Day pack suggestions (May-Oct)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Looking to use some holiday gift cards to replace my beat-up 3 season day pack with a lightweight (not necessarily ultralight) one for long days out, up the easier High Peaks and lower mountains when winter essentials are not carried. I am wondering if around 1,800-2,000 ci is appropriate for the essentials, raingear, fleece jacket, hats, water, food, safety items, camera, etc. (but not a sleeping bag, stove, etc). Hydration sleeve nice to have. My web search comes up with such candidates as the Gregory Z series, Osprey Talon 33, and an impossible to find Solomon Raid Race pack. I have no idea whether the ventilation style is wise or not. I already use an older Marmot Eiger 35 as my winter day pack but is larger than desired for warmer weather acents. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had an Osprey Stratos 32 which was perfect for day hiking. I replaced it with the 40 to have enough room for winter - it's a bit big for summer (but compresses nicely) and a bit small for winter, but it is a pretty good compromise as compromises go. When it wears out I will replace it with a smaller one for summer day hikes and a larger one for overnight / winter use. The Talon 33 is the closest match (size-wise) in the current Osprey line as they no longer make the Stratos 32.

I really like the ventilation!

Tim

I use the Golite Ion. I think mine weighs 9 ounces. It is just a sack with two shoulder straps on it. It has worked very well for me, but I don't carry alot of stuff on hikes.

for years i have used a gregory advent pro for summer and winter day hikes. i don't think they make that exact pack anymore, but have some sort of equivalent in the z series. it's the best i've had for all around versatility.
i did use a smaller gregory icarus for much of this summer and was really happy with it too. may try an osprey pack when i'm next in the market.

bryan

Mountainsmith Phantom.

It's light, streamlined, durable, and well designed.

171-10504-1-2T.jpg

cu in?

So, what storage size do folks prefer for a long day out on the trail, not in winter? The 1,800 -2,000 cu in range seems rather large for a day outing. Would you go smaller?

I use three packs of differing size to cover my needs.

30 liter (1800 ci) - Summer day hikes.
40 liter w/lid (2500 ci) - Winter day hikes, summer overnights.
60 liter w/lid (3600 ci) - Expedition climbs, winter overnights & carrying unwieldy loads.

Last edited:
Golite Continuum

I use the Golite Continuum. I think this model has been disontinued but there must be something in their line that takes its place. Been using it for 3 or 4 years. All 4 seasons. 2600cu Inches, and only 38 ounces. Carries everything that want though I don't do overnights with a tent. I like everything being as light as I can get. Both my knees and back agree!!!! :)

After a lot of looking, I bought a Kelty Redwing (~3000) to replace the Widerness Experience I've had for years. Lots of room and pockets. Worked well this fall.

I went through this earlier this year. I tried to avoid falling back on LL Bean but in the end I purchased the Bigelow Day pack. Cost and benifits worked out well. On the trail it has been good. I suspect for lots more $$$$ there are better alternatives. I do find it comfortable (I am a big and tall guy)and I recommend you take a look at it prior to purchasing anything. The built-in rain cover was not very exciting to me until I was up on a mountain and it started to rain.

I'll chime in with another recomendation for LL Bean. I too had gift cards to get rid of! I thought the Bigelow seemed a little too big for dayhikes so I chose the Day Trekker instead.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...7&cat4=1098&shop_method=pp&feat=117-sub1&np=Y

Used it a few times and I'm happy with it. I'll be taking it on it's first winter hike this weekend, unless I start packing it and decide I should go larger...but
I think it will work just fine.

I'll chime in with another recomendation for LL Bean. I too had gift cards to get rid of! I thought the Bigelow seemed a little too big for dayhikes so I chose the Day Trekker instead.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...7&cat4=1098&shop_method=pp&feat=117-sub1&np=Y

Used it a few times and I'm happy with it. I'll be taking it on it's first winter hike this weekend, unless I start packing it and decide I should go larger...but
I think it will work just fine.

I have the Bigelow. I use for all seasons for all activities. However, in winter when hiking peaks I bring a larger bag to accomodate a sleeping bag and bivey for emergency situations or a nap.

Can ya get my back too? :)

At $70, I couldn't resist buying another Osprey pack ...... thanks for the heads-up! :cool:

I love my REI Venturi 30 pack. It has one of those mesh backpanels, similar to some of the Osprey packs. Makes for great ventilation, and I like the feel of the netting against my back vs. my other packs that don't have this. It's a bit small, 1831 CI, but I've used it from April - October with no issues. I also like the little pockets on the waistband where I can keep snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, etc.

The Kelty pack mentioned by Tuco is nice too, I don't own one but I almost bought one the day I picked up the Venturi 30. The price on the site he linked to can't be beat - $49.95 for a new pack? Sweet.

Last edited: