Colvin & Blake hike-10/10/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
The plan was to hike Colvin, Blake, Nippletop & Dial….but the weather, mud and late start changed us to Colvin & Blake. We were planning our big hike for Sunday, ..the better of the weekend days.

JayH, Drewski, Swamp, Juniper, & Darl58

With all the rain Friday night and into Sat morning, none of us were moving too fast to get on the trail. Parked at St Hubert’s parking area, which was filling up pretty fast and started the road walk in.

The water and mud made it for slick footing once we got to the Trail. It was fairly steep in some sections. We made it up to Colvin summit in snow/sleet mix with no views, only shadows of what we knew would have been visible.

At this point Drewski decided to return down and the rest of us made a fast track to Blake. The rocks were very slick with the rain and mud caked shoes, but we made pretty good time over and knew we still had the return back to Colvin.

As we neared the summit of Blake the sun came out and lifted our spirits a little and we spent time on the summit enjoying a snack & beverage break.

It was pretty chilly, so off we went back to Colvin and this time were rewarded with beautiful views of Ausable Lake and the Gothic’s, and other peaks JayH pointed out.

Down we headed now, already thinking of food, hot shower and a nice fire. I found out we passed J.Dub and Paul as they were running up to Colvin, didn’t recognize them so passed with hello’s only..

A great day hiking with lots of the ADK mud to play in….(how do you guys get that crap off your pants & boots????)

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/ColvinMtnBlakeMtnADK101009?feat=directlink

Nice photos Darlene, I'm going to try to put up a trip report from Sunday tonight....

Like those shots from the golf course towards Giant, colors in the valleys were spectacular, a trough of red maples, compared to the yellow beechs and the oranges/yellows higher up... Add a little of snow and hail, and it's fall hiking at it's finest..

Jay

That's perma-mud, Darlene, its there forever...cherish it...its the mountain's special gift to you. :D

Great job, guys! And awesome pictures!! I had no view from Blake so I really appreciate seeing what's really out there.

That's perma-mud, Darlene, its there forever...cherish it...its the mountain's special gift to you. :D

Great job, guys! And awesome pictures!! I had no view from Blake so I really appreciate seeing what's really out there.

I like presents, but not so much the mud....pants are in their 3rd washing..:cool:

Nice pictures Darl! I told you... those 2 tone pants are "in" don't try washing them, like Sabrina says It's there forever.

Phil, I'm trying, but the muddy look pants are winning right now..:confused:

I almost miss the mud.
Great shots !
I can't believe you walked right by Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head !
The views from there are not to be missed;)

I tried, but beer and fire was mentioned and it wasn't to be,,,,,,:eek:

I remember going in to the restroom at the ADK High Peaks Info Center after a hike once and seeing a pair of hiking pants -- really muddy ones -- stuffed in the trash! That's some serious mud up there, I hope your pants make it, Darl.:)

I ended up throwing out an old pair of shorts after doing a face plant on the way down the ward brook trail from Seward. Adirondack mud is actually harder to remove than oil paint... H'mmmmm maybe I should bring some of that mud back to paint my deck with. :D