deliverance moments

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just remembered another one..

I was backpacking a section of the Long Path in NY with a friend and we had just reached a stretch before Schenemunk where the trail follows three miles of railroad track. Just before the LP turned into the woods, we see a guy coming down the track, really muscled up and wearing leather pants and bullet belts slung over his chest. We started hotfooting it to the turnoff as fast as we could (on railroad tracks with packs!) but we didn't make it in time and suddenly he's right in front of us. He just smiled and walked on by. To this day my friend and I recall him as "Rambo".

I had a Deliverance moment a few months ago, but I guess it doesn't really fall into the type of moments you guys are looking for. I went hiking along the Chattooga river in South Carolina. As I'm sure the ww crowd in here is well aware, that's where it was filmed. It was a beautiful place. I made camp near the river, talked with many of the local fisherman, visited a really nice waterfall, and took what I think is my favorite photo of the year (so far).

But no one told me I had a purty mouth. How disappointing.

Jefferson Picture

As requested, here is the picture I took on Jefferson that day.

While looking for the picture, I also found an .mpeg I took from the summit. I had forgotten all about it. It's not terribly interesting, just clouds racing across the rocky landscape and the sound of the wind gusting, but in the background I can hear the sound of my scared hitching breathing as I scan the horizon looking for something I can't see. Sorta like something out of the Blair Witch Project. I still can't decide where it's funny or simply pathetic! If you'd like to judge for yourself, PM me.

I was bicycling cross country. it was mid Nove and we were dropping south from ME to GA as fast as we could so that winter would not overtake us before we headed west. We crossed into North Carolina from Virginia, the Kerr Resevoir area. It was well after labor day and the campgrounds had long been shut down. We headed into one to stealth camp. We had spent a lot of the trip just pulling off the road aways and my friend and I were never bothered. However, as we went down the access road we past a house that was run down and lots of trasha dn stuff in the yard. Somebody watched us..we could see curtains moving.

We pitched our tent by the water in a hidden area. I made a yankee pot roast for dinner. We were cleaned up and in that sack after dark. About ten a pickup truck was driving up and down these dirt roads around the camp site looking for us. The headlights stopped and shown on our tent and held for five minutes before driving off. there was also a dog sniffing around the tent. My friend and I laid there all night waiting for the good ol boys to jump out at us...Nothing ever came of it.

Once fainted when a bear stuck it's head in the tent that my boyfriend and I were sleeping in. Boyfriend still does not believe it was a bear that caused me to scream and fall into a dead faint. How dainty of me. Oh, this was at the Livingston Pond Leanto in the 'Dacks

Once was sleeping in a hammock and in the middle of the night some animal was walking underneath me make the most G..-aweful sounds. I lay in terror, not sure what it was, too afraid to move. Finally, stoic camper personality took over and I plugged up my ears and forced myself to go to sleep. I figured that it would either kill me or not, but in any case I needed my sleep.
This was on Bellarye Mt., Catskills. I now think that it was a porcupine. It's always better to know what it is that haunts your campsite.

Once while camping in NJ I was having my sleep on when some plane flew overhead- it sounded so loud that I was sure that it was going to crash on top of us. I think that campground was close to some airport or military base.

Once I was sleeping and a deer ran down the ridge, right for my tent. I thought for sure that it would trample me to death, but instead it leaped over my tent. I've had all kinds of animals run at my tent. This always causes me to snap awake in a heart pounding, momentary, panic. But I always go back to sleep easily- I do need my sleep, afterall.

I guess i'll add a moment, since i started the thread.

About 6 weeks ago i was camping out at my favorite painted rock secret hideaway in Big K and it was about 10 p.m. and i was setting up my tent in the gravel pit. Out of nowhere comes this pickup truck w/ some dude and his chick, peeling off the road and heading onto my dirt road territory, and they start chatting w/ me about the Big K and all kinds of other inconsequential things. freeked the heck out of me. The dude seemed real sketchy, asking weird questions. The other weird part of it is that just an hour or two before then, a freak storm had hit the roads between Baxter and Millinocket. There were trees all over the road and lots of branches. The road ws barely passable. Not exactly a night to just go out for a nice drive w/ the woman. So the guy is just looking at my tent and my car, and i have a weird feeling about him. A few minutes later they just left. The next few hours i was just laying in my tent waiting for a pickup truck to come back. This wouldn't seem too weird, but everytime i camp out there, there is always a truck that drives off the road and shines it's headlights onto my tent there for a few moments.

