Crossing A Brook/River?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wromanow

Reaction score
How does one cross a stream/brook/river in mountains safely after rain the night before? When do you turn back and not cross the stream/brook/river? I was hiking with my wife and came across a somewhat swollen Whitewall Brook. We ended up turning back, since Ethan Pond trail was close. It got me thinking about water crossings, especially in the colder months.

That's an excellent question, and it will be a judgement call for each person.

I grew up around brooks and streams, so have developed a good sense of my own comfort level just by looking at one whether it's ford-able with a degree of safety, but generally speaking:

- Your safety margin is increased greatly if you have poles.
- If the water is approaching your knees before you're at mid-stream, reconsider.
- Regardless of depth, if the current is making you unsteady, reconsider.
- If the water is cold, and you begin to loose feeling - turn back quickly. Really tough to stand-up if you can't feel your feet, and the loss of feeling can occur rapidly in these conditions.
- Loosen/undo the straps on your pack. People have downed by falling in, getting their pack snagged, and been unable to undo the straps. I saw this nearly happen to a fellow in less than a foot of water, but ... it was February, frightfully cold, and he panicked. Fortunately, 2 in the group were fireman/EMT's and he was out of the brook in a heartbeat.

Very hard to give specific rules for when to turn back. Force of current depends on water depth and speed, but just as important are the nature of the bottom (slippery? loose? full of sharp rocks?), hypothermia risk, and presence of other hazards (just upstream from a rapid or fall? rocks rolling in the stream?)

If you search around you can find a thread discussing specific techniques for crossing more safely. It doesn't hurt to practice. But do so before the weather gets too cold. By mid-October, I usually start trying to keep my feet dry.

Last edited:
The hydraulic pressure of water, even14" to 16" deep is tremendous. Always move sideways as your upstream leg will force the water around it, and your downstream leg is braced.
Take a look at the bottom. Freestone streams(round rocks and boulders) are more treacherous than gravel or sandy bottoms. The large rocks can form erosion pockets behind them and you can go from 16" to a deep hole downstream of the rock. Also, if the water is flowing quickly and you put one of your feet on a 'portable' rock, it can trip you and the water force on both legs makes you fall.
1, or better yet, 2 hiking poles give you more stability and let you poke ahead with one of them to be certain of the next steps.

Watch out for downed trees downstream. Sweepers(the ones above the water) or Strainers(the ones whose branches are underwater) can be dangerous if you lose your feet and are swept. Water pressure pushing you against the branches can be a dangerous situation, especially with a pack.
As Kevin said, always unsmap sternum and waist belt.
If you're really uncertain, you can always tie in to someone on the shore and if you fall, they can reel you back. Once across, you can bring them across to you the same way.
Obviously the conditions above are on the extreme end of things. For me, the water pressure and stream bottom are the 2 key things in the usual NE situations.

walker said:
Why is Ethan Pond Trail closed, where, for how long, and is there info somewhere about this?

Thanks...Walker

I think what was meant is...

The trail is close/nearby (to the Zeacliff Trail where the water crossing was dicey) - not that the trail was closed...

walker said:
Why is Ethan Pond Trail closed, where, for how long, and is there info somewhere about this?

Thanks...Walker

I think wromano meant 'close by', not 'closed', when he said "close".

If memory serves, Whitewall Brook crosses the trail to Mt. Carrigan. Maybe they went back down Sawyer River Road and hiked to Ethan Pond Trail instead.

I take off my boots and socks, and find a good stick to cross a river. I keep my stance wide and at an angle to the current, and take every step carefully. If it's too cold for my bare feet, then I don't risk the crossing. Hypothermia comes quickly when you are wet. Then again, when I hike I have no real destination, so there is no real pressing need to cross. the side I'm on is just nice as the other side. ;)

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
There's a good section on stream crossing in Freedom of the hills that you should probably want to revisit. Two things that come to mind:

1) Cross where the river is wider (current will be weakest there)
2) If you cross on a log, make sure you fall downstream, otherwise you might get stuck under it by water pressure as someone else mentioned

Fish

I'm guessing that Wromanow is talking about the crossing of the Whitewall Brook on the Twinway. I maintain this part of the AT and was working on the Trail last Saturday when rainy conditions made the crossing very sketchy. All of the above stream crossing advice is excellent, but may not apply well to this particular crossing. On Saturday, and at other times when the water volume and level is high, this crossing is somewhat more vertical than a typical stream crossing- more like a waterfall. This crossing is additionally complicated by three large logs jammed on the downstream side of the crossing. The logs may seem appealing as a bridge, but they are slippery and angled uphill, easier to descend heading (toward Zealand Falls Hut) than to ascend (toward Zeacliff Overlook). It may be of interest to know that a ladder is kept at Zealand Falls Hut which can be used to assist at the crossing if someone is caught on the wrong side of the brook. I think Wromanow was wise to change plans if the conditions were similar to what they were when I was there on Saturday. As for me, I just closed my eyes and jumped, knowing that I was with two able-bodied guys who would fish me out if I missed.

forestgnome said:
If memory serves, Whitewall Brook crosses the trail to Mt. Carrigan. Maybe they went back down Sawyer River Road and hiked to Ethan Pond Trail instead.
Whiteface Brook travels through Carrigain Notch; Whitewall Brook travels through Zealand Notch.

-Dr. Wu

13 Falls

We departed Galehead Hut last Saturday morning at 8:00 am with a plan to cross at 13 Falls to bag Owls Head, That didn't happen, the rain over night swelled the water to near flood stage, there was no safe way to cross. We asked the 13 Falls tent site care taker if there was another possible crossings sites, he said if you can't cross at the Lincoln Brook Trail your not going to be able to cross anywere eles. It was tempting to try but with the strong current, the cold water and 50 degree air temp. it would have been foolish to try, one slip and we would have been down over the falls. Better to be safe and come back another day to bag Owls Head