early snowshoeing advice??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
I just bought all the gear for snowshoeing and the weather is disappointing me. Any advice for a day trip from the Boston area this weekend (Dec 31 or Jan 1).
I don't mind if I have to drive three hours each way and only get two or three hours of snowshoeing since it will be my first time. (sorry about the pollution, I do take the bus to work) I guess what I am wondering is what mountains trails and have maintained roads to the highest elevations; it seems to me that would be the best criteria under these conditions.
I'll be going with a more experienced hiker (rocksandrolls) so you don't have to worry too much about my disappearing on Mt Washington or anything.
Thanks.

I think anything in eastern mass is out - too warm for any snow to still be around - but could be wrong. normally I would say monadnock - but thats probably even melted out - or will be after tommorow. odd weather we are having - real cold in early dec and now very warm :eek: :eek:

you may have to head to at least as far north as waterville valley, franconia areas -there will be snow there. At least I think there will be :) maybe try something off the kanc highway, lincoln woods, etc.. rocksandrolls will probably know where to go. tell him the hellacopters rule.

Great map

Thanks for the advice. That map is great, SherpaKroto. I just heard from rocksandrolls and we are thinking of going up to Lonesome Lake. I'll be keeping a close watch on conditions