Daypack recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a quick search for this topic and didn't find a useful thread, so here i am asking what has most certainly been answered before - but here goes,

Now that i have accomplished many of my goals for outdoor pursuits, i am about to concentrate on the ADK 46r title. I have about 17 of them completed so far, and hope to finish the remaining off in the next year or two. Therefore, I am now in the market for a high quality daypack. 2000+ ci, lightweight, effective suspension, and solid construction are my biggest concerns. Enough room for gear appropriate for a 1 day summit attempt, and the usual extra and safety gear. I like the Golite Jam Pack, and some of the Mountainsmith bags. If a hydration pack fits in there well, all the better.

Any favorites, or models to stay away from?

Thanks all!

Rob

The larger old-style platypus daypacks like the Typhoon and Thunderhead (i have) are nice and relatively inexpensive too ($85/$55). The new megawatt ones look real funky, but might be good. If you need more capacity you might want to look at the Granite Gear wisp & virga packs, i've heard good things about those two.

Last edited:
I've hiked for about 12 years summer and winter with a Dana Designs Bombpack. Can't really compare it to anything else but I love it and it is definitely durable.

Rob,

i use an osprey ceres 50 which equates to about 3500cu". this is an excellent pack for both extended trips and can be reduced down to a much smaller pack for 1 day/summit duty. there is a ceres 38 as well...closer to your 2000cu" needs. one consideration: these packs are a little heavy due to ballistic nylon and multiple loops and straps. they really excel as technical packs carrying ski/climbing gear, though they are modular and can be stripped down to a somewhat light pack.

the black diamond packs look pretty good too, and are very weight conscious, much like the golites. i usually use my packs with ski/snowboard and climbing equipment so i have been cautious about the golite's considering their minimalist padding.

prior to buying the osprey, i used a dakine chute pack which was very good as well. i have suggested these to others, and they seem to be pretty happy. i am selling mine pretty cheap if you are interested.

if you are mainly looking for a summit pack...going ultralightl, i use a 750cu" patagonia scram pack which serves me well as long as i really minimize what i'm packing to the essentials. osprey, golite and others make similar packs as well. good luck in your search.

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3054

I have a Dana Designs Shadow Peak (6 years old, will never die) and an Osprey Ceres 38 (an ice climber's pack, more bells and whistles than I need). Both are 2400 ci and have quality hipbelts, shoulder belts, suspension, etc.
The Dana has no hydration pocket and the Osprey's is too small to fit my 100 oz bladder. This is no problem since I started using a Camelbak Unbottle which can stand up on its own.

The cheap light daypacks can't compare in comfort when you are carrying 15 pounds or so. I haven't tried the new ultralights yet, though. Load them up when testing to make sure they don't hang on your shoulders like an angry monkey.

When it comes to packs it is always a tough question because there are so many packs on the market. I always look at price first. I can not see spending 200$ on a day pack. Then I look at all the features. Can you strap crampons on the top lid as well as side straps that are long enough to hold snowshoes. Ice axe loop is important. I also like a norrow pack and it has to be clean, I hate straps all over. The pack I have been using is the Marmot Eiger. It is perfect for winter hiking and long warm weather hikes. Cost was well under a 100 bucks and it fits my body well.

I like my Arc'teryx Bora 30 (about 2080 ci in "regular" and 2260 ci in "tall" size). Really good suspension system, adequately sized for my large chest and shoulders, and very well made. It's one shortcoming is lack of a built-in external side pocket to serve as an easily accessible water bottle holder.

A Mountainsmith Cairn model lumbar pack (about 1100 ci) fitted with the company's "Strapette" shoulder harness accessory is my all around favorite daypack when I can get away with carrying less bulk and weight. I really like the back support this pack provides. It also is very well made.

G.

Gregory Advent Pro - is the way to Go!

Seriously for a nice size day pack with tons of useful features & extremely lite i LOVE this pack! altho it is an "ultralite" it has way more features & support then others in the same category. I has 2 internal bladder pockets, a separate compartment at the bottom (like a sleeping bag compartment on larger packs), 2 mesh side pockets, a front mesh pocket, zippered pockets on the waist belt, a top compartment, misc cords to hang stuff - pleeeassse ck it out it is soo nice you will love it because it packs nice and you save on weight! I got the '03 model for 1/2 price $80 - backcountry i think. it's something like 2200 cu. before i got this i was using a osprey day pack. great support & comfort but not nearly as much room or features & i hate the bladder sleeve - a pain to use! ck out the gregory you won't be disappointed! :)

One important consideration when purchasing gear (especially for those of us on a budget) is versatility. For example, the Gregory Advent Pro is nice day pack, but it probably won't cut it as a winter day pack (assuming that you may eventually get into winter hiking) because it probably isn't large enough to hold all your equipment for a day hike. I also wouldn't want to bushwhack with it, as there are many shock cords, mesh pockets, etc. to get caught on limbs, and the material does not do so well with abrasion. I'm not picking on Shadowcat here. He just happened to have to most recent post, and I'm quite familiar with the Advent Pro. It is a very nice pack, but also rather specialized in my opinion.

On the other hand, a pack like The North Face Terra 40 may have more versatility. It's large enough to use as a winter day pack, yet could still be used as a 3-season day pack as well. Also, if you're doing a warm weather overnight trip, and you have good lightweight gear, you could use this pack for overnights as well. Bushwhacking won't be a problem either. The same can be said for the Marmot Eiger. I just happen to like this particular North Face pack because of it's features:

-pockets on hip belt
-additional pocket on outside of pack (compared to Marmot Eiger)
-dual daisy chains allow for addition of horizontal strap to secure snow shoes
-single shock cord on back for crampons
-hydration compatible with port
-price (clearanced at $69.98 at www.ems.com)

Admittedly, the suspension on the Eiger may be better.

Last edited:
Day pack

Thanks for all the replies. I do most of my hiking/camping during the winter, and am currently using a 3000ci EMS pack that i really like for long winter day trips(and multi-day summer trips). It is a little heavy and big, and doesn't "get small" well if it isn't filled. The only things my winter pack needs to carry in addition to my usual summer day hike gear is a 35 deg. down bag, poly-pro long johns and stove. So i am usually still under 20lbs.

After my recent NPT thru hike, i am a big believer in 2 things - light weight, and a quality suspension. Granted the better one is the less important the other is. However, i would prefer to have both. It took about 3 days on the trail to really nail down the adjustment on the pack, and what a difference after i figured it out.

The Advent seems to have a lot of good features, but maybe too many. I don't need lash points, just a lightweight, durable sack with a good suspension. The North Face mentioned seems intriguing, especially at that price point.

After Johnnycakes reply, the Marmot looks like a very good option. Please keep the suggestions coming! It is going to be a Christmas gift to myself.

I like the REI Talus 35 pack. If your tall, go for it. It's longer than your typical daypack that wrap around your stomach & not your waist. I use it summer & winter and have no problems fitting all my gear. They were running a sale last time I was there. $67 +/- I paid full price 1 1/2 years ago $90
Tom

I'm also shopping around for packs, and I'm glad Rob started this thread. I just spent about two hours checking out various online stores. Has anyone tried the Granite Gear Vapor Trail? It's 3600 cu.in. and only 2 lbs. EMS currently has 'em for $145.

Also, I was comparing two very similar packs and was wondering if anyone
had any opinions: Kelty Redwing 2900 and Mountainsmith Approach 2900. They have the same capacity and almost the same weight. Both are panel loading and have side pockets and hydration compatibility. Campor currently has the Mountainsmith on sale for about $60 and TravelCountry.com has the Kelty for about the same price. Any thoughts on carrying stuff like snowshoes, crampons and trekking poles on these two packs? Anything else that makes one superior to the other?

Matt

Hiking-the most fun you can have with your gear on.

For winter I have a Dakine Chute, holds skis, gear, camelback. Also has access from the rear which is handy when the skis are strapped on the front.

For summer I use an old delapatated TNF pack. Vintage 1996??Avocet??? It's well worn but still gets me to the top :)

For 3 season hikes, I'm sold on my Platypus Typhoon (2002 model). Shop around on-line and you should be able to find one for under $60. It's about 1750 cu in and the only pack I've used for dayhikes (except winter) since I got it. I even take it along as my summit pack on backpack trips. It is 1 lb, 10 oz comes with a 100 oz Platy. For winter, I've been using a TNF Exocet. I am looking for a new winter daypack as this one is a bit long in the torso (but a great pack!)

I have the Dana Sluiskin 45, which is the larger version of the one Gris singled out on sale at REI. Great pack for summer, even better for winter. I refigure the shov-it on the back (which has closed cell foam in it and can be used as a seat as well) to hold my snowshoes quickly and securely. There is a crampon pocket, which holds wet stuff in summer, and you can drop various compenents to cinch it down even tighter. Reinforced ski slots. Hydro pocket and exit. The 45 has a removable lid, but I always hike with it on. Outside compression straps both vertical and horizontal keeps things riding smooth. I have several Dana packs and this one is my favorite by far.

Audrey, on my old Dana M80 I used to loop my bladder through the inside "snugger" strap that would hold it upright and next to my back just like a hydro pocket. If your Peak has the snugger strap, give it a try ... I guess you also need a bladder with a top hook? And a long enough hose ...

response to gregory advent pro

in reply to: "For example, the Gregory Advent Pro is nice day pack, but it probably won't cut it as a winter day pack (assuming that you may eventually get into winter hiking) because it probably isn't large enough to hold all your equipment for a day hike.
response: as far as not being big enough, i don't how much stuff you need for a day hike but 2200 cu holds all my stuff; thermos, down jacket, extra socks, top, gloves, hat. my seat goes on the bottom - anyway there's plenty of room for a day hike is what i'm getting at.
in reply to: "I also wouldn't want to bushwhack with it, as there are many shock cords, mesh pockets, etc. "
response: i'll have to agree that unless you tuck in the cords/straps you aren't using they mite get in the way. my the material is guaranteed tough so that's not a worry, but there are many cords that dangle down if not put to use or tucked away.
just wanted to throw back in my 2 cents because i used it all last winter & it certainly was more than enough for all day outings, supportable for the entire day; yet lighter than many which, for me helps. :p