Courtesy to hunters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rivet said:
Quite possible. I started from the same lot at around 9:15am. I wasn't too worried about hunters once I reached the ridge.

Saw a couple of dogs on the trail not on a leash (oh, the horror :eek: ). One of them had an orange vest on. Cute. :)

Hey Rivet. We started hiking at 9:15 as well so we must've seen you. We also saw a dog with an orange vest. Are you sure you weren't stalking us? :p

fine folks of VFTT so glad more of you that seem to be more articulate than me jumped in here becuase the longer i argued the less articulate i got. becuase i would get hot and just say what was comming to mind as i typed.
i have come to one conclusion in all this some peoples mind are just closed and no matter how much reason you use it will stay closed.

one last thing i will say to holdstrong. hunting has been going on since time began, hiking is a recent activity.

everyone enjoy the woods no matter how you enjoy them. me i enjoy in several ways.

The end of this, maybe

Its nice to see this is starting to calm down. It would be even nicer if no one feels they have to get in the last word, and this thread dies. Oh, well.

Actually, this is pretty amazing, 6 pages and nary an epithetthrown. Not that is hasn't been a bit heated. I am amazed that it hasn't required locking long before this point.
Holdstrong, I think it's fair to say you got a pretty good answer to your question:
Yes, other folks have noticed and no, no one really cares.
Some very eloquint points I would say have been made, and reading them carefully CAN be very enlightening for some of us.
Hike on,
Tom

I hunt and let me tell ya'll sometin, I dont go more than a mile from the road because if I am lucky enough to get a deer, I dont want to have that long drag back to the car. Some people go way back into the mountains looking for the big buck, but there are less deer in the high peaks (Blackhead Range, Slide, Hunter etc) but they are bigger. Some people set up a camp way back, or maybe go for a few days for bears and camp, but overall almost nobody goes way back except for the inexperienced "weekend warrior" who doesnt realize the situation he will face if he gets a deer. So just be nice and make sure you WEAR ORANGE.

TomEske said:
Holdstrong, I think it's fair to say you got a pretty good answer to your question:
Yes, other folks have noticed and no, no one really cares.

Tom

Yep, and my participation is done here thanks to this.

The thread started out with a cartain tone and a certain assumption - that hikers and hunters equally share the land this time of year (and therefore hikers somehow owed it to hunters to make certain concessions)... and now it seems some of us realize that this is just not the case.

If, collectively as hikers, we do not care about this inequality (however slight or large we percieve it to be), that is fine. As I have stated several times, I personally don't see anything wrong with it, but at least we will make that judgement based on the reality of the situation, and not some false notion about mutual concessions or equal use of land.

I am not sure it was worth getting blue in the face over, but I must admit to be happy the point is finally home.

Yikes!!! I swear to the VFFT community that I was only looking for some practical advice on the matter! Orange it is.

I would like to apologize to holdstrong and the memebers of VFTT. I got a little hot headed and did not choose the best words to use, and holdstrong did not deserve the tone of my posts. Happy hiking to all and I promise to keep my cool in the future. Happy trails to all.

I would like to apologize to holdstrong and the memebers of VFTT. I got a little hot headed and did not choose the best words to use, and holdstrong did not deserve the tone of my posts. Happy hiking to all and I promise to keep my cool in the future. Happy trails to all.

Nicely done! Your apology shows respect, and lots of class.

Passionate subjects elicit passionate responses. Heated debates often deliver even more knowledge than otherwise would have been provided. Kudos to all for keeping this thread interesting, informative, civil, and albeit heated at times, very entertaining. :)

(.... And thanks to the moderators for giving this discussion the time to mature to this level ...... well done.)

I agree

I actually agree that I don't wear orange out of courtesy, but for self preservation. And I wear a LOT of orange. I don't feel I owe hunters anything, and I wear blaze and walk carefully this time of year because hunters carry (and fire) guns, simple as that.

I wish hunters the best and hope they enjoy their time in the woods, like everyone else. That said, hunters need not worry about a small minority of careless, stupid or otherwise impaired hikers hiking them to death, do they?

Wow! A lot of energy expended for that "non-issue"!
If it's your turn to shoot stuff over here,I'll go hike over there :D
There,that was easy.
Actually,I'm curious about what areas and times are designated for hunting. I have only passed hunters on a trail once. We don't generally start backpacking until late Nov-early Dec. What and where should we be concerned in the WMNF or NH State parks?

KayakDan said:
Actually,I'm curious about what areas and times are designated for hunting. I have only passed hunters on a trail once. We don't generally start backpacking until late Nov-early Dec. What and where should we be concerned in the WMNF or NH State parks?

For NH, see posts #3 and #14 earlier in this thread; for NY State, #87.

hikers somehow owed it to hunters to make certain concessions
You don't have to make any concessions...do us all a favor and wear white gloves and hat when you hike, maybe even put on some antlers.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the woods, someone has to throw some gasoline on the fire. Can all the kiddies around here PLEASE let this thread die? At this point, its only further purpose is an attempt to
one-up each other.
The fire is now throwing only heat and no light, lets give us all break, will 'ya?
I'm a hiker and an occasional hunter and the thread has irritated folks on both sides. I'm tired of replying to PM and email complaints. Next bullet and its gone.