Dorset & Equinox, Double Hit & Run, 7/21/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 21, 2012: Dorset & Equinox, Double Hit & Run

Trails:
Dorset Mountain: Dorset Hollow Trail, woods roads, snowmobile trails, herd paths

Mount Equinox: Burr & Burton Trail

Summits: Dorset Mountain, Mount Equinox

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Sue and I got in another day of NEHH hiking in Vermont. This time around was in the southern part of the state. We had two targets for the day; Dorset Mountain in the morning and Mount Equinox in the afternoon. We enjoyed outstanding weather conditions, but we both were thinking the day was quite a bit warmer and more humid than predicted. Oh well, once in a while the weather experts miss one. Still, it was a really good day.

Dorset Mountain

We made our way to the start of our hike to Dorset Mountain and found the place deserted. We had our choice of prime parking spots along the side of the road. We made our choice, took care of final hike prep, grabbed our things, and took off. As we hiked along the initial part of the woods road that eventually passes the hunting cabin I was thinking we could have driven this. The road seemed to be in really good shape.

A short distance in from where we parked the road deteriorated. I’m guessing it was TS Irene that did all of the damage. A large section of the road is heavily eroded and not passable. In fact, it is so bad the hiking route has shifted to the west side of the road to bypass the eroded section. A herd path has developed and is easy to follow. Eventually, a short distance before reaching the hunting cabin the bypass is no longer needed and we rejoined the normal route.

Once we passed the hunting camp we started the climb to the saddle on the west of Dorset Mountain. With only one or two short level sections along the way, the climb was a constant ramp. We found a comfortable pace and hiked. Along the way we were passed by three others (VFTT ThinMan and his two companions – sorry, I’m terrible with names). Their plans for the day were identical to ours, which meant we would meet again. The others were hiking a much faster pace and went ahead. We reached the saddle and junction with the route approaching from Danby Four Corners.

The sun was blasting the area and the heat was building. Even a short stop resulted in an instant swarm of small black flys. I don’t think they were the biting type but their numbers made standing around very uncomfortable. We kept moving. Thinking back it seems they weren’t a problem until the sun came out strong.

We continued toward the summit. Our plan was to hike the loop of the two peaks climbing to the south peak (elevation 3730) first and then to the north peak (elevation 3770), which is the summit and also the location of the canister, and finally descend from the north peak. We left the saddle and started the climb via the snowmobile trail, which was at a steady but milder grade than the climb from the camp to the saddle. Eventually, we reached a small cairn at a location where the trail split; one route continued straight ahead and the other started a steeper climb to the right. We assumed our return route would travel the lower split. We went right, headed to the south peak first via the high split.

Not long after starting up this high route we came to another, larger cairn and a herd path heading straight up the slope. We made the turn and did the climb. In a few minutes we were standing at the old tower and grill on the south peak. Within a couple minutes the flys were after us. They brought along some really mean friends. There were some large black flys in the group that were really aggressive and could easily bite through clothing. We got a few pictures and headed for the north peak.

Along the way to the north peak and actual high point we again met ThinMan and his gang. They doubled-back for their exit. We all back-tracked to the tree with the twin door knobs (door set), had a brief visit, and they started their exit descent on the middle route down to the snowmobile trail. Sue and I continued to the north peak and canister. We both knew standing around for any period at all would be unpleasant. We arrived at the canister, pulled out the register, and made our entry. Somewhere between arriving at the canister and opening it the flys attacked. We managed a couple summit pictures and soon continued north for our exit.

A short time after leaving the summit we came to a sharp left which is the exit route we followed. We had a very clear herd path to follow. It’s a mild descent back to the snowmobile trail and re-joins the trail at the first cairn split. From there to the trailhead went without any surprises but we had flys for the full distance. In other words, we kept moving. Back at the truck it didn’t take long to toss our things in the back and take off.

I have read a description of this hike that indicates there are some limited blazes marking the route. I didn’t see a single blaze. The route is easy to follow even without the markings. By heading left at the first cairn, the route will hit the north peak and summit first.

Mount Equinox

We made the short run to the Mount Equinox Hotel and Resort for our hike. According to the information in my copy of “Day Hiker’s Guide to Vermont, 4th. Edition” by the Green Mountain Club, the proper place to park is at the hotel lot and walk to the trailhead since hiker parking wasn’t allowed at the Burr & Burton lot. Evidently, since my copy was printed a new parking area was created outside of Burr & Burton property to serve as a trailhead lot. As we were preparing to get started a fellow that was working nearby approached and let us know there was a lot at the end of W. Union Street allowing direct access to the trail and saving ~10 minutes on each end, perhaps more. He also indicated he worked maintaining the trails in the Equinox Preservation Trust. From a pouch he had nearby he pulled a map of the area, gave us directions to the upper lot, gave us the map, and we were off. Nice guy, and very helpful.

At the upper lot we reloaded water into our packs and set off. The lower trails on Equinox are more like roads you would find in a city park; wide, smooth, boring. I was expecting to see some elderly couple pass by in their Cadillac at any minute. We wandered up the Burr & Burton Trail through multiple trail junctions in the preserve to the Upper Spring junction, which is roughly the half-way point.

Finally, the general nature of the trail changed and we were on a narrow, rocky, rough hiking trail – it’s about time! We continued our climb and had ~1.3 miles of hiking trail left to enjoy on our climb. Considering the amount of traffic the area has, it’s no surprise the trails were completely clear from base to summit. Also not surprising, Equinox has a good fly population as well and it came for a visit each time we stopped.

