handily outperformed the iPhones, service-wise, out in Colorado, and software-wise worked very well. It also has an absolutely beautiful display on it. Of course, there's also the question of the lock-in with Google: it requires GMail, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts to work fully. That's what keeps me from getting one.

I am a long-time T-Mobile customer, and can't recommend them for decent coverage in the Whites. I have coverage around the major towns, but even Lincoln/Woodstock is spotty. I get a good signal above tree line in some areas, but I find I always have the worst coverage among the people I hike with.

I have AT&T and got a call from my brother when I was high above treeline on the Air Line en route to Adams. I took the call (because I couldn't believe I received it) and had almost full signal strength. I went to the Red River Gorge for my B-day last March and had very good service, even at some of the crags.

I've been happy with AT&T for the past three years. For two years before that I did not own a phone. For five years before that I had Sprint. I lost service in many areas North & West. I did get service on the Red Line which none of my friends did.

All things considered, I have heard that Verizon is the best. My Bro has T-mobile and uses my phone when we go up north.

Joe.