Looming Through the Window...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
UN tortured reflections...

I took this Saturday morning in Pinkham Notch, I'm sure many of you know the spot. The clouds were mainly uncooperative, but I had about a minute with this window!

I'd like to hear thoughts on the mood and overall dark feel of this image. I can perhaps open up the shadows on the hillsides a bit more, but am curious if you are not bothered by the dark band dividing the frame...

Also interested in the placement of the elements in the shot.

Honest thoughts and critiques appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Canon 20D w/ Sigma 18-200 @ 30mm
0.4 Seconds @ F11
ISO 100 2 Stop Soft GND
Polarizer
Full Frame

1970777802_281fa7a702_o.jpg

Another beautifully romantic, and dramatic, shot.

I'd like to see the dark shadow areas opened up a little bit -- a hint of detail seems to be wanted.

I also found the rock ledge in the forground a little confusing -- it blends in with the dramatic sky reflection a bit much to make a really effective frame. Can this be adjusted to improve the separation without creating a distraction from the reflection?

G.

The lighting on the peak is made dramatic by the frame of the dark upper clouds and the shadowed trees and rounded ridge below. After that I get lost with the image. The light road/path nearly dead center is distracting along with the ‘sand bar’ at the center right. Usually reflective shots that are split in the center create symmetry but there are a couple elements (sand bar and foreground rock) that are disruptive to that. I’m not sure if you mean foreboding or lack of light when you say to comment on the dark feel of the photo. I do not get a sense of foreboding. The lighting, the frame of the hills and clouds and the reflection are, to me, the key elements but the rest of the image does not seem to add much to the overall effect.

Do you have more images from that spot?

JohnL

Overall I like this very much. It is a good example of how these short window opportunities often produce a stronger image than a scene where everything presents itself immediately.

I am not really bothered by the dark central band, but a bit of lightening would be quite acceptable to give a little more shadow detail. I agree that the foreground rocky ledge/shore does blend too much with the sky, and perhaps it could be darkened.

I think the road is the main distraction. The additional thing I found unsettling is that only a portion is in the reflection. That in itself is probably good, but where it terminates at the lower point in the frame almost appears to be a manipulation. I am sure that it is not a manipulation. Undulating slopes have this effect, and calm reflections are often not mirror images. It does appear that the slope on the upper elevation of the road lessens - so it is blocked in the reflection. Similarly a bit of the bottom of the road is blocked in the reflection by the more level shoreline. All of this just added to the distraction while my mind sorted it out. I am not sure that much could be done about the distracting road.

Thanks for your thoughts...

I really struggled with the road, if I put the road on the side, I lose the house, if I moved too much...no reflection. I gave up and went for the big picture and hoped the road wouldn't show too bad. I think it does though...

As for the foreground element. Two comments about that makes me want to do something about it. So with the (ice) shelf...lighter, darker, more or less saturated, or cropped? Thoughts very much appreciated!

w7xman said:
As for the foreground element. Two comments about that makes me want to do something about it. So with the (ice) shelf...lighter, darker, more or less saturated, or cropped? Thoughts very much appreciated!
Knowing that it is ice helps to explains why it is so similar to the water reflection. There are areas where the ice is lighter than the adjacent cloud reflection in the water -- darkening those areas might create less separation. So I would try upping the saturation. That should make the texture in the ice more noticeable in contrast to the smooth water, and hopefully provide more separation.