Day Hike Suggestions - Smokies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowandsteady

Reaction score
Medfield, MA & Jackson, NH Avatar: Wildcat!
I'm looking for day hike suggestions in the Smokies. We will be staying at a conference in Knoxville, TN in May. Was there about 20 years ago and hiked around Mitchell and LeConte but would like some an easy drive from Knoxville but with some solitude.

We really enjoyed hiking Chimney Top -- an easy four-mile hike if I remember correctly, but with a great (very short) chimney climb to the summit. There were a few other people on the trail but there was only one other person who climbed up the chimney while we were there (meaning that everyone missed out on great view.)

- Ivy

The Appalachian Trail from Davenport Gap to Mount Cammerer is a really nice section of the A.T. ... well away from the crowds at the far northeast end of the Park. I've been through this way twice but regretably didn't take the .6 mile side trail to the summit on either occasion. 5.8 miles one-way from the Ranger Station to the summit, I believe. There are other side trails you can also utilize.

Mount Cammerer

Last edited:
My friend who now lives in GA and I hiked in the Smokes two consecutive summers. There is so much there. We just got the map and had fun selecting which ones we wanted to do. We did all the waterfalls and much more. I cannot remember the names.
I do remember that some areas of the park have a high black bear population. We had a a real bear encounter at one the trailheads. He got up on our car and my face was about 12" for his. He was trying to break the window with his big paw. He then walked around the top of the vehicle and then resumed his attempt to break the window again. Finally he left and so did we. Other hikers that were coming out told us that bears had crossed directly in front of them on the trail.
Cades Cove is prime bear habitat and according to my bear book, most of them are in the northwest quarter of the park. We biked at Cades Cove and saw mom and cubs several times. Unfortunately a lot of really stupid people feed them and this causes problems. There is a $5000 fine if you get caught feeding them.
I spoke to a ranger after the incident. They try to collar and relocate these troublemakers. The ranger told me that he carries only power bars and he double bags them. If he eats one, he double bags the wrappers. We never carried food after that incident.
I have my little friends picture framed in my living. It is a real "closeup"! :eek: :eek: :eek:
It's a wonderful place and real "smokey". We had grand time there and I would love to go back.Hope you have a wonderful experience.
Happy hiking.

If the Thru Hikers are still there, it may be hard to find solitude on the AT but I think most of them should be through there by then.

In 2005 I did two day hikes from Newfound Gap, one to LeConte & the other to Clingman's Dome. Started both in the early AM (6 to 7) & was done in six or so hours. When you start at 5,000 feet, getting to 6600 feet is not that hard. If I had time for another day hike, Chimney Tops would have been my choice.

If leaving from Knoxville, you will want to get through Pidgeon Forge & Gatlinburg before the traffic starts. IMO they make North Conway seem deserted. (Then again I was there in early July.)

Porter's Creek Trail is well known for it's great wildflower display in May, with 30-40 species. The creek itself is quite lovely too. It's 3.7 miles each way, starting from the Greenbrier trailhead.
PortersCreek.jpg

Porter's Creek

Atop Mt. Cammerer is a unique building with great views. It can be reached from the Low Gap trail and AT out of Cosby Campgrounds off Highway 32. The trailhead parking lot does not require a fee. 5.6 mile one way, moderate hike. The easiest trail to Mt. C, is the AT from Davenport Gap about 10 miles from Cosby on RT. 32, The road narrows and becomes winding. (Even though the road does turn to dirt after the AT, it does get you back to the Interstate) The hike up to MT. C is 5.8, but the ascent is a gradual incline up a wide trail Riding my bike up 32 to the trailhead was more difficult than the hike!
Off of 321 15.7 miles `east of Gatlinberg is the Albright Grove Trail leading to an old growth forest with huge trees. You could go past that to Maddron Bald and Snake Den Mt. about 7 miles, part of it steep. For an easy hike through the woods, hike along the Old Settlers trail from Greenbrier Cove, near jct. of 321 and 416. There are nice picnic spots along the Little Pigeon River right along the road. Oh well, choices are endless with over 800 miles of trails in the park! BTW the AT to Charlie's Bunion is 4 miles from Newfound Gap--a rewarding view, but expect lots of company, which is fine, as long as you are prepared for it. From the Gap you can also hike (or drive) up to Clingmans Dome and it observation tower.

rambler said:
Well, Mark S, I did not get a view from Clingmans or the Bunion, but was rewarded at Cammerer. The note the ridge line in #101, a typical wooded up and down.

Yeah - the Smokies are great. Been down there 3 times myself. The first 2 were attempts to traverse the 70-mile section thru the Park that both turned into their own kind of misadventures. The 3rd time was strictly about tagging Clingman's Dome on a highpointing trip. Great mountains.

Here is a 2 mile hike (one way) that will get the adrenelin flowing: hike up to the jagged Chimney Tops from a trail off the Gap road up from Gatlinberg just beyond (uphill from) the tunnel.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2971407940045831896IOEWgU

From the top of the road up to Clingmans hike along the AT to Silers Bald, c. 5 miles. It is one of the few sections of the ridge where you actally get some nice views as you hike including the one from Silers Bald.

Western NC is a great place. I went to school out their for a year. In the foothills. We did some Kayaking out in the rivers. Only did a little hiking in the foothills and trail running. You cant go wrong whatever you do especially the 6000 footers.
When I retire this is the area I plan to retire to. You cant beat the weather and scenery as well as the southern charm.