Day Hikes in Jefferson?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I'll be staying in Jefferson for a week at the end of July. I've got some ideas for some day hikes in the area but I was wondering if any of you have any personal favorites. Something along RT 2 would be ideal. Also, does anybody have any favorite eating establishments in that area?

Thanks.

Hard to pick favorites considering the northern presidentials are right down the road.

Assuming you only have one car

Even though the Link is despised by many (including Dave Metsky), it is a real handy option to do the Caps Ridge up Jefferson and the best part of the Castle Trail until treeline. The Link is used to get back to the Caps Ridge trail. Its rooty, rocky and longer than most people think but usually this comes at the end of the day so its burned into most folks memories. If you do the loop bring plenty of water as you are above treeline for a large portion of the day with no water until the last stretch of the Link.

The other Loop I like to do with one car is up Jewell trail to Gulfside trail, over to Jefferson, down Caps ridge then down Jefferson Notch road to the Boundary Line trail then back to where you started.

Madison Gulf trail up and Osgood trail down from the great gulf.

Castle Ravine Trail is a nice way to get away from the crowds, as with any RMC trail, lots of options to get back to where you came from.

Icy Gulch in Randolph for a hot hazy day (see the recent thread).

Mt Hayes in Gorham via the Centennial trail. There are options to make a reasonable loop by taking a logging road back to Hogan road from the Mahoosuc trail and then back to the trailhead but it would require some minor navigation. Its pretty obvious on Google Earth.

I have done Moriah up Stony Brook, then down CM trail to Gorham, then over the swinging bridge, take a left, then past the town pool and back down RT 16 back to the trail head.

I don't know of any great places to eat in Jefferson or Lancaster (except for the popular slices of pizza at the Jefferson Corner store near the Waumbek trail), I can recommend the Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin (RT 16 north of town). Its fresh berry season so they offer fresh berry pie which some folks plan their vacations around. They have the best seafood in the north country but the whole menu is great.

Hard to pick favorites considering the northern presidentials are right down the road.

Yeah...this is very true. Only one on the Pressies then:

Along route 2 and close to the town of Jefferson, I can recommend the Castle Trail on Mount Jefferson. Beautiful, rugged, rough, unique ridge. View of Jefferson from trailhead is nice. Presidential Range Rail trail links this to Lowe's/Appalachia/and further for bike spotting, walking as well.

The Crescent Range on the north side of the valley in Randolph (Randolph and Crescent Mt's) is a nice, more gentle and forgiving day than one the northern Pressies . Lookout Ledge has a stellar view of King Ravine and the NPs and is a fun 1+ mile steep trail up (or opt the longer, gentler route from the east). The rest of the ridge is further on and up. Nice feel to these.

One I highly recommend in the area from Appalachia is a loop using Valley Way/Fallsway then Inlook to Kelton Trails and out Sylvan Way. It amounts to 4 miles but has some really good climbing for a short stretch, great views from the open rock at Upper Inlook and Dome Rock, cascades, and the Sylvan Way is aptly named. It's a nice forest to walk through - not a heavily used trail. It's short but if you don't want to go above treeline one day, this by itself or combined with a trip up to Lookout ledge across the valley is a good day.

You'll be very close to Owls' Head and Mount Martha as well...quite a bit around here...

I've always considered the Northern Pressies on the US2 side to have the best hiking in the Whites. Pick a trail - any trail - and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Would like to put in a plug for checking the appendices in the WMG - there's a section in there which describes best short hikes, medium ones, etc. I agree with all their choices, so if in doubt - pick one that Steve Smith & Co. recommend.

I'd list my own personal favorites, but for the most part it would simply be a list of all the trails on that side of the mountain, so there's no point in my doing it. :)

... I'd list my own personal favorites, but for the most part it would simply be a list of all the trails on that side of the mountain, so there's no point in my doing it. :)

That's just what I was thinking!

But I was just there, with a freshly (05/27) trimmed-up knee making an inaugural hike up the Valley Way to the (aptly named) Scar Loop..., and was hankering for Adams via King Ravine and down Airline. This is at the top of my local to-do list there, and should be a good candidate for the fit and exposure-tolerant.

I'd also put in a plug for a walk up the Madison Gulf headwall, although it's around the corner from Route 2. It was the shizz and a bag of chips.

There are a lot of trails I have yet to discover over there, but having just spent a week there (catching fish instead of hiking), I can report that it's compelling!

There's a new BBQ joint in Gorham called Ice Gulch (which I hear is quite a trip on its own!). They had excellent steak and scallops in their market section; didn't dine in.

Speaking of Ice Gulch, try the Randolph Mountain Club guide to local trails: good back-story info ("Appalachia") and ideas, as well as necessaries on the trails themselves.

The fishing was excellent in the mighty Androscoggin, especially below Errol Dam, but also at South Ponds and in the Upper Ammonoosuc in Stark.

The Perch is a tiny patch of breezy heaven: on a good night, no tent needed.

Tell us where you end up!

Even though the Link is despised by many (including Dave Metsky), it is a real handy option to do the Caps Ridge up Jefferson and the best part of the Castle Trail until treeline. The Link is used to get back to the Caps Ridge trail. Its rooty, rocky and longer than most people think but usually this comes at the end of the day so its burned into most folks memories. If you do the loop bring plenty of water as you are above treeline for a large portion of the day with no water until the last stretch of the Link.

This is an excellent suggestion if you only have one car, we just did it at the beginning of the month. Caution: I don't mind the Link at all, as a matter of fact the stretch between the Caps and Castle is probably the easiest going of its entire length. However, there is a lot of rotten root growth between many of the boulders. At least 3x I went in (down actually) into some root traps as far as my waist, luckily was able to extricate with no prob, but there are some good places to wrench a knee in there.

I really enjoy the stretch between Starr King and Waumbek, very nice forest.

Also, easier stuff can be found at the Pondicherry Wildlife Refuge:

http://www.fws.gov/r5soc/come_visit/pondicherry_division.html

Pond of Safety is a nice place to explore, lots of wildlife.

Have fun, its my hometown!

Thanks folks, all good suggestions. I did a couple of great hikes. Mt Hayes in Gorham via the Centennial trail, Mount Waumbek via Starr King and a nice little hike called the Lookout Ledge which is maintained by the RMC (Randolph Mountain Club) with a nice view of Mount Adams.

As for eats, I found a great little place for breakfast called the Hometown Market. Good portions for cheap prices and very quick service.

Nice area with plenty of good day hikes.

Last edited: