Dry River Trail: A Trail Made of Awesome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
I have long wondered what it would be like to drop into the void from Lakes of the Clouds Hut and spend some time in the Bermuda Triangle of the Northeast, AKA, Oakes Gulf. We left Crawford Notch in the rain on Saturday morning to make a long trip that would fulfill this objective and a patrol of a few trails in the Southern Presies. Only a few hikers were out in the rainy nastiness and streams were running full bore on the Webster-Jackson Trail and the Jackson Branch. We geared up for foul weather at treeline where we saw a few other hikers who were not enjoying the elements at all, and had decided to turn back.

Undeterred, we tramped our way over to Mizpah Spring Hut and scarfed down a couple bowls of soup. We were not envious of the croo who had to deal with a boatload of hypothermic-like youngsters, none of whom had dry socks. Later that night, our tent was snowed on, and we slept very late, enjoying the pitter patter of flakes as the hit the fly wall.

On Sunday, the weather deteriorated dramatically as we gained elevation. We found ourselves in white-out conditions on Franklin.

4011941702_cdf3e79ff2.jpg

Fortunately, we were well prepared and did not suffer the same fate as some folks we saw who were without gloves. We passed the small party of people with their hands in their pockets, trying to thaw their fingers out. I can’t imagine they were very happy campers. The winds were very strong, almost enough to blow you over.

4011941626_03f2acdc1e.jpg

When we approached Monroe, the weather began to improve and visibility increased quite a bit.

4011941770_6e92aa8d69.jpg

We stopped for lunch in the dungeon and met some other cheerful travelers. When our new acquaintances departed, we head their loud whoops of joy from inside the dank confines of the emergency shelter. The clouds had dissipated, giving us a glimpse of the foliage that we had heard so much about.

4011941578_99c0e347fd.jpg

Finally, it was the moment I had been waiting for; time to drop into the valley and join the land of the lost. I was extremely disappointed when I realized that it was impossible to simply fall or be blown into the Gulf. I had to work at it by climbing a knoll just past the big Lake of the Clouds. What the heck? I always thought the sudden descent was what brought people to this mysterious place from which a helicopter extrication was the only escape? Not so.

Instead, after the little bit of uphill, we dropped into a veritable paradise that few get to see, unless they are hopelessly lost, or the weather is really good. The Dry River Trail was awesome. The trail itself was meticulously maintained and we never once questioned the route. There was one instance where the old route turned right and violated the growing grounds of the rare unseen plant, the Robbins Cinquefoil, but we easily avoided the old path and continued downward into the wild Oakes Gulf.

4011941518_e77eac1c00.jpg

Maybe it’s a good thing that so many people get lost in here. We found that the trail between the Oakes Gulf headwall and Dry River Shelter #3 had been recently cleared of its many blowdowns. It looked like the trail maintenance folks were right on top of it.

4011929364_41c36fe2ed.jpg

On Monday, we ascended through the maze of trails south of the Dry River Shelter #3. The strange intersections seems designed to mess with your internal compass and we had fun guessing the direction of Mizpah Hut, sometimes being off by a full 180 degrees. Up the Dry River Cutoff and other trails, we reached the hut again in time for lunch. The weather had finally turned sunny and we descended via Mizpah Cutoff and the Crawford Path to the parking lot on Mt. Clinton Road.

This trip made a big figure 8 around the Southern Presidential/Dry River area. If you have always wanted to explore the upper reaches of the Dry River Trail, I would highly recommend it. It is a trail that’s made of awesome!

I was extremely disappointed when I realized that it was impossible to simply fall or be blown into the Gulf. I had to work at it by climbing a knoll just past the big Lake of the Clouds. What the heck? I always thought the sudden descent was what brought people to this mysterious place from which a helicopter extrication was the only escape? Not so.
On Monday, we ascended through the maze of trails south of the Dry River Shelter #3. The strange intersections seems designed to mess with your internal compass and we had fun guessing the direction of Mizpah Hut, sometimes being off by a full 180 degrees.
If you look at old maps, the trail did used to drop abruptly from the Crawford Path but as you mention was rerouted due to rare plants - of course lost hikers in bad weather can wind up on the old trail

Lower down, the trail at one time followed the old RR but relocations to avoid mud and reduce the number of river crossings have as you say left a real jumble - once again, compare old maps with present ones

Whoa! Donna that was quite an awesome loop you did, followed up with a very enjoyable Trip Report and photos!

