Different Ways of Redlining

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
Thinking through some upcoming plans, I discovered a dearth of adequate hiking terminology to describe to a friend what I was planning. Deeply saddened, I turn now to VFTT. After all, what better place for some creative terminology creation than VFTT? Or perhaps these terms already exist?

Basically, the hike involved both hiking some trails for the first time (red-lining), and hiking other trails that I hadn’t done in 13 years (???). On the spot, I came up with “old-lining”—hiking a trail for the first time in a set period of time (since the good old days). And that got me thinking about what other kinds of redlining there could be. While certainly not as prominent or discussed as peakbagging, redlining is a wonderful way to visit different parts of the forest.

So if there are 20,000,000 ways to peakbag, how many different ways are there to redline? Do people actually keep track of this? (I keep track of trails, or sections of trails, that I’ve hiked, but not any more categorized than that.)

Redlining - hiking a trail, or section of trail, for the first time
Oldlining - hiking a trail for the first time in X number of years
Snowlining - hiking a trail for the first time when it is snow-covered
January/February/March/etc.-lining – hiking a trail for the first time in a given month
Keglining - (come on, you know some of you were already thinking of going there)

Okay, creative VFTTers with too much time on your hands, tell us what you’ve got.

Satlining - Hiking all the trails with GPS tracking, saved on one map. Splitting and combining tracks over time so each is dedicated to one individual trail. Bonus points for winter routes, abandoned trails, x-c ski routes, snowmobile trails, unplowed roads. Bushwhack routes optional. Waypoints set on every peak. Goal is to create a map so heavy in lines and text that it is illegible, thus proving you have walked everywhere there is to walk. :D

When I was a kid my dad marked his maps in red for summer, blue (I think) for winter, and purple dots for the trails done on cross-country skis.

I suppose you could also break them down to trails done solo vs. groups or as dayhikes vs. backpack trips.

I'll leave the task of naming these categories to those far more creative than myself.

I've been redlining the ADKs for years. Red for trails, green for 'whacks, blue for slides.
The 70's map was a companion to the ADK high peaks guide book and is old enough that there are trails(hiked and not hiked) that are no longer in existence. Its been folded and refolded so many times its probably time to reinforce the back with packing tape.

Blacklining - me
Greenlining - my black lab
Redlining - my redbone coonhound

mainlining - hitting the trail as a fix for your restless soul.

Mainelining - what to do after you've redlined all NH trails.

I usually say, "I'm going hiking" or "yeah, I've hiked that".:) I'm not as up to date as you kids with all your jive lingo!

The with snow or without or better Winter vs non like everything else.. I like that one.. why the hell did it not occur to me in the first place..:eek:

I've always used "redlining" to mean racing up a steep trail, getting your heart rate at or above its "theoretical maximum" (220 - age, or some more complex formula). Like redlining an engine.

I've always used "redlining" to mean racing up a steep trail, getting your heart rate at or above its "theoretical maximum" (220 - age, or some more complex formula). Like redlining an engine.

Yeah, being a car guy, "redlining" always has an automotive connotation for me.

I'd be careful redlining as you describe it, though, Tom...if one isn't in shape, redlining could lead to flatlining real quick! :eek:

Other types of lining...

Ok just for some humomorus diversion ,
to go along with keglining, how about winelining... My wife would love that ,
Summer fall winter spring lining (Does anyone here remember the Princess by that name?)
sololining(someone suggested this) and conversely grouplining .... Hmmmm...
bushlining (trying to do every bushwack one could find)
flylining- hiking during black fly season
hutlining - just hiking up to a white mountain hut and never comming back down presumably would include some flatlining and maybe some winelining too
If you get caught in the rain you woud be rainlining, and if you were hiking in the Lake Placid Adirondack Loj area that would include considerable mudlining too.
If you decided to hike every mountain that had streams that would be streamlining
And if you were to try hiking every trail by the full moon would that be moonlining?.... NOT... Remember we speak english and once we setup a rule we go ahead and break it ... Hiking by the full moon woud be ... Moonlighting !

I can think of about a dozen more but I better get out of here before the word police showup and arrest me. Besides , even if tomorow is Saturday I have to go to work....:p