Conditions on Hale?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
Anyone know the conditions on Hale? Is there snow and ice on the way up yet? Is Zealand Road close at the gate yet?
I am thinking of taking my wife on an "easier" 4K that she has not done yet and was wondering what Hale is like right now.

Thanks,
-Pete

Was on Hale a couple of days ago, no snow or ice (I came up by the Firewarden's trail). I do not know about the Zealand road, but the Haystack Road to the N. Twin trailhead was open.

That said, some snow is expected tonight. My guess is that by the weekend it will be melted on the road, but that there will be some snow/ice on the trail.

Added: Latest forecast calls for little, if any, snow tonight. From the NWS Twin Mountain forecast update at 9:35AM:
Tonight: A chance of rain and snow showers before 1am, then a chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Last edited:
In looking back at last year, Zealand Road, Haystack Road, and Sawyer Road were all open on the weekend of Novemer 22nd, but closed by Thanksgiving. Would expect the same this year.

Not sure about Hale, but tops of Lafayette, Garfield, Cannon, Kinsman, etc all covered in white this morning. Snowing in Bethlehem and Franconia this evening. Snow didn't stick in those areas, but in Franconia Notch is still covering the ground.

In looking back at last year, Zealand Road, Haystack Road, and Sawyer Road were all open on the weekend of Novemer 22nd, but closed by Thanksgiving. Would expect the same this year.

2 years ago, Haystack was open the day after Thanksgiving (didn't check the others) so just maybe there are 3 weeks or more left for those roads.