One other humorous/scary moment i will mention about wildlife. A few years back i was camping out at Mt Philo in VT, just 20 minutes south of Burlington, w/ a girlfriend. We were staying in a lean-to and I had cooked some steaks on the fire pit for dinner and had some sun chips as well w/ dinner. This being our one day off from work, naturally i was drinking some ice house beer i believe. The great thing about Mt philo is that it has the most beautiful sunset from the top of the 600 foot tall or so summitt. So we brought beer up to the summit, drank, watched the sun go down, and then watched the traffic down in the valley going towards middlebury. After this, we hiked back down to our lean to and went to sleep/passed out. Around 5 a.m., we heard this blood curtling screech. WHat the heck is that? Suddenly there were 3-4 very large 30-40 pound raccons eating my leftover steak, chips, and opening my cooler and swimming in and drinking the ice water. They were extremely loud, and appeared very rabid!They were also fighting each other for the food very intensely. The picinic table was maybe 10 or 15 feet from the lean to. We had some close up coon action. I think i was cowering inside the lean to, praying for them to leave. After a while they went away for a few minutes, and we quickly threw our things in the car, and flew out of there around 6 in the morning.

Last edited:
Creeeepy picture!

Periwinkle,

Your Story AND Your PICTURE absolutely Creeeped me out!!
:eek: Thanks for sharing a great story!!

Snowshooz :eek:

Not mountain related but' I took my younger brother to a cemetary in town, this cemetery has graves going back to the 1700's. After we walked around awile then we rode our bikes home( 2 miles), he had left his outside so I said "you better go bring it in" moments later he came running in the house, he looked scared out his mind and white as a ghost (bad pun) he said with complete honesty" I just saw a half woman floating by me in the yard" :eek: I did not doubt him and although his bike remained outside we both remained inside!!!!!

Periwinkle,

You are not going to believe this, but I was up on Jefferson solo once and their was no one around. I mean no one. I was really happy to have the summit to myself. I pulled out my camera and was going to get some nice pictures looking over at Adams and suddenly I heard a bone chilling cackle of a laugh that went right up my spine. I could have sworn it was right behind me. I spun around and there was nothing there. I was kind of freaked out and when I looked back towards Edmonds Col I didn't see anything either. But after I got home and checked out my pictures, I really freaked out when I saw this one. I am never, ever going back to Jefferson solo again.

- darren

Nothing is scarier than seeing Harryk skinny dipping at the end of a hike. :D

I have no really scary moments....well, it was scary for me. A few years back a buddy and I were camped in the parking lot at Cannon and wired for an early morning scoot up into the hills. His wife had us all ramped up about the bears needing their last meal before winter hit and how there was a drought so the bears were really hungry - she basically told us that we were going to be eaten if we weren’t careful. Anyway, sometime in the middle of the night I was half awake/half asleep and heard something rustling outside of our tent....it sounded HUGE! Freaked me out! I think I was dreaming because all I can remember is thinking there was a bear sniffing loudly outside the tent. I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning. We ended up making it to the Greanleaf Hut (I think) and turning back because we were unprepared for the conditions. To this day I wonder if the dream was a “warning” to keep us out of the hills and away from the bears......

Periwinkle, When I zoom in on the orb I see a child crouching in the circle part. Anyone else?

Does anyone know of any books about hauntings in the Whites or haunted mountains in general?

darren said:
Periwinkle,

You are not going to believe this, but I was up on Jefferson solo once and their was no one around. I mean no one. I was really happy to have the summit to myself. I pulled out my camera and was going to get some nice pictures looking over at Adams and suddenly I heard a bone chilling cackle of a laugh that went right up my spine. I could have sworn it was right behind me. I spun around and there was nothing there. I was kind of freaked out and when I looked back towards Edmonds Col I didn't see anything either. But after I got home and checked out my pictures, I really freaked out when I saw this one. I am never, ever going back to Jefferson solo again.

