Clips of Cave Dog on ESPN tonight, November 29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
Fifty hikes in 50 states in 76 days, I think they said, is a new record. He's Number 10 on tonight's Top Ten. I glanced up at the TV and thought I recognized the Adirondacks...

If you're still up, they'll probably repeat it later.

Update: They just showed it again a few minutes past two o'clock a.m. Cave Dog was the first person to complete 50 50-kilometer hikes in 50 states in less than 100 days.

Congratulations again to the top Dog!

Last edited:
You can still see Ted on the Top Ten this morning (9:53). It will repeat at 10:53, and 11:53. And according to Raymond, possibly at the top of the hour too. I'll edit it in if I notice it and the time.

Great quote during the countdown about Cave Dog: "...that guy must still be listening to Ted Nugent..." :D :rolleyes: :p

Way to go Ted!

Just saw it on Sports Center

Sitting here shaking my head. Never thought 'hiking' could make the ESPN Top Ten. It's now the Sports Center mantra - "Cave" this and "Cave" that. Funny.

Cave Dog was heading to NYC today, so maybe we'll see more. They were trying to decide what to film in NYC for the upcoming OLN TV series on it - maybe by CD breaking a tape in Central Park or Times Square. They hadn't decided on a 'finale' yet.

Thanks Raymond. I caught it just after 2am and again after 3am after seeing your post. Those showings were the same as the x:53 showings in the civilized morning. Sports Center typically runs over and a bit more than an hour late at night.

Hmm, #10 of 10 on the top plays of the day, and below a lot of run of the mill NHL, NBA, and NCAA plays :confused: :( :confused: -- tough crowd. It is amazing to see hiking getting a mention at all though.

Nice footage from a variety of locations. Congratulations Dog and Team!

Interesting article. It looks like the Dog Team has done well in putting out PR statements as both the Oregon and Boston articles contain similar statements.

I was very glad to see that Duofold's sponsorship was picked up in the Boston article. We should be very thankful for Duofold's voluntary sponsorship in the sports we support and enjoy. Duofold is also a large sponsor in NYS's Junior Ski Racing Association.

Be very cool for Jay Leno or Letterman to pick up on this. IMO, it would be an entertaining human interest interview. Looking forward to seeing the other coverage, so keep posting any news.

bubba said:
Interesting article. It looks like the Dog Team has done well in putting out PR statements as both the Oregon and Boston articles contain similar statements.
Same writer, bubba. As well as in my Saratoga paper this morning. He put the story on the wires (AP) which is how a story spreads around to different papers all over the country. I'm sure most of the papers near where CD hiked would have grabbed the story too. Good for Ted, and good for the writer. I had a story about one of my businesses go AP and got grabbed by nearly 200 papers in over 30 states! It made the local Saratogian writer happy, and helped give her next career bump a nice boost. Let's hope Ted formed a great partnership with Doufold and has many more dreams now within easier reach.

I assumed that the Team put out a Press Release that contained written information, quotes and historical references. I thought each newspaper or radio picked it up and turned it into their "own" article, using what they felt was relevant to their market and space available. Of course, that's from a business PR perspective, certainly you 'writer types' may have a different angle to take.

Seeker... you reading this??

Uh, no

The team has never been that organized. :rolleyes:

The Albany Times Union had the AP story on page three of the Main section, with a big picture

I do like the way the writer called it a 'national outdoors milestone', rather than a 'world record' - ESPN's take on it.

Congrats!

What a fantastic adventure!

I'm elated to hear the Ted and the Dog Team were able to complete this remarkable and unique challenge. What an amazing experience it must have been for them, having the opportunity to see so many stunningly beautiful and historic areas of the US in such a compact time frame. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing the film footage!

Somewhere out there, perhaps a remote forested peak in the cosmos, Bob Marshall's spirit is smiling :D

Well done, Dog Team!

As always, The dog continues to astound.

In reading the article, and then poking around to his site a bit, I was trying to find this out, but couldn't. Perhaps someone here knows. AND I certainly don't mean to sound critical, or to take away from this monumental feat, but I am honestly curious about this.

I know this was billed as a "tribute" to the great Bob Marshall, and I also know, sometimes when people do these goofy :D things, they do it for a particular cause, or to raise awareness to a certain plight. Take VFTT for example, Darren has always been vocal that, while this site serves a fundermental and vital "vitual hiking comminuty" for us, to him it's also a direct avenue for him to support a cause that is very near and dear to his heart, The Brain Tumor Society. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I aways got the impression that the continued presence of the site (partially anyway) is Darren's GIFT to the rest of us for the continued support of that cause by the NE hiking community. Other examples like "Flags on the 48" comes to mind here too.

Does the DOG have a motivating factor, or cause that he champions? I tried to look though his site (he needs a new web designer :D to match his physical prowess). Was this, or any of his amazing physical pursuits for that matter, done as like a charitable drive or an awareness thing for a particuar cause? Was that what the whole "tribute" aspect was to symbolize? If so, what a great opportunity he has to "get the message out" being on such a "veiwable" main stream stage. We've all known about Ted for years, its now nice to see him get some more visible recognition.

