Descending Nelson Crag Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all -

I am considering descending the Nelson Crag trail on a hike up Mt. Washington. Just wondering if it is a daunting descent. The WMG Guide shows it as steep, but nothing too crazy, but I want to be sure.

Appreciate your advice.

thanks,
Marty

It's nothing like Tuckerman, Lions Head, or especially Huntington. It's a steep, rough trail, but it's still a hike, not a climb.

-dave-

I have decended the Nelson Crag trail, while not the worst descent ever, its a long knee grinder for sure, tucks is alot easier so is the head.

My least favorite way down. And coupled with the eroded Old Jackson Road, once was enough. The other routes give you more variety and variation in pitch - perhaps that's why I like them better.

But then, that would still be better than sitting in my boss's office...

I have to agree with the others. It's not a very desireable descent. It's definitely tough on the knees and very "scraggly." I much prefer Lion Head for a picturesque, extremeley varied, and easier way down. Maybe try going up Nelson Crag and down tucks or lionhead?

Gotta go with all the above, BUT if you ain't done it, you'll HAVE to do it later and maybe your knees won't be so good.

Nelson Crag

It's a long rock hop down before you get back in the trees, but as Dave M says, it's a hike, not a climb. Personally, I prefer the climb to the descent. I agree with TMax, you should consider climbing that way and descending Tux or Lion Head, (not Huntington). My wife dog and I climbed NC during the Mount Washington Observatory's Seek th Peak hike-a-thon a few years back. Besides all the Seek the Peakers there were hundreds of others on a beautiful July weekend climbing the east side of MW. We saw only one other person on the whole trail until we reached the area of Ball Crag.

KDT

It always feels like a real long way to get off the Mtn. The upper section is nice and has a slightly different view than some of the other ways down the mtn, but the woods slog isnt anything special. It doesnt get much traffic which is good for a busy weekend.