Easter Hunt Hike for Trolls at Trollville

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Players:

cbcbd (Doug)
Leaf (Courtney)
Nif (Jen)
Annalisa
Mark Synnott
Mats

Behind The Red Fox Restaurant in Jackson, New Hampshire, there is an impressive rocky hill which covers a good portion of the western horizon. It goes up about 700-800 vertical feet from the restaurant on route 16. The local people refers to it by “Trollville” Supposedly trolls were seen dancing on the summit in the sunset. And sometimes when children were missing in the area in the 18th century, they were taken by the trolls living in Trollville. Mysterious screams has been heard from the vincinity of Trollville even in recent years.

Due to some unusual circumstances related to shoes we decided to try to find the legendary trolls in Trollville instead of looking for Dracula at Frankenstein Cliffs.

We organized our packs with all kinds of tools necessary to handle the trolls we were sure to come by. Arm was with us at the parking lot, but for some strange reason he decided to go elsewhere after a mysterious phone call. Luckily Annalisa, the French teacher at Gorham Middle School came to our rescue. Her French language might come in handy of the trolls are of the Quebec tribe. We have to be prepared!

The row of six troll hunters left the parking lot and started to meander through the forest towards the rocky hill. We listened for the strange screams and looked for unusual things. After a few little hills the landscape suddenly turned steep. Mark (who lives in Jackson) told us that it used to be forest on this scree slope until a few years ago when a troll decided to flatten the church in Jackson with a rockfall. Fortunately the flat forested portion between Trollville and the church absorbed the rockfall before reaching its target.

We looked up nervously toward the cliffs for further action by the trolls while traversing the boulder field diagonally. The cliff had a big red scar left from the chunk that the troll let loose. To be safe we north a bit into the woods before trying to get up to the summit and the trolls. Here we ran into some real steep terrain we had to overcome. We figured out with our crampons we might be able to tackle the ice to reach the upper section of Trollville (Trollville is an extension of Iron Mountain and Green Hill by the way). The beatiful sound of the bells from the church where Easter Mass was held in Jackson reminded us of special day it was today. It could also explain why the trolls (who sleeps during the day) wanted to get rid of the bells ringing loudly every Sunday

The pictures that follow shows our struggles to get up the ice to the trolls......many failed attempt followed. Mark and Doug (cbcbd) even tried a combined approach via an overhanging rock and lounge out to an enormous icicle probably weighing more than one of the buses we saw down on route 16. I was working with Annalisa on the left side when I heard Mark screaming.........he just made it up the icicle.....words are that it’s a legendary route up the cliff called “Diaper Rash”. Mark, the local guy, told us that this route is rated M8 (M=Mixed). In rock climbing it would be equivalent to about 5.12.

If you see ropes hanging in the photos it’s the ropes which we dragged up to try to capture the trolls. Since only Mark made it up “Diaper Rash”, he didn’t want to encounter possible trolls on the summit himself so he decided to come back with us and rehydrate back at The Red Fox. The trolls have to wait for another day......and if anyone in Jackson heard any screams from Trollvile yesterday, it might not have been trolls :D

Here are Leaf’s photos on her website to begin with: http://hikingleaf.smugmug.com

It was quite an adventure! Yes, as Mats stated, the ropes were simply brought up to aid in our Troll capture. We didn't use them to aid us in our ice climbing. Although the Trolls eluded us, we did alot of hunting for good spots to swing our tools and kick in our crampons. It was a memorable Easter and the residents near Trollville were safe for another day. :)

We should also mention that Mark Synnott taught us Troll Rescue Tecniques....you never know when you get a troll hanging on your rope :D

So cool!

I need lots more practice so I can "hang" with you dudes. Great pics, wish I had more from my trip into The Flume. I was too busy injuring my nose. Trolls don't stand a chance against ice tools if you wield them just right. :)

KDT

Ok, I just finished up my pictures. So now they are all set and much prettier. There's a few more of Jen, Mats and Doug. Enjoy!

Reactions: MEB
Thanks Mats for organizing this trip. It was a wonderful surprise and a great time was had by all. :D

I should have spent a little less time enjoying CBCBD flailing and given the column a try for myself, but then again someone had to keep picking up his tools when you gave up the job. :cool:

Nif

Last edited:
Hey Jen,

I think the performance of the day was when you after a failed first attempt on the first route Mark led, pulled yourself together and topped out during a Herculean battle up the steep ice.

In the meantime the Swedish guy forgot the inner boots of his double plastic and.....wondered why there was so much space in there although double socks.......and then cramping up the fingers while taking out the last screw so he had to climb with the screw in his mouth.....often it's not recommended to do things the way I do.....

If anyone wonder who Mark Synnott is: http://www.newhampshireclimbing.com/

Thanks Mats for setting this up, it was really a blast and it was great to have Mark's experience forging us ahead into unknown territory... troll territory.

Don't feel too bad, Mats, earlier this season I forgot to put insoles in my boots during a Washington climb - very painfull.

Mats Roing said:
Arm was with us at the parking lot, but for some strange reason he decided to go elsewhere after a mysterious phone call.
Hey, when Booty calls, one must answer :D