Double Pemi 6/26-27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
With the advantage of the long days this time of the year and many future weekends booked up it seems logical to try it this weekend. Unfortunately I have to work Saturday day so I can't start until early Saturday evening. I'm guessing a 6-7pm start is reasonable. The good thing with that is that the sunset will happen in the Bonds vincinity and somewhere on Franconia Ridge the sunrise will happen. After I'm back in Lincoln Woods Sunday morning I change clothes and reload the pack and head back up Franconia Ridge to make it a little different compared with the first lap. I think I would appreciate if anyone wants to intercept me or go with me for the 2nd lap since a certain level of tiredness will set in. Going overnight I doubt many people will wanna join in.

Hope to finish before sunset Sunday and then I stay in a motel in Lincoln before driving home Monday morning.

If I have reception upp there I'll try to update on the forum here. Hmmm, maybe I'll use the tracker system again....so you can follow me on-line ;)

Mats

........I think I would appreciate if anyone wants to intercept me or go with me for the 2nd lap since a certain level of tiredness will set in.....

I could hang with you on your 4th lap .....maybe !

....I meant to say a "high level of tiredness".....it's happened more than once I set out to do something and I end up turning around or bailing.....but it's always fun to try :)

I thought you were only allowed to night hike in the Sawtooth Range.

Gosh darn, this changes everything.

Mats got out of work earlier than expected. We saw him at Lincoln Woods just before he headed out at 5:30 this afternoon. Good Luck Mats!!!

FYI - the shorts won out - at least for round one :>

Last edited:
It started out good with 46 min to Bondcliff Trail and 2hrs53min to Bond where the sunset was beautiful. elt good so I tagged West Bond as well. A fog moved in and visibility was maybe 15-20 feet until after South Twin. Pace slowed down after dark. On South Twin there was a guy huddling in the raw fog with a big antenna. It was probably 10:30pm or so now. he antenna guy asked me if I knew where I was. I wa trying to be funny and asnwered "Middle Carter". No response from him other than he told me to be careful with his equipment. He was measuring lightning with this thing he had set up.

Anyway to make a long story short......Went over Garfield and up Lafayette which was reached at 3:30am......took a long break on Little Haystack when the daylight came......no feeling of cramps this pemi-loop......I brought a jar of salt with me I sucked on and put in the water. It seemed to work:) However a heavy tiredness set in and sometimes on the ridge and going down Osseo Trail it was very difficult to stay awake while hiking......decided that it might be a bad idea to do a second loop if I had a hard time staying awake during the first loop so I bailed at Lincoln Woods. Larisa came to meet me a bit into the Osseo Trail on my way down. She was supposed to do the 2nd lap with me but nice of her to walk in to make sure I wasn't sleep walking.

Legs were fine but it doesn't matter if you can't stay awake:D

Maybe the best way to do a double Pemi is to start in the morning and hopefully still have 3-4 rs of dayulight for the 2nd loop. Then you just advil and coffee bean it out.

On South Twin there was a guy huddling in the raw fog with a big antenna. It was probably 10:30pm or so now. he antenna guy asked me if I knew where I was. I wa trying to be funny and asnwered "Middle Carter". No response from him other than he told me to be careful with his equipment. He was measuring lightning with this thing he had set up.
Amateur Radio Field Day was also held this weekend. Hams set up portable radio stations in field locations and see how many others they can contact. (It is, among other things, a practice for emergency communications.)

So there might have been people set up with antennas and radios on a variety of peaks... One group usually sets up on Mt Washington and I have contacted a station on Moosilauke. A friend and I once set up on Big Squaw Mtn (above Moosehead Lake, ME) for a field day a number of years ago.

Doug

Just this week I tried starting a hike at 1am and by the next morning I was toast on the uphills.

Novel concept: Maybe we are genetically programmed to sleep at night.

For all-nighters I was thinking that instead of hitting the trail after work and a drive to take the day off, get close to the trail head and take a sleeping pill 8 hours before showtime.

Maybe the best way to do a double Pemi is to start in the morning and hopefully still have 3-4 rs of dayulight for the 2nd loop. Then you just advil and coffee bean it out.
well, duh. didn't you learn from my double attempt? :p ;)

So it doesn't count as a double pemi if I do one this month and one next month?????? :rolleyes:

Sound like this is one event where my ability to sleepwalk might actually be a good thing :p

Nice try Mats you'll get it figured out and done one of these days.

Huh?

What is the point of a 'double Pemi...?' It's just a mindless do-over.:p

Now, a 'Kegi-Traverse,' THAT would really be something. There would be multiple acheivements in doing that: (i) kill a keg whilst traversing the mighty Presis; (ii) tote a keg across the mighty Presis; (iii) log roll the keg down the Crawford path and across the highway into the Shapleigh house at warp speed; (iv) the festivities, bragging rights/epic mtn lore, etc.:cool:

Double-Pemi? puhleeeze!

What is the point of a 'double Pemi...?' It's just a mindless do-over.:p

I think it's a problem solving issue. The main things to solve are:
* Sleep
* Feet
* Re-fueling/hydration
* Preparation/setting the stage

Each one of them requires a lot of attention......obviously there are stuff I'm lacking in......living and learning :) Leaf seems to have made most progress thus far.....

Now, a 'Kegi-Traverse,' THAT would really be something.

17 of us did that last July 4th.....keg never made it to Eisenhover though....so how do we resolve that?

Mats, uber cool! I wish I could've been around to support the sleeplessness of this one.
Buuuut, instead I stayed sleepless in Seattle this weekend tackling a double that's more my speed.