cute bed & breakfast/condos to stay in btwn Xmas and New Years?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckerz

Reaction score
I'm taking the soon-to-be-Mrs. up to the Whites for some snowshoeing. Last winter I took her for an overnight in Gray Knob and she was not happy.. something about it being too cold.. i dunno :)

So this year we're prolly gonna bag a peak during the day and spend the night in the warm confines of modern day heating.

Can anyone recommend a bed and breakfast or a condo type place to rent for a few nights? Or is anyone out for those days and need an engaged couple to watch their place?

email me privately

ruckerz at gmail dot com

Thanks!

Oh yeah, we'll prolly try the Kinsmans, or Carters... (so anywhere near those peaks would be fine).

Bungay Jar B&B is on Rt. 116 in Easton NH, about 5 miles south of Franconia and two miles south of the Mt. Kinsman Trail trailhead. You can see the Kinsman ridge from it. I love Gray Knob too but B.J. may be more to your fiance's liking. Bungay Jar, by the way, is the name of the local wind, Easton's equivalent of the sirocco.

My wife (non-hiker) & i will be stay'n at Chet & Sue Thompson's place in Easton 12/28,29,30 - it's the only place to stay in the area IMO! Try it & you may agree. Be sure to tell em Mark from Fla sent ya! :D

Whoops, forgot to tell ya the name is Kinsman Lodge. :eek:

Hey W my friends from Easton told me "Bungay" was the big south wind thru the notch in advance of front, didn't know the "jar" was on there too... :cool:

Last edited:
Yep, Bungay is the name for a vanished town (down at the corner of 116 and 112), and Jar means wind, I assume. Here's the scoop:

"Local lore in the Easton Valley says that the Bungay Jar is an old logging term for a wind that rushes through the Valley several times a year, particularly in the winter and early spring. Originating on the slopes of Kinsman and Moosilauke Mtns, The Bungay Jar whips through the Valley in weird configurations, creating a unique roar that can be heard throughout the surrounding countryside."

Spend enough time in the Easton Valley and sooner or later everybody hears it, the old timers say.

By the way, Gris, the Kinsman Lodge is in Franconia not Easton even if you can stand on the front lawn and throw a stone down south into Easton. These distinctions are important, you know, in small towns. Eastonians and Franconians are two different breeds, as Robert Frost joked (note Bungey):

"New York (five million) laughs at Manchester,
Manchester (sixty or seventy thousand) laughs
At Littleton (four thousand), Littleton
Laughs at Franconia (seven hundred), and
Franconia laughs, I fear—-did laugh that night*--
At Easton. What has Easton left to laugh at,
And like the actress exclaim "Oh, my God" at?
There's Bungey; and for Bungey there are towns,
Whole townships named but without population."

Last edited:
Excellent stuff Waumbek! Now i can correct the locals and throw a little Frost at em too! BTW - i've experienced the "Jar," about three years ago one March. Ya know they built a covered tennis court up at the Franconia Inn several years back and the Bungay quickly tore it down! ;)