Do you let weather Dictate?? - Moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get angry and don't get mad. First he was more than 15 min. late and did not call? The Tough Sh*t rule applies, you must leave without him. Second, when he does arrive and does not want to go why not just go on without him? It is fine if he changed his mind, were human, we do that. No reason to be pissed. At least you know not to waste your time waiting for him in the future. Life is short, play hard every chance you get.

I think the answer is to be completely self-contained. Learn how to be comfortable going solo, and figure out how to show your wife that it can be safe. Many people on this site wouldn't think twice about solo hiking and backpacking in summer, learn from them what works.

Once you are capable and willing to go on your own, friends and hiking partners become added bonuses, not requirements. If your friend (and he is your friend, don't be too hard on him) backs out it won't be a big blow. Your weekend won't be ruined and your friendship won't be strained.

Accept that people won't always want to do what you want. These days I will often decide to change plans or cancel if the weather turns nasty. I just don't enjoy it very much. Have a backup plan if you don't feel comfortable with the original plan now that it's solo. But if you want to avoid being disappointed you need to remove other people from the cirtical path. So you can get out on the non-critical path.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
I think the answer is to be completely self-contained. Learn how to be comfortable going solo, and figure out how to show your wife that it can be safe. Many people on this site wouldn't think twice about solo hiking and backpacking in summer, learn from them what works.

Once you are capable and willing to go on your own, friends and hiking partners become added bonuses, not requirements. If your friend (and he is your friend, don't be too hard on him) backs out it won't be a big blow. Your weekend won't be ruined and your friendship won't be strained.

Accept that people won't always want to do what you want. These days I will often decide to change plans or cancel if the weather turns nasty. I just don't enjoy it very much. Have a backup plan if you don't feel comfortable with the original plan now that it's solo. But if you want to avoid being disappointed you need to remove other people from the cirtical path. So you can get out on the non-critical path.

-dave-

Great suggestions..I HAVE to do my first SOLO VERY soon...I feel the need to hike MUCH more lately..don't know why yet...but it's how I feel..

M

Someone made me angry one day and so I set off on my first solo hike. :D
I'm lovin' it!!

That's how I started solo & has Dave said, people are a bonus when hiking but I don't count on them when making my plans.

I leave the mountains, the trails & approx time at home (with several hours built in as a cushion in summer, a couple extra in winter) where my wife can see it.

Start your solo hiking locally at place you know first. Another suggestion is if you are not familar with traveling by head lamp, do the first couple trips on trails you know well, it's a bit different than daylight travel.

Another thread revealing the joy of hiking alone! I always consider the weather when chosing where to hike, but I NEVER have to worry about someone else's mood.

Hiking alone through the forest on a drizzly day is a beautiful experience. Heavy rain is another matter, but I love drizzly days. The trails are uncrowded and forest is lush and the light is soft. I love the sound of the birds on days like that.

Happy Trails!

I will check between the adk's and catskill's and choose the best weather. Although you cant believe a single thing the "weatherman" says. in the summer when I am trying to peak for the high peaks I will go rain or shine. I do try to save the better summits for the best weather. I waited weeks to get a clear day for Noonmark. in the spring or fall I will not go in a downpour.

I usually plan all my trips as if it was a solo trip even if friends are coming. The result would be still going if they couldn't make it. In fact that's exactly what happened last fall on an off-trail hike. My partner had to bail at 10:00 the night before and I went anyway. Another occasion was a pretty heavy duty 3 day bushwhack affair and my partner called me up at 10:30 the night before with a sprained ankle. I got to say, "take 2 aspirines and call me in the morning". It wasn't any better in the morning and I elected not to do the hike alone.

Hiking in the rain is something that I don't mind at all if I have the right company but I don't do slide climbs in the rain. If river crossings are likely to be dangerous I'll change itineraries.