Deadly peakbagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the interesting report KZ. My concern is that this data is not normalized for the number of participants and time spent participating -- it makes sense that there are more rock accidents, as I believe there are more rock climbers than ice climbers (and therefore also more hours spent on rock than on ice).

If we were able to divide the raw number of accidents by either (1) number of participants or (2) participant-hours spent, we would have normalized results that would be more ripe for comparison.

I agree

The data is what it is, it is not normalized to # of participants or climb-hrs - to your point you could erroneously conclude that Canadiens are safer than Americans since there are fewer Canadien accidents.

I just thought it was an interesting link.

I ice climbed every weekend this past winter and never felt unsafe. I felt much more exposed hiking on an 11,000 ft ridge with steep drops on both sides than I ever did on a NEI4 Ice wall.