documenting 46 high peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all due respect, Skyclimber, people are free to ponder and express thier opinions about the ADK46 and all manner of other things. Why wonder why?? Its human nature to consider the nature of things. And its been shown to be quite a progressive little attribute. :)

Out of No Disrespect for No One, "Why does everyone on the Internet seem to think they know what is best for the Adirondack Forty Sixers Organization?" Always suggesting some "crazy notions like emailing their reports, cut out the four lesser peaks of the Forty Six Original Peaks, Nye, Cliff, Blake and Couchsachraga," Correspondents are No Longer Needed, etc.?" This is a well respected Organization and therefore their rules and regulations should also be respected.

The only man who is qualified to answer that question is Dr. Wu.

Are you with me Doctor Wu?

Not that I was making a suggestion. Far be it for me to try and tell the 46ers how to run shop. Just saying I like the idea of a french speaking correspondent.

Tiens! Yvon par hasard.

Last edited:
Nobody here said that we should write our reports in french?
As far as I know, a correspondent do not write reports for people, but a correspondant can help the people.

Last edited:
Nobody here said that we should write our reports in french?
As far as I know, a correspondent do not write reports for people, but a correspondant help the people.

People helping people. What a wonderful idea. I think your goals and most importantly, your intentions behind them are just AWESOME!

Last edited:
This has been an interesting discussion of ideas. Trip reports to the 46ers in French, vs trip reports in English. Until reading the thread, I'd never really given it any thought....Tradition vs making our Canadian siblings feel more at home.
I'm the last to say. Although I'm tri-lingual(poor French, worse Latin, and pidgin English), the ideas here are thought provoking. :eek:

I sense a warming of the discussion, though and truly hope this good discussion can be kept cordial. :)

This has been an interesting discussion of ideas. Trip reports to the 46ers in French, vs trip reports in English.

But, again nobody here said that we should write our reports in french?

Who said that we will write our 46er reports in french, not Neil, not Prino, not una_dogger and not me.

But, again nobody here said that we should write our reports in french?

Who said that we will write our 46er reports in french, not Neil, not Prino, not una_dogger and not me.

I think we should ask Gilles Duceppe what he thinks.

I'm wondering why Christine (BlackSpruce) isn't mentioned? She is a correspondent, not only from Canada but originally from SW France. I think it is harder for her to read them in English actually but just does it because she enjoys it.

I strongly believe that it would be morally and ethically wrong to categorize climbers and correspondents alike by citizenship or language.
Morally and ethically?

Écoutez, I really wouldn't mind if the 46ers responded to correspondence in Swahili or Swiss-German. I just think that English is only one of so many interesting languages, especially nowadays when we have automatic translation available on the internet.

Who knows, maybe the 46ers of the future will submit their reports in Esperanto.

Someday I'd love to see the whole system go paperless -- would be very cool to search the archives online as well as doing electronic submission, chat with your corresondent. That would be kewl. :)

The only man who is qualified to answer that question is Dr. Wu.

Are you with me Doctor Wu?
I think they should firebomb the organization*. How's that for an answer?

I'm not the right person to defer to. I have no interest in lists or in completing things or in patches or in recognition or in completely dumb rules. I am a nihilist.

-Dr. Wu

*not really.

Last edited:
I'm not the right person to defer to.... I am a nihilist.

-Dr. Wu*

*not really.
Not really who? Wu? *

The reason I deferred this thorny question to you is because you have a totally objective viewpoint being a nihilist and all. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.:confused:

Not really who? Wu? *

The reason I deferred this thorny question to you is because you have a totally objective viewpoint being a nihilist and all. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.:confused:
I meant that I don't really want to firebomb the ADK thing.

I don't know how to answer the question. It's like two people arguing about their favorite TV show and then deferring to me -- well, I don't watch TV. I had not idea that one needed a correspondent for a patch. I wouldn't even know how to get a patch if I finished the ADK46. I have a bunch done but the chances of me doing some of the more obscure ones like Adams and that Coochie Woochie one is small.

-Dr. Wu

You mean Allen, not Adams. Right?

All kidding aside. There is not much in this little world that compares to the 46er tradition. I wouldn't touch it. In this day and age of digital geegaws coming out the ying-yang it's refreshing to have something traditional and solid to hang one's hat on.

Paperless office? The day I computerized mine, my paper consumption quintupled. :D

Someday I'd love to see the whole system go paperless -- would be very cool to search the archives online as well as doing electronic submission, chat with your corresondent. That would be kewl. :)

You certainly wouldn't of liked the days of "Writing to Grace." Grace recommended everyone to hand write their letters. I got scolded for typewriting a letter to her, as she felt them more personal handwritten.

Grace did not believe in computers and refused to have one of her own. All her letters were written to us on a manual typewriter.

All kidding aside. There is not much in this little world that compares to the 46er tradition. I wouldn't touch it. In this day and age of digital geegaws coming out the ying-yang it's refreshing to have something traditional and solid to hang one's hat on.

:)

Oh, I'm certain I would have loved to have been blessed with the opportunity to write to and recieve letters from Grace! :)

And, I hope there are still forests left on the planet when my life is near its end!! Nothing wrong with going paperless if it saves a few trees....uh...Neil, not sure what is going on in your office...must be that manifesto you've been writing!

I wrote my reports in the spiritual language that reflects my inner peace.

山の上で行ったり、酔ったの下に来た

They never wrote me back ;)

It would have been easier when I sent mine to type em up and e-mail them to my correspondent. He said "no, do it this way, that how we like them". I dusted off the ole' pen, dug up some lined paper and started writing. Since I was the one looking to join them, I never thought question how they wanted me to "join", I just did it.

"Oh, I'm certain I would have loved to have been blessed with the opportunity to write to and recieve letters from Grace!"

I enjoyed writing and receiving letters from Grace. Her welcome to the 46ers and my 46W letters from her are framed in our home.

I enjoyed writing and receiving letters from Grace. Her welcome to the 46ers and my 46W letters from her are framed in our home.

My family and I received so many, I have them all in a book, with each individual letter slipped into a plastic cover in order to protect them. Along with little personal things like special cards, etc. she sent us throughout the years. They all are such a treasure.