Crag Camp/Gray Knob question(s)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
My cousin is planning on taking his daughter to one of these camps next week - if he can get up there by noontime midweek will have trouble finding space?

Also - do people filter water from the spring up there, or is the water OK?

I have only been there in snow conditions and had to melt snow for water so I am not sure.

I'd think he wouldn't have trouble finding a space, I've gotten there later than that on a weekend and had good luck. And I always filter, better safe than sorry, but I think Crag has a hose running from the spring to the camp for water, so maybe a lot of people don't filter. Do they still have that running water from the spring??

Even with the running water hose, I'd treat. It's a surface spring in an area that gets a lot of human traffic.

Mid-week they won't have a problem. In summer I prefer Crag Camp, if there aren't many people there they can get their own room.

-dave-

My daughter and I spent 4 days at Crag during the first week of September last year. It wasn't full on any of the nights: about 10 people Labor Day night, 4 on the Tuesday, and we had the place to ourselves on Wednesday night. Can't say what it will be like in August, though.

I don't filter the water from that spring. :eek:

From RMC Camps Chair

Crag is usaully busier in the summer months then Gray Knob - The camps are almost never full to capacity during the week, and there have been plenty of nights this summer with no guests. There is a hose to Crag, and also a new one has been placed close to Gray Knob, that keeps you from having to go all the way to the spring. It is suggested that you treat all water, though some choose not to. There is always parking available at Lowes Garage, some weekends have seen overflow parking at Appalachia on the roadway.
Have a good hike

Last edited: