Cliff in the Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistair

Reaction score
Does anyone have info on this years winter route to Cliff? I'm thinking of a mid-week assault sometime in the next 2 weeks.

The normal route from uphill leanto should be a highway right now. It was opened on Jan 30 and done by me and at least one other on Jan 31. I didn't see any tracks coming from the direction of the winter route. It looks like someone may have tried the new approach that the 46ers are working on at the HOL a little before the leanto.

Which is shorter, from the LOJ or Upper Works?

HarryK
Can't do this weekend. Climbing Marshall 2/3/05.
I'm hopeful for Cliff Sunday 2/27/05.

Oops, got the dates mixed up in my previous post. I meant the 29th and 30th. I guess I couldn't have done it on the 31st since that's today and I seem to be sitting at a desk.

The route to uphill brook lean-to from upper works is shorter if you are counting miles. From upper works 7.5 miles and from the loj 7.9 miles. I calculated the mileage from the ADK guide book. My first winter attempt to do Cliff I started from upper works with the intentions of climbing the winter route from flowed lands. This would be shorter if the trail is broken. My last trip to Cliff I started from the loj. As I said before it is longer but when you think about crossing the two lakes it seems like it could be quicker. The other thing to consider is where you are starting from. I live about two hours north of Lake Placid so the loj is a nice place to start from. Also I like the hike better from the loj because of Avalanche pass.

The quickest route is from the UW across Flowed Land and up the NW face. Pin-Pin set the route last winter and many others followed. Maybe he'll be kind enough to do it again this winter.

Clifff

Hi Alistair and other,

Pinpin Junior was in Cliff path last Saturday, We cut by a short cut after We go down Redfield, bur when We go down We returned by the usual strating path cairn!
The snow condition was a little bit unstable over the blowdown and We go up by curve over the col before We returned in the usual path,
We made a couple of second tracks when We go down and the down tracks was better.
Juste take care and lose your over weight when You will past over the blowdown place.

I think We need more snow to take directly over flowed lands!!!!

Have a great time.

Pinpin Junior ;)