Also, you're to be commended for being completely "winter-ready" this early in the year. I have as yet to get my winter pack ready for the season, but you've inspired me to do so!

Very cool. I was home sick today, so naturally I spent some of my down time perusing the AMC WMG and maps - and the Dry River Trail jumped right out as something I still need to check out.

My thought was to take it from 302 clear up to the Lakes Hut, and then take the Crawford Path back SW, over the various southern Presi summits of course, including Pierce, Jackson and Webster, finally taking Webster Cliff and the Saco River Trail back to the Dry River Trail. I did not figure the total distance. That would be either a one night backpack or a (very) long day hike.

Your photos and TR clinched it for me... I will add this to my growing list of long distance hikes planned for next year.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice TR and pics! I've done the lower part of the trail and enjoyed that as well!

Thanks, y'all.

My thought was to take it from 302 clear up to the Lakes Hut *snip*

I'm not sure what the status is on the suspension bridge over the Dry River. It was scheduled to be replaced over the summer, but previous reports seem to indicate that the replacement hasn't happened. The status of the bridge may affect your plans.

I don't have my map in front of me, but did you pass by Dry River Falls? How'd they look? I might make my way into there this weekend, assuming the brook crossings will be possible (which I have no idea as of yet).

Sorry, we passed by them but never went down the spur path to check them out :( I bet they were running good after Saturday's rain. The crossings of the Dry River (near the shelter and Mt. Eisenhower Trail) weren't too bad, compared to other times I have crossed.

I'm not sure what the status is on the suspension bridge over the Dry River. It was scheduled to be replaced over the summer, but previous reports seem to indicate that the replacement hasn't happened. The status of the bridge may affect your plans.

It has definitely not been replaced - just talked with the Saco ranger station. The work hasn't even started yet, I was told.

Their WMNF bridge status page (last updated August 2008?) indicates "The bridge is scheduled to be replaced in late summer/fall 2009." Doesn't look like that's happening...

I'd not be doing this trip until summer 2010, and hopefully the work will have been done by then. I would certainly research the entire long route thoroughly before undertaking it.

In the meantime though, thank you very much for the heads up. I made the call, and posted this reply, so people would know for sure, since the WMNF is not (IMO) keeping this bridge status information as reliable and up-to-date as they might.

Awesome route!

Thanks for posting the cool report on this interesting route! I think keeping this trail clear and well defined must be concious plan on part of FS and AMC. Like you say it is Bermuda Triangle in winter for hapless hikers and the SAR who go after them.

I expect lot of that maintenance got done by Hut folks. I suspect both Huts probably keep full supply of tools and encourage their people to go down keep those trails clear. If they don't do this, then they should. Cause it's just down the hill for them as opposed to adopters who have to hike up and over to work areas with tools. And one of the skills hut workers whould have is familiarity with local trails as they sometimes will get called out as first responders to help in rescues.

My thought was to take it from 302 clear up to the Lakes Hut, and then take the Crawford Path back SW, over the various southern Presi summits of course, including Pierce, Jackson and Webster, finally taking Webster Cliff and the Saco River Trail back to the Dry River Trail. I did not figure the total distance. That would be either a one night backpack or a (very) long day hike.
I did a similar hike years ago except came back down Mt Clinton Trail, also in those days the trail hit the Crawford Path S of hut so did not quite get to hut. In those days you needed a Wilderness Permit for each visit so I needed 2 for the day as I went in and out of Wilderness. My route was just over 20 miles and having hiked 20 miles over Isolation the previous day I was beat by the end.