Cold weather sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
I'm looking for advice on a winter bag. I'd like something lightweight that would be good for below zero nights. I haven't decided on down or synthetic. I realize the benefits and limitations of each. Price is a concern. I doubt if a Western Mountaineering bag is in my budget. I would prefer a woman specific bag, but would consider one that wasn't.

Any ideas???

There was a -40° bag at IME last weekend for $350 downstairs in the consignment section.

I would stick to a woman specific bag to save on weight. I have 2 that are awaiting Mrs. Right :), a 0° and -20°, both synthetic, and they weigh 3.51 and 4.50 pounds respectively. My mens 0° synthetic and 15° down weigh 4.76 pounds and 2.87 pounds.

I have 3 down bags, my middle one is a Downright Voyager which is "rated" 0 but is good to about 25. This is their "-15" bag new on ebay. You could probably win this auction for about $110.00. I'd say in a decent tent, with 2 pads and winter under garments that this bag would take you to zero. My below zero bag is a Valandre Nuptse that is rated to -40, but these are expensive.

I also put the 2 pads and bag in a light weight bivy/bag cover to keep the whole package together. This always helps in the winter.

Last edited:
EMS has a -20F synthetic on sale for $151.20 and they have a -20F down bag for $309. They will have a 20% off sale starting Fri, 21 Oct.

REI has a -20F synthetic for $285 and a -20F down at $319.

standard disclaimer--I have no connection with EMS or REI. Just a customer.

Doug

I've got a Chinese made -25 degree 775fp down bag sold by a company called "The Backside". Have used it just a few times - once in the -20 / -30 degree temp range; seemed okay. Definitely not the quality of a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag, but it works for my needs.

But... it's larger than the average sleeping bag. Fine for stuffing in all of the stuff that one needs to keep warm overnight (water bottles, boot liners, etc.) but probably too big for the average sized gal; way too much space to keep warm.

If I recall correctly, BackSide had a web page (I think they were based in Salt Lake). Don't remember if they had any gal-specific products or not. Might be worth a look.

And... if they DO sell an appropriately sized bag, definitely shop for price. The -25 degree bag was being carried by a number of different e-tailers at prices ranging from $225 - $400.

FWIW, The BackSide was also selling a -50 degree down bag.

And both the -25 and -50 bags would periodically show up on eBay.

Another possibility. Rather than investing in another sleeping bag, if you have one that handles somewhat cold conditions, think about investing in things that can extend the range of what you have. A VLB inside, and a bivy on the outside can extend the range considerably. Plus... you can use the bivy as a bivy as well., or even with your summer bag, to extend that.

Nadine, check out The North Face outlet in Freeport next time you have a chance. They often have pretty good bags for decent prices. I got my Dark Star (-40 synthetic) at their Portland outlet during their big sale, for under $200.

Kelty makes a -15F high quality (750+) full featured down bag, the Quasar, which can usually be found for less than $300 new...

Hi Pete,

I did consider that option, but the added weight and space of two sleeping bags together kind of blew that idea. I'd rather have something that weighed less, so I could fit it in my backpack easier. Most of the time I use a pulk in the winter, but if there's not enough snow to pull the pulk, then I would need something small enough to fit in my winter pack without taking up all the space.

I think I'm leaning towards the the Minus 20 REI Kilo for 319. Has anyone used this?? They have a smaller size that would fit women better. 700/800 down fill, waterproof breathable, weight 3 lbs 9 oz. or about 1.6 kg.

Nadine

Last edited:
Nadine said:
I think I'm leaning towards the the Minus 20 REI Kilo for 319. Has anyone used this?? They have a smaller size that would fit women better. 700/800 down fill, waterproof breathable, weight 3 lbs 9 oz. or about 1.6 kg.
I have a REI Kilo Plus 0 (0F) and an EMS Mountain Light -20 (-20F, $309). Not a direct comparison, but the Mountain light seems a little warmer for the rating.

You might want to check both out. And if you can wait for the sale, 20% off on the EMS bag.

Doug

Hi DougPaul,

I checked out both bags. They're both rated minus 20. The EMS bag will save me more money, and it was my first choice, but they only have it in Long, 6'4". I've looked all thru the website and couldn't come up with the same bag any shorter. Any ideas?

Nadine, one of my buddies with quite bit of outdoor experience, bought the REI SubKilo (20d model) last year and used it on 3 trips where temps were in the mid 30's with his wife in a 2p tent. He was bitter cold (and bitter about the bag) and miserable those nights. He sent his back to REI, feeling that they really stretched the temp rating on the model.

Don't be put off too much by the cost of down... aside from the obvious weight advantage, the durability of a quality bag will far offset the lower purchase price of synthetics. I have an old Alpine Design down bag, -15F, purchased in the mid-1970's that still functions well. A lightweight bag liner will easily provide an additional 5 degree warmth for nominal weight & bulk.

REI bags

I have a -5F down EL from REI and its great. With a silk liner and hot water bottle I am toasty even in January in NH last year.

Nadine said:
Hi DougPaul,

I checked out both bags. They're both rated minus 20. The EMS bag will save me more money, and it was my first choice, but they only have it in Long, 6'4". I've looked all thru the website and couldn't come up with the same bag any shorter. Any ideas?
My EMS Mountain Light -20 is a regular length:
Item #210-177-947
Wt 4lb, max user height 6ft, shoulder girth 62 in, stuff size 9x18 in.
(Yes, I save data sheets from the web sites. Can be useful...)

Perhaps the regular is simply out of stock. Ask at a store. (The people at the Burlington MA store have been pretty helpful to me--781-229-9797.)

BTW, there were some comments in a Backpacker Mag review of the the REI Sub-Kilo 20F bag that some felt the rating was a little optomistic. I haven't pushed my REI Kilo-Plus 0F to its rating so I can't comment.

While I haven't tested the EMS -20F bag to its limits, it looks to me like it can do the job. I have measured its loft--9in.

If you can get to the stores, I'd check them out in person. (Just did the circuit on Sat--if only this thread was a little farther along, I could have checked out the REI bag for you...)

Doug

Many thanks DougPaul :) :) I'll call the EMS in Augusta to see if they have any in stock, then wait for the sale :D

Sounds like the regular will be fine. I'm 5'5" so a 6 foot bag will give me enough room to sleep with my boot liners.

4 pounds is the weight range I was hoping for :) and it compresses nicely so I'll have enough room in my pack for beer :D

Thanks for all your help,
Nadine