- darren

:eek: is all I can say.

That was pretty funny.

Periwinkle said:
As requested, here is the picture I took on Jefferson that day.

While looking for the picture, I also found an .mpeg I took from the summit. I had forgotten all about it. It's not terribly interesting, just clouds racing across the rocky landscape and the sound of the wind gusting, but in the background I can hear the sound of my scared hitching breathing as I scan the horizon looking for something I can't see. Sorta like something out of the Blair Witch Project. I still can't decide where it's funny or simply pathetic! If you'd like to judge for yourself, PM me.
Man, I would lose my padlock if this happened to me. And then when I saw this photo that I had taken, I'd lose it again & it would rust too.

You get some award for this!

-Dr. Wu

darren said:
Periwinkle,

- darren
I lost my padlock for real. That's a crazy ghost you saw!

-Dr. Wu

darren said:
Periwinkle,

- darren

Is that REALLY A REAL PICTURE? I mean not photoshopped or anything? Did you see this person or did it just appear on the pictures? Does anyone know if a female hiker lost her life there?

Super scary...IMHO..

M

I have never had any "Deliverance " or other such incedent I did run into one of the survilaist types while hiking out to Granite Peak But then I was packing a .50 caliber hand gun ( Yes I own them and do not hike in the NE with a fire arm. It is very remote Grizzley country and anything less than a .40 caliber will not stop a grizzley) so I think he figured I was a gun nut and stated talking about the "New World Order "and how he was going to build some sort of undergound hide out. I just nodded and said I had to be on my way I really did not have time to listen to his in depth details and plans it was kind of funny. I think he would tryto convince every one that the UN was taking over the world rather than hurt any one.
As For Mt Jefferson . I do not know if people remember there used to be a metal shelter in edmmunds col about 15 or more years ago. I used to hear some people unverd after spending a night there. I still think it was wind and animals I have seen a fox roaming up there. and of course the ravens . . ....?
There is a a true acount about a person who was wanted for murder who was at Grey Knob years ago. I Wonder if Dave Metsky either knows about the story and can give a good acount or a link to it. Or a RMCer who know s some of the caretakes froom the 80's I cannot recall the caretakers name but it is a unnerving story.

Last edited:
OMG! I am so GULLIBLE! You actually had me going there for a minute, Darren, and I should know better. Remind me whack you one the next time I see you! Better yet, I'm gonna have Audrey give you the spanking you deserve! :D

As to the lens flare question: No, I don't think you're being a wet blanket. I asked the same question myself and actually had the original file and picture looked at by a few so-called "experts". Inconclusive at best without examining the camera and/or recreating the conditions. The only real oddity is that the light reflects into a place that should be in shadow, tho that isn't out of the realm of possibility. Given the light conditions on the summit that day, a beam of sunlight could have caused the reflection of the green moss on the rocks.

Overall, for me it was just a very odd coincidence to have that kind thing show up given what happened at the time. I've taken thousands of pictures with that camera all over the Whites in different weather conditions. There are a few other obvious lens flares in some other photos, but they're not as large or close by or that color intensity.

Whatever it is, I think of it as my souvenir shot. It just reminds me of a bizzare experience. On the logical side of the coin, it also reminds me to NEVER react like that again, no matter what. Whatever was there (bird, animal, spirit, mean-spirited hiker with a bad sense of humor and a good Dr. Evil imitation) stayed there. It wasn't chasing me. I could have gotten hurt running from nothing.

As for looking into the light and seeing things, lots of people have commented on seeing images. Reminds me of a Rorschach test. I see the same face five times in different positions (but that's from the original large file). I dunno. Somewhere I remember reading that it's some kind of brain function to see human images in the unknown. At least that explains the image of Jesus on toast that got Ebayed, I suppose!

Periwinkle,
I remember seeing pictures posted a while (maybe a long while) ago that were taken in the Pemi, in the area of the railroad bridge, I think. There was a thread that discussed strange things happening in that area. There was a discussion about lens flair then, too. Does anyone else remember that?