I'd love to know, and pretty much thats why I'm asking. I'd LOVE to support whatever cause the dog is barking for :D. Betcha I'm not alone.

Not that there has to be a cause involved. I seem to recall the Cavedog montra used to be something like "just living my live to the fullest" or something to that effect. That's cool too I suppose. I'm curious either way

Help me out if you know, Thanks.

Last edited:
Tim, I think his motivation is all personal. Possibly a way of life for him -- to pursue these challanges, do the things that he loves to do, and have the self gratification of being able to go for/obtain the record.

Possibly these adventures could turn into a book or documentary someday, but as you noted, and as far as I know, he doesn't embrace any particular cause. True, with publicity that could be due him, he could certainly get out word for a cause he felt worthy.

I'm trying to figure out what you have to do to become a member of the Dog Team. Wondering just what the initiation would be?? Keeping up with Ted?? :eek: And just who decides what your "Dog" name is??

bubba said:
Tim, I think his motivation is all personal. Possibly a way of life for him -- to pursue these challanges, do the things that he loves to do, and have the self gratification of being able to go for/obtain the record.

Now I'm really envious, both that he can and, well......... he can. :D Thanks Bubba

It's easy

bubba said:
I'm trying to figure out what you have to do to become a member of the Dog Team. Wondering just what the initiation would be?? Keeping up with Ted?? :eek: And just who decides what your "Dog" name is??
To paraphrase Woody Allen - 90% of life is just showing up. That's how I got started. Didn't know a Cave Dog from a Cave Man. I emailed him after reading his account of the Long Trail record attempt in 2003. Joined up in June 2004, was told to get a dog handle and the next thing I new I was massaging his feet with vaseline and shaking Gold Bond powder down his pants in the middle of the night on the top of Mt. Ellen :p

Your initiation may vary. :eek:

Solstice Dog

Motivation?

mavs00 said:
I know this was billed as a "tribute" to the great Bob Marshall, and I also know, sometimes when people do these goofy :D things, they do it for a particular cause, or to raise awareness to a certain plight.
<snip>
Does the DOG have a motivating factor, or cause that he champions?
<snip>
I'd love to know, and pretty much thats why I'm asking. I'd LOVE to support whatever cause the dog is barking for. Betcha I'm not alone. Not that there has to be a cause involved. I seem to recall the Cavedog montra used to be something like "just living my live to the fullest" or something to that effect. That's cool too I suppose. I'm curious either way
It's hard to put into words, and certainly I don't speak for Cave Dog, but doing what he does isn't really hard to explain, if you spend time in the mountains, with or with out Cave Dog. What's not to emulate about Bob Marshall? In his Fourteen in One hike in 1932 he said:
Thus I have carried a little farther the fantastic pastime of record climbing......Certainly it is a mark which any reasonably vigorous person in good physical condition can equal if he tries it when there are long daylight hours. In fact, it would fit perfectly in a class with flagpole sitting and marathon dancing as an entirely useless type of record, made only to be broken, were it not that I had such a thoroughly glorious time out of the entire day.
and from Cave Dog:
“What better way to give tribute to someone than to do what they love—and what I love,” Keizer said.
Praising a past legend was just one facet of the trip, which was sponsored by outdoor apparel company Duofold.
“Seeing the country, feeling it on your feet as you pass over it, you get a real appreciation for how rich and diverse this nation is,” Kaizer said. “That was one of the main components of this challenge.”
and
"Over the years, people from all parts of my life, from grade school to college to my various travels, have been with me through all sorts of challenges. They did not know each other before these challenges, but now they have developed friendships beyond me. It is one of the great aspects of these challenges. They bring people together to attempt a seemingly insurmountable goal. When it all comes together, it is beautiful."
I dunno - it's just something that people like Bob Marshall, Ted Keizer and others do that sparks something in the rest of us who seem to understand it - something intensely personal and at the same time universal.
Yup - just an entirely useless type of record, if not for the glorious time they had doing it. Same way I felt doing the Great Range or a Presidential Traverse, or helping set the Long Trail record.

50/50 is way cool !!!!

I'm sure that CaveDog is doing what he is doing because it exciting, fulfilling, and gives him a sense of accomplishment. As Burg and I got when we did Katahdin and Washington in the same day. I think it's great that CaveDog is living out his dream. And he's drawing a lot of attention to the outdoors as well. When Lance Armstrong started competitive cycling he didn't have a cause. He did it for the self fulfillment. But after having gone through fighting cancer, Lance made cancer his cause. And some day when Ted see's someone close to him go through some horrible illness. He will probably become focused on fight for that cause. In the mean time I hope he keeps pushing the limits. I love reading about the Crazy Hikes that he does.

:)