Critique Request: Saco Ice Flow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I shot this early this morning, with a great display of Alpen Glow. Curious on your thoughts on the overall shot and composition. Thanks in advance

Techs:
Canon 20D w/Sigma 18-200
ISO 100
6 Seconds @ F11
Polarizer + 2 Stop Soft GND + 5 Stops ND Filters
Tripod

IMG_8952darkeditsmall-vi.jpg

Very pleasing photo, Jim. I like the stones in the foreground. These with the curved river back leads the eye to the mountain. This is a good example of foreground, middle ground, and background in a photo.

The two stop GND filter is the correct choice. That is generally the correct amount for balancing a scene and its reflection in water. As a result the mountain and the trees are in proper tonal balance with their reflections. Without the GND the reflection would be two stops (4x) darker.

The 5 stops of ND was also a good choice as it enabled the slow shutter speed which gave you the long motion streaks in the water. Without it the shutter speed would have been a factor of 2**5, 32x faster, (or about 1/6 second). Those streaks would then be very short staccato stabs, and not pleasing to the eye. The long streaks help to break up the dark central portion of the photo, which might have otherwise overwhelmed the picture. Without the streaks we would have a more exact reflection of the trees. Exact copy reflections are often pleasing, especially in still ponds. A still reflection would have been misleading, and we do not want it here. The long streaks emphasize that this a fast moving river.

I might have liked a little more red in the alpen glow, which was probably present in reality. But if you exposed for that, everything else would have been darker also. The trees would have become a black hole in the center of the photo which is never desirable. I like that we can see some truck and branch detail in the trees,

A contrasty scene like this provides many challenges, and I believe you met those challenges very well.

Jim,

The image is very nice. I really like the blurred motion on the river that you got from using the CP and ND combo. Great work on exposing the mountain and the reflection.

There are two things that I can think to comment on. One is that the snow in the foreground is too light compared to the available light in the rest of the scene. I have definitly seen photos with GND mismatch much worse than this one (I've taken a lot of them) but it is just suttle enough here to raise an issue for me.

The other thing is that the mountain appears too small in the photo IMO. I know you can't make the mountain bigger (it would be cool if we could have bigger mountains around here). The snow and stones in the foreground provide a nice lead in to the photo, but they dominate the scene compared to the nwo small looking mountain. I cna't do it right now, but how about slicing a sliver off the top (just above the full pine tree on the right) and then cropping the shot just below the reflection. it would make a horizontal shot and would feature the mountain more prominently.

I'm just thinking here. To me, the subject is the mountain and it's reflection, but my eyes keep going to the white snow and the rocks in the lower left.

I really like the work you did and appreciate the effort involved. keep it up.

- darren

Filter Management

Jim,

First of all, great photo, as a beginner I am not in a position to offer any advice on improving the photo.

I do, however, have a question for you. From reading this post and your previous posts I have gathered you are using the Cokin p-series GND filter system. Also, from this post I am infering that you used the p-series system in conjunction with a circular polarizer. I am just now entering the world of GND filters, and am using the Cokin p-series.

My specific question is, do you have any advice you can offer with respect to managing a circular polarizer with the cokin p-seris mounted on top of the polarizer? I was playing around last night and it seemed quite difficult, especially if you were wearing gloves in winter. Just curious if you have any advice and insight on this topic. Thanks!

Great photo!

Jim,

Fine work - I very much like what you did.

I don't know that I would have done anything differently. The only thought I had is that if you wanted to get more of the mountain in the photograph, then perhaps a location further downstream towards the mountain with a larger/deeper forest clearing above the Saco is possibility. But finding the same ice & shore detail would be near impossible. You could give up more of the shore to just frame the mountain & reflection, but I think the foreground anchors your composition very well, indeed.

I agree with others comments - the low-light conditions make it a challenge to boost color and contrast without also giving away detail in the darker forest/trees,etc. You pulled off the exact right balance in your composition.

Really great work!
--LTH

wow. very nice, I can't take pictures like that. there are 4 or 5 strong elements here: snow, stones, ice, river, pine trees, mountain (Mt W.?) eachl very simple but I think they add to the photo.

maybe you could tweak a little by cropping in from the sides slightly (that pine tree on the right is halfway in the photo).