Dix range 2/26-27 and finishing my W46!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supper & Beer

I am sure I can be there @ 7. Supper & beers sounds great and I can't wait to meet some of the crew for Saturdays hike!!!

We have a change for Friday night.

Tip-a-Canoe
Route 73 Keene
518-576-9756

Harry will arrive approximately 7:00!

We received word that a group is going in to the Dix's via the Boquet River. Harry will try to contact them on Friday night to see what the trail conditions are. Pending any changes, we will head in the West Mill Brook trail off Route 9, 4.2 miles south on Exit 30. Expect tp leave the trail head at 6:30. We plan on spotting one or two cars on route 73. We will settle that Friday night at supper.

Friday nite

Holy cow poop! I'll be up there in LP... beers and steak with VFTT'rs only a mountain pass away?? Let me see how this plays out. I'm committted to family for the Athlete's parade and ceremonies for Empire State Games on Friday night around 6PM and skiing on Saturday. (Boy wouldn't that frost them for me to leave and hike the Dix Range!!)

What's the plan for Saturday after the hike? Party to celebrate?? That may be more doable for me. Would be great to tip some with ya.

Ed, congrats on the W-46. Good people going with you. Enjoy it all. Hope we can connect. (Stay away from LP... it'll be a mad-house with all the athletes filling up every square inch.)

Dix Range.....

Hi Ed & Harryk, :)

May be this information will help You may not...........

Last Saturday the 02-18 We started from the gate in the Elk Lake road, the road was plowed and We go up by the Macomb Slide We saw the grove from the weekend before and the snow was perfect specialy in Macomb's slide, We broken the path to South Dix in around a foot of deep snow with a good support.

We stay partialy in the grove to East Dix come back to South Dix with the same condition to Hough, come back to South Dix, passed by Macomb's slide with a special attention to did not go down in the up snowshoes tracks.
We arrived at the car after the round trip in 10h. 30 minutes.

Sunday The Queen started from the same place and She had a plan to hike Dix Range, at the same time with Bob Novik (He needs only Dix & Hough) and Pierre Lefevbre, We started from Round Pound at 6 h. 45 m. and We hiked in a very bad tracks 5 peoples hiked Dix the day before with only crampons!!!!!

The last part, from the bottom of Dix slide to the summit was HORRIBLE but We hiked with snowshoes and change positively the snow conditions.
We broken the trail beween Dix & Hough in the very simillar snow condition of the day before, aroun a foot deep.
We meet the Queen on Hough, She returned over Dix with Bob Novick.

We hiked South-Dix, East Dix, South Dix and Macomb in a perfect snowshoes tracks meet a men near South Dix and a couple with a night packsack near the Macomb's slide. They had a plan to go out over Dix.

We arrived at the car at 4h 30 m.

Few new snow in the night Saturday to Sunday both over the trees line in a other High Peak the wind made wafes around 1 to 2 feet deep...may be the same think in in Dix area....and a chance of winter strorm in the Monday, We do not how much snow was falling!!!

It is my small contribution to help You to catch your winter gaol.

Have a great time... if You will go to take a beer and We know where may be We will toast at you successful.....

Pinpin Junior. ;)

Great info, PINPIN.
Change of plans for me, however: I'm out. Car trouble. I can't go. What a "revoltin' development..."

We followed Pin Pin's tracks over the Dixes last weekend:

We left a decent track from macomb to the beckhorn and then out to the Elk Lake trail head. Expect that track to be snowed in from East Dix to the Hough- Beckhorn Col. We wandered in places (sundays night snow obscured the established track) going up the beckhorn, in places there will be a split in the tracks as we pondered the route.

I'd estimate weekend brought about 8" or so of snow, more high up. Monday was windy high up, there will be drifting and windswept areas.

I'd guess the Mill Brook approach to be your biggest time sucker, too little snow to ease the bushwacking, too much to see what's solid.

Enjoy....

What do we do when it’s all done?

Assuming we complete our W46 goal this Saturday. We Celebrate! Even if we don’t complete the Dix range on Saturday, we still need a place to eat and enjoy some post-trip beer. I have never been to the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery and this would be a good time. Hope to see some of you there……

When We Are Done

The Pub is a great spot, I have had many pints of UBU there. Not quite Guinness but not a bad substitute!!!!! I 2nd Harry's idea on the shower thing!!!!

There's a 95% chance that you will get all 5 on Saturday. However, you will be a tired bunch of incoherant ZOMBIES at day's end. I know I would be.
BTW, if the Dixes on Sat. aren't enough for the peakbagger in you there's a group heading into the Sewards on Sunday.

Elk Lake

Hi Guinness,

It looks like Kelly and I might be headed in from the Elk Lake side of things early on Saturday. We haven't finalized our plans yet, but that's what it's looking like. We're also not sure whether we'd go up Macomb or return via Macomb yet.

Hopefully, we'll see you on the ridge and we can help each other between the peaks :)

Mark

Guinness, Harry, and friends...

Received reports today of pretty deep snow in the Dixes. "Pretty looking, pretty deep, and pretty hard" was the consensus at day's end. There is a solid track along the Boquet up to Grace and Carson, so I would suggest discussing this approach as an option to head in to the range. (Highly recommended)

Good luck, good hiking, and good drinking!

Sean

We are keeping our options open here on the entry point. There has been no activity on the West Mill Brook since last snow fall. I'll be driving by the approach tonight to take a closer look. We are meeting at Tip-a-Canoe in Keene for dinner and drinks. Harry wll be arriving at 7:00, I'll get there shortly after.

There was a group that went into the Boquet River approach and the trail is broken out to East and South Dix. Marka and Kelly are going in on Saturday from Elk Lake, we may help with breaking to Macomb and meeting up with them.

Hough and Dix will be the our real question. We can discuss all options tonight and make our final plans.