A short distance below the summit we again met ThinMan and his companions. They were on their exit hike and we wouldn’t be far behind. Sue and I continued to the summit. As we neared the area Sue commented about hearing a motor running. I guessed the noise was related to possibly dismantling or remodeling the old buildings. In fact, the noise was from an excavator doing a little clean-up. A new building is in the final construction phase on the summit. How nice.

We hung around long enough to get a couple summit pictures, some view pictures to the east and west, and then we were gone. We enjoyed a quiet, and fly-free descent to the truck. Roughly half-way back to the truck, on one of my water stops, I figured it out. There were huge numbers of flys on Dorset and Equinox earlier in the day. They weren’t noticeable on Dorset until the sun was out strong, and now late in the day with the east side of Equinox shaded they’re again gone, it’s a no fly zone. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is these guys must be solar powered.

We found the truck, packed, made a quick change at the local McDonalds, and headed for home.

Thanks Sue – it was a good day.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Thanks for the TR. We're heading to VT in a couple of weeks to finish off five remaining NEHH (Stratton, Equinox, Dorset, Mendon & Pico). We were wondering if we could group two of them together in one day. About how many hours did these two hikes take you? thanks.

Beth Zimmer

Thanks for the TR. We're heading to VT in a couple of weeks to finish off five remaining NEHH (Stratton, Equinox, Dorset, Mendon & Pico). We were wondering if we could group two of them together in one day. About how many hours did these two hikes take you? thanks.

Beth Zimmer
Hey Beth,

It’s probably not a good idea to judge anything by our times; I’m always a little slow. And, sometimes we take extra time to simply enjoy the hike.

Like many people around here, you probably have a good sense of how your hike performance usually compares to book time. I find this standard approach removes the variables introduced by an individual.

Using the formula used by the White Mountain Guide (printed edition) for calculating book time…..

Dorset
Book time for Dorset is 4hr 30min
Our time for Dorset was 4hr 45min

Equinox
Book time for Equinox is 4hr
Our time for Equinox was 4hr 30min

I hope you enjoy the hikes.

;)

Damesfly -- if you are willing to start wicked early and have a long day -- Dorset, Equinox and Stratton may be possible. None of these peaks involve particularly long or challenging hikes individually - logistics/drive time will be the main factors determining success. If I were attempting this three-fer strategy; I would hike Dorset first, travel south and hike Equinox; and then assess daylight before driving over to hike Stratton.
Mendon and Pico are easy to combine. My strategy would be Mendon first via traditional route as an out and back, then drive over and tag Pico via the work road - not the most glamorous approach but avoids having to carspot (as you would if you were considering a traverse) and basically, gits 'er done.

Happy Hiking!:)

Back in 2006 when I did those peaks with my Airedale Duffy we drove over from Maine in the morning directly to Stratton. We did Stratton in the afternoon. It was as has been mentioned an easy hike. We spent the night in a dog friendly motel up near Killington then did Dorset the next morning and Equinox in the afternoon then headed home. Doing it that way made for three very nice hikes and saved us an extra trip over and back.

Damesfly -- if you are willing to start wicked early and have a long day -- Dorset, Equinox and Stratton may be possible. None of these peaks involve particularly long or challenging hikes individually - logistics/drive time will be the main factors determining success. If I were attempting this three-fer strategy; I would hike Dorset first, travel south and hike Equinox; and then assess daylight before driving over to hike Stratton.
Mendon and Pico are easy to combine. My strategy would be Mendon first via traditional route as an out and back, then drive over and tag Pico via the work road - not the most glamorous approach but avoids having to carspot (as you would if you were considering a traverse) and basically, gits 'er done.

Happy Hiking!:)

Driving over to Stratton from the Dorset/Equinox area will be challenging since Kelley Stand Road remains closed from the Arlington side. So either Rt 9 to VT100 to Arlington-Stratton Road (which connects to Kelley Stand past the LT/AT lot there for Stratton Mtn or some northern approach to Stratton from some other forest roads....

Jay

Driving over to Stratton from the Dorset/Equinox area will be challenging since Kelley Stand Road remains closed from the Arlington side. So either Rt 9 to VT100 to Arlington-Stratton Road (which connects to Kelley Stand past the LT/AT lot there for Stratton Mtn or some northern approach to Stratton from some other forest roads....

Jay
Jay,

Good to know.

We were considering all three but decided against including Stratton due to other time constraints. I can't find anything on-line at the VT511 site concerning Kelley Stand Road.

Thanks for posting.

:)

http://www.sunderlandvt.org/kelley-stand-reconstruction/

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=38001

Q. What is the timeline for the project again?
A. Environmental review complete some time from April, May or June; project design will follow; award contract by end of 2012; begin work in early 2013 with up to 2 operating seasons to complete work (complete by end of 2014).

From the sounds of it, it might not reopen til 2014!!! It sounds like they are doing a complete Environmental study on how to rebuild it knowing that it could easily get washed away and since it cuts through the GMNF, is subject to more rules and there are also folks living on it... etc. etc..

There is a much longer approach to stratton mt via the Lye Brook Wilderness and the trail from Rt 7, but this will probably make it not exactly doable with Dorset and Equinox since it's a lot longer than the short LT approach from the south... However, the Lye Brook trail is supposed to be fabulous and it brings you right to Stratton Pond where you can camp or stay in the shelter...

Jay

Last edited: