Classic Bonds Traverse for W48 Completion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
4:45am RT-302
Warning-This is Long, sorry

The moon was setting through a veil of wispy cloud as we headed up Zealand Road. Jeb Bradley, Bill Swaffield, Bob Shilo, Ed (Oldman from VFTT) and I passed a logging truck near the bottom. The driver was putting chains on for the steep hill ahead. Soon he zoomed passed us while we jumped onto a snowbank. It was cold, about 0 degrees, Bill said it was 21 on top of Mt Washington.

We knew that Bryan was getting a later start and he’d join us a little further up the trail. The plowed road ended about a mile in and then we strung out as the track stretched out before us. This was my fourth winter walk up the road and in the dark we just put our heads down and trudged on. My big Petzl lamp lit up the frozen sidewalk nicely, so I led.

We regrouped at the summer trailhead and Jeb led the way as dawn began lighting up the east. Only a mile in, we were able to switch off the lamps. A beautiful pink sunrise gave us our first views. Bob asked what the mountain was ahead and I said it was just a knob on the way to Zealand Mt. The Zeacliffs were lit up in salmon colors. It looked like we’d be able to bareboot right up to the hut!

Before we knew it, we were at the hut, it was 7:15am. We were happy to discover that a group who’d stayed overnight had broken the trail out as far as Mt Zealand. Time to sit for a bit, and sip on some hot cocoa. It was 27 inside the hut and 9 outside. Bryan came in the hut, he’d flown up the trail an hour quicker than us!! He told us that he also hoped to finish his winter quest today on Bondcliff.

We had our longest break of the day here and soon donned snowshoes for the climb up to Zeacliff. I love this trail, it goes up very steep then gives you a short break then steep again. The binding on my snowshoe failed so I had to cobble it together. In less than 45 minutes we were at the top. I think in winter with frozen conditions like this it’s even quicker than summer.

We took a short break at the cliff so folks could take pictures. This is the place I proposed to my wife in 2002. A couple of fighter jets played over the snow covered mountains. We regrouped again and Jeb led us at a good pace towards Mount Zealand. I knew that knob lay ahead of us.

In the past, I’ve named this knob Mt Stupid PUD. It’s a steep climb up and of course, my strap became loose again on the roughest section. So I carried it, slipping and sliding up to the top of Mt Stupid PUD. My last time here, it was socked in and very cold. But on this morning, it was clear and the views were stunning. I might have to rename this knob.

Thankfully, Bob had some duct tape and I repaired the buckle on the rear of my right snowshoe with a healthy dose of it. Jeb again led after some pictures. It’s a pretty nice hike from here to the spur of Zealand. We seemed to get there pretty quickly, about an hour from the Zeacliffs. The group that had broken this out did a nice job. The little walk to the sign was easy. Last March on Eric Savage 48th, this place was a nightmare of low hanging ice branches.

From here forward our trail would be unbroken. Bob took the lead and broke through several inches of windblown snow and deeper drifts. The trail was easy to follow, down, down we went through particularly beautiful snowy woods. Pretty soon we were at the bottom of the col.

Bob did a great job but it was a grind getting to the first hump of Guyot. I love this summit, you are just surrounded by mountains. Pretty soon we were at the second round hump. West Bond and Bond were right there, temptingly close. Bryan took over the lead and we headed down into the scrub under bright sunshine. The forecasted high winds were not here yet.

Bryan led us down into the bright little col, what a great spot for a lunch break. Someone had dug a snow-cave here but it was half filled in with snow. It felt really warm, the sun beat down on us and we soaked it up.

Off again, we headed up and over a little hump. There was a confusing spot where it looked like the trail should go up. Bryan fell armpit deep in a nasty spruce trap. We chuckled and Bryan smiled while pulling himself out. I found the trail and down it went through a tunnel of white blasted trees. From here it was an easy follow of blue blazes.

The col was finally reached and I followed up through a dead looking stand of fir. As the trail headed up steeper, my old worn down snowshoe crampons wouldn’t bite. Jeb and the others passed for the final 100 yards to the summit. Bryan and I celebrated our 46th winter peak.

Ominous thick dark clouds rolled over the Franconia ridge heading our way. 20mph winds played over the beautiful summit. This is one of my favorite spots and it was even more stunning in winter. We slipped and slid down, I took a nice sideways fall and set off a mini-avalanche. I was laughing as I reached the bottom. The others did a much better job, maybe it’s time for some new snowshoes!

I led the way back, Bob and I talked most of the way, the climb back up to our lunch spot really didn’t seem that bad. Re-grouping again, Bryan led us up the long, easy climb to Bond. I was starting to tire a bit. At Bond, the guys congratulated Bryan and me for #47. Bondcliff was in the clear but the sun got hazy as the dark clouds rolled in.

Now we had an easy downhill until we hit the rocky area and then it was lots of bare rocks and some ice. Winds were still really light, I had been somewhat worried about this area. Now at the bottom, Bondcliff stood high above us. It was spooky feeling as wispy clouds raced over the summit and our sunshine began to fade. It was about 2pm.

Jeb led us and really set a nice pace over windblasted bare rock and ice. His pace felt perfect, I was hungry and tired. Trudging up, I had some time to reflect on many winter hikes and all the amazing moments of adventure. The six of us, banded close together as we climbed up and over the knob and then up to the summit.

I let out a whoop as we reached the top. Bryan and I shook hands and congratulated each other, Bill patted me on the back and congratulated me as did the rest of our team. I supposed you have mixed feelings on completing something like this. It’s a dream realized and it’s also the end.

I walked off alone for a bit while Ed walked over to the cliff for the classic shot. I knelt down and prayed, thanking God for giving me the strength to do this amazing thing. We didn’t celebrate up there, it was getting windier. I don’t think we ever hit anything over 40mph. It was great snowshoe skiing down the steeper part. Sometimes it’s good having worn down snowshoe crampons!

Lower down, we stopped and some of us pulled out cokes. I relished the sweet sugar and caffeine as it hit my bloodstream. We ate snacks and the team toasted our success. What can I say about the rest of our trip? The snowshoe skiing was incredible on the steeper spots and the flat sections went on too long. Finally, the Wilderness Trail!

We passed some campers near the junction and I was jealous of their warm supper and smoky fire. Soon after we switched on headlamps and trudged onward. We ticked off the trail junctions as we passed, the Osseo is always a welcome relief to tired eyes. We moved at a pretty good pace and just about 14 hours after beginning, we crossed the bridge. Six tired men walked out of the woods.

It was an incredible day and I said a big thanks to these new and old friends. I hope
to be there to watch Bill, Jeb, Bob and Ed finish their winter 48 too. It’s been great sharing so many of these hikes with you.

I also want to say thanks for the many winter legends I’ve had the privilege of sharing these adventures with. I’ll miss some of their names, but here goes, Cath, Kevin and Brutus, Frodo, Drew, Sherpa John, Tom and Atticus, Stevie B, Al, MEB, Amy, Mohammed, BigEarl, Bob and Geri, Eric S and Glenn. THANKS!

I also want to say thanks to my wife for supporting me through this journey. And to my Lord and Savior who gives me the strength. From Moriah to Bondcliff, what a great 8-year journey. What’s next? What the heck, lets do it again!

Congratulations to Bryan!:)
Pictures
http://www.kenyaevangelicalmission.com/bond1.html

Last edited:
Congratulations!

And thank you!

How was the route-finding on the Bonds? What clues did you use?

The blazes, though low on the trees were still visable and you could also see the old deep track if you looked. The only confusing spot was heading to West Bond. You'll see the big hole where Bryan was trying to dig a snowcave :) There is nowheres near as much snow up there as there was last March. Have fun out there.

yes, congratulations jim. what a great day. thanks to all of you guys for letting me join you. hope to do so again in the future.

bryan

Most excellent, Jim - congrats on a great accomplishment.

Nice TR Jim and congrats to you and Bryan on your W48 completion. I had a great time hiking with you and your friends on Saturday. Thanks for letting me tag along.

It really was a great day to be in the mountains. We had sun for most of the day and the winds were no where near as bad as the upper summit forecast predicted. The temperature was perfect, not so warm the snow was melting but a very comfortable mid 20s.

The pictures you posted were great. Here are the ones I took on the trip...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/570020578DHXDcd?vhost=outdoors

Nice TR Jim and congrats to you and Bryan on your W48 completion. I had a great time hiking with you and your friends on Saturday. Thanks for letting me tag along.

It really was a great day to be in the mountains. We had sun for most of the day and the winds were no where near as bad as the upper summit forecast predicted. The temperature was perfect, not so warm the snow was melting but a very comfortable mid 20s.

The pictures you posted were great. Here are the ones I took on the trip...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/570020578DHXDcd?vhost=outdoors

Thanks for sharing Ed! I like your avatar and the pictures were great. I agree, it was a perfect day. It was nice to meet you.