Children and crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfeet

Reaction score
For all of you out there with youngins who winter hike; What age have your kids starting using crampons? I know it is very subjective and depends on the individual. My 7 (almost 8 year old son) and I did Mt Pierce on Tuesday. We both wore Stabilicers ( I don't want to wear my crampons while he is wearing something else). The Stabilicers were ok most of the time but the lower portion of Crawford Path was very icy with a dusting of snow over it and the desent down to Mizpah Hut via Webster Cliff Trail was too steep for them to do much good. With each trip he is stronger and I become more confident in his abilities but I am still nervous that he will fall with crampons and either stab himself or me :eek: . What are your thoughts?

I feel strongly that, with the right instruction, and a short field practice kids can handle most anything that an adult can ....short of brute strength tasks.
I wouldnt practice on Osceola E Peak, but yes, Clinton or Lonesome Lake would seem to be great places to start the crampon inititation.
Living in Franconia my kids started early and each climbed Lafayette at 4 yrs old safely. Of course they still dont speak to me :)-).
Good luck .

My daughter was 10 and son was 12 when I bought them their 1st crampons. We opted for Targa 6 pts. as they fit there feet much better than full size ones did, and the lack of front points is easier on shredding the pants.

My son, now 15, moved up to 8 point "Climb Highs" as he is more adult in size than kid now. They seem to do him fine. I really like the 6 point "strap ons" for younder kids, as opposed to stabilicers or those types of setup, particularly for above treeline icy travel. Way better traction.

*** EDIT***
I searched for a link to the ones I bought for my kids, but it seems I can't find them anymore. They are however, just like the Stubai 6 Point Crampons I found. Although, this link is to Amazon, I'm quite sure you can do MUCH better then $62. I'd bet you can find similar ones for $40-$45 with a little effort.

Last edited:
As long as they want to they can do it.My son started winter camping and climbing when 6,by 8 more agresive stuff when 12 we did a lot of ice/slide climbs.we both shreded a few pants and gaiters,in spruce traps and slides.He had one bad fall on veraglass ice,fell,self arrested,lost ax and landed in snow and brush with one stab wound in lower leg easily patched up and finished climb.