Clouds and Lake of the Clouds...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Given the tremendous opportunity that I have to shoot the Southern Presidentials and Lake of the Clouds with some regularity, I'm always seeking out something different with the light and clouds. I think that I have achieved different tonight...

This was taken about a half hour after sunset, with a long (30 Second) exposure). Winds were near calm, and the clouds were just dancing around the hut. Then they broke over the west side of the southern ridges...and this is what I came up with.

Compositionally and tonally does this work for you. Thoughts and impressions and honest critiques always appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Canon 20D + Sigma 18-200mm
30 Seconds @ F14
ISO 100
Polarizer
B&W Conversion in Channel Mixer...

68634.jpg

Wow, great shot! I feel like I'm standing right in the midst of all this sudden activity. I've noticed you've been using a Sigma 18-200 lens. How long have you been using it, and is there a new and older version of this lens? I think all the shots I've seen of yours with this lens have been excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful photo, and a great choice for the black & white treatment.

I won't even make my usual cropping recommendations (but you can bet I tried some variations, just to see what it might look like)!

G.

ROCKYSUMMIT said:
Wow, great shot! I feel like I'm standing right in the midst of all this sudden activity. I've noticed you've been using a Sigma 18-200 lens. How long have you been using it, and is there a new and older version of this lens? I think all the shots I've seen of yours with this lens have been excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, glad the shot works for you.

The lens is great because of it's versitility. It's a good contrasty lens, but not that sharp, especially at the long end of it's range. I mostly shoot it pretty wide, and it's fine. Besides, MOST sharpness problems are minor enough that they can be overcome in Photoshop.

In an ideal world, I would own a 17-40 F4, a 50 prime and a 70-200 F4. But this works...

Awesome shot! The 30 second exposure really helped make the clouds appear more misty. And I like that it's in B&W

Optical illusion?

On topic: Nice shot. 30 sec = frothy clouds. Spooky.

Off topic: In almost every wide angle shot of LOC Hut I've ever seen, it appears that the hut is tilted, as if it's ready to slide down the Ammonoosuc Ravine. Not sure if it's the lay of the land, slope of Monroe, whatever. Anyone else have this illusion? No, I will not share my mushrooms.

dvbl said:
Off topic: In almost every wide angle shot of LOC Hut I've ever seen, it appears that the hut is tilted, as if it's ready to slide down the Ammonoosuc Ravine. Not sure if it's the lay of the land, slope of Monroe, whatever. Anyone else have this illusion? No, I will not share my mushrooms.

Funny you say that, I have to agree. I have even attempted to fix it in my long tele shots thinking it was me who was crooked taking the shot. Now I use a bubble level and know it is they who are wrong!!!

Love it

Great shot. Love it. Gives the sense of danger or as I feel it "mountain excitement"

Very nice shot. It has a Bradford Washburn feel to it. The long exposure really enhances the clouds. Nice BW conversion too, very contrasty.

- darren

Grumpy said:
Wonderful photo, and a great choice for the black & white treatment.

I won't even make my usual cropping recommendations (but you can bet I tried some variations, just to see what it might look like)!

G.
Am I the only one who thinks the hut is too far down in the corner?

Tom Rankin said:

Not my photo, but....My answer would be that the clouds are the subject of the photo. The hut is there for scale and to show its remote location adds more doom and gloom to the clouds.

If you haven't hiked there before you will probably hardly notice a hut on the mountain. The hut is not important in this picture.

Brambor said:
If you haven't hiked there before you will probably hardly notice a hut on the mountain. The hut is not important in this picture.
Well, I disagree again! The hut makes the picture!

Tom Rankin said:

I apreciate the thoughts, and the discussion that follows. My intention was to anchor the sea of clouds with the hut, and had a good deal of challenge doing so. I cropped a bit from all sides, and it didn't seem to work with more room at the bottom, and more room at the top.

It's always my intention with this view to highlight the hut, sometimes, like yesterday, the supporting cast doensn't quite line up ideally. I appreciate all thoughts and critiques, as I did struggle to pull this together. I'm encouraged that it speaks to many of you though! :)

Thanks all!

Tom Rankin said:
Well, I disagree again! The hut makes the picture!

For me the picture is the clouds, then the ridge. The hut is just a "oh ya, there's the hut" and way down the food chain.

Funny how people see different things.

- d

kmorgan said:
I didn't even notice the hut until someone mentioned it.
That makes two of us, despite the thread title and Jim's description. I was having some trouble reading the scale of the scene before it was mentioned. The hut is very important for that reason. I doubt that moving the hut in the frame would have helped me find it -- in time I would have spotted it. It is a great study of clouds moving over and around mountains. Nice job.

I didn't notice the hut either until somebody mentioned. For me, the focus was the clouds. I really like the feel of this photo and the b&w was perfect for it. I do like that the hut is in there to help give a sense of scale. Great pic!