Dix range 2/26 and completing my W46!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
I wish to express my deepest gratitude to all that joined me on the the Dix range and my Winter 46 completion on February 26. Our group consisted of (VfTT handles) Nancy, Sir Edmund, Harry, JayH, shin_murnane and markandkelly. The route took us in towards the Dix range on the North Fork of the Boquet River past Lillypad Pond and return via the Blue trail along the Boquet River. We planned on reaching the summit of all 5 peaks as a day hike. I know we had skeptics when we planned this trip as a day hike, but this group was exceptional and they were not to be denied.

Our route was greatly helped by Christine, Gary and friends who broke out the trail a couple of days earlier to South and East Dix, Thanks. We started down the trail at 6:30 am, and found the trail was in excellent condition. Turning up towards the col between East and South Dix our group split up into two groups as I am not able to maintain a pace with the leaders. I was the “trail slug” of the group.

I want to offer a special Thank You to HarryK who volunteered to hike with me over Hough and Dix and out to route 73. Harry dropped out of the lead group and waited for me on top of South Dix over an hour while I soloed over to Macomb and returned. The route from South Dix to Dix was complete with very frustrating bushwhacks and a “climbers wall” I hit which slowed our progress. Together we reached the summit of Dix at 5:50 pm and my 46W was all but accomplished, now we just needed to hike out. Throughout the day we had limited to no views, however as we hiked out the skies cleared and the stars shown in their brilliance. Harry gave me a celebration bottle of “LA FIN DU MONDE” which I am savoring while remembering everyone who helped me to complete my goal. So I raise a glass to everyone.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

Wow, Ed, what a day! We were thinking of you and your group on Saturday, as we were hiking into Tirrell Pond...wondering if you would make the 5 peaks in one day or not.

You did it! (And what a guy, that HarryK)

Congratulations...now you are "official!"

Congrats Ed. Happy that I could join you for the day. I had a fun time, at least when not thinking about my dad and family. I'm also happy that everybody made it out OK. HarryK, you are truly a "gold member", good on ya for ensuing a safe hike out. We were all kind of worried only seeing 2 headlamps coming out when we saw you and Ed at the Round Pond trailhead. Glad that Shin made it out OK and was able to get to his car.

I don't think I could of made it if we split it up for sunday.

I'm beat, emotionally and physically, I need some rest, tomorrow is going to be another long day for me, my father and my family.

Jay

Congratulations on your official winter 46. I will buy you a Guinness next time I see you. You had a good group to hike with on this trip and I am glad that I at least got to join the pre hike dinner on Friday night. Lyle and I were thinking about your slog over those mountains while we did a leisurely stroll in the woods.

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Ed, on making your winter 46! I would have offered you more encouragement on that open face of Carson (So. Dix) had I know you were about to finish!!! I did Carson, McComb, & Grace (in that order) on Saturday, which leaves me only one to go for my winter 46--Seymour!!!

Congrats and Thanks!

Great job Ed and congratulations! We were very pleased to join up with you all and to meet everyone as well. You were all a pleasure to hike with!

Harry, thanks for being such a great leader on this hike.

Also, just so you know, we finished the last trek of our journey and made it home safely Saturday night :)

We look forward to meeting you all out there again sometime. Enjoy the rest of the winter!

Mark and Kelly

Congrats on the finish. Was wondering all day how it was going as I saw the cars at the trailheads both going to and coming home from Whiteface. Too bad all those packed trails are about to get buried before I get up there!

Congratulations

Ed its was all my pleasure being a part of the group on such a monumental trip and day. You sure did your 46th winter peak in style and with a real classy guy in Harry. You 2 guys I would hike w/ any time, anywhere. The rest of the Jack Rabbits we hiked w/ (Kelly & Mark, Nancy, Jay & Jeff) were just as great. Thanks guys & gals for letting me tag along. And thanks for coming back to the trailhead to check on us. Skipping Macomb for me was a great idea and allowed me to finish up pretty comfortably!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Ed,

Gary and I are very happy that we were somehow part of your incredible finish, as visiting the "fiwe" Dixies in a one winter day is quite an accomplishement!

Congratulations!

Christine

Dix Range in one Winter day

Congratulation Guinness. :)

Great Job Harryk, for many peoples Dix range in one Winter day is a good dream...now for You two it is a reality, a power You keed in your mind for the next goal..... :)

Pinpin Junior. ;)

Congratulations Ed.
Was this your last winter 46r... or the start of your training regimen for Rainier?
Great job
BTW is Harry K going out west this summer?
Al