Desolation Trail (Carrigain)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has recently been on this trail. Since it climbs the north face of Carrigain, I was wondering about the snow cover and any helpful suggestions.

We'll let you know...

...We're headed out that way this weekend... We're doing an overnight up the Nancy Pond Trail to Nancy and back, then on to Carrigain Notch Trail this weekend. If we're feeling up to it on Sunday, which is likely as long as the weather is good, we'll head up the Desolation Trail to Carrigain and then down the Signal Ridge Trail.
I'll post a trip report on Monday with conditions.
-Danielle
:)

The Desolation Trail is well named. I have never seen a winter posting for this trail. It is frightfully steep in sections and I'm sure there is some snow left, since it is (as you point out) on the north slope.

Thanks, I'll be sure NOT to warn the others in my group about the steepness... My biggest concern would be route finding and post holing with heavy packs. Thanks again

Yeah, there was one section where the soil is so eroded that only the roots (slimy) are left. It was like climbing a slippery ladder. We used to refer to this section as simply "the roots". Have a good/safe trip. Maybe that section has been relocated.

over the years, this trail has consistently been one of the last trails in the whites to melt out in the spring. I have run into more than a few folks who have had to turn around even after memorial day weekend

Hmmm....

...sounds like it could be interesting! Maybe we'll be going with Option #1, which is to simply head out on Carrigain Notch Trail to Signal Ridge to Sawyer River Road, instead of up and over Carrigain via Desolation Trail.

Jasonst, are you going out there this weekend? If so, have fun and maybe we'll see you... If not, like I said, I'll post our trip on Monday and let you know how far we got.

-Danielle :)

We were planning on next weekend. For what reason did they turn around?

Jasonst said:
For what reason did they turn around?
I assume deep, unconsolidated and undermined snow made passage extremely difficult, even with snowshoes.

-dave-

To anyone who has hiked in these conditions before, is it still hard to descend a trail such as this or should it be avoided altogether?

Jack Waldron said:

Is that Clay you are standing on? It looks further away, more like Jefferson.
Nope, Clay. But I've been involved in portages up Mt Washington. Long story for another day.

-dave-

Update from this weekend

Jasonst,

Hi there. I'll write out a full trip report for our weekend in a bit, but in the meantime I wanted to write in and let you know that we DID indeed make it up the Desolation Trail yesterday, but that I WOULD NOT recommend it to you for next weekend based on our experience.

The 1.9 miles started out easy enough, but the second it started to get steep and rocky, the trail turned into an icy, snowy, rotten mess. It took us 3 hours to get up the trail, and it was dangerous in spots and just plain silly.

We contemplated turning around at one point, but by then we had gotten up and over some of ice flows, and we figured that it would be worse to turn around and go down. So, we kept on going and as I said, did make it to the top, with no falls and no injuries other than some scratches but we were definitely shaken. It was certainly a bit frightening at times. And even crampons wouldn't really have helped much. There was such a mix, and the snow was so loose, that I don't think anything would have helped, except to not go that way...

Basically, we used the trees on the edge of the trail to haul us up and over and around some of the worst sections of ice, and then a bit higher when it was mostly snow it got a bit "easier" so to speak, but was still treacherous. Not a trail I would advise you to travel on anytime soon, until the snow and ice have melted, in either direction...

However, we did luck out with wonderful views and a sunny day once we reached the top, so that made the route up a bit easier to bear, but still... I wouldn't do it again, at least not at this time of year.

Hope this helps you with your trip planning. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the update. It appears that the trail is safer to ascend rather than descend... I will definitely give your recommendations some serious consideration.

J

Danielle,

Your trip report seemed to imply that the Signal Ridge Trail is in fine shape. Does that sound right?

Signal Ridge Trail

Michael,
Yes, aside from a bit of snow near the top, and a bit of mud on the bottom section, the trail seems to be in good shape. A few blowdowns, a few of which meant going into the woods to get around them, but nothing too difficult. The stream crossings are relatively high but we made it across with not too much of a problem.
Great trail. I love that ridgewalk before the last climb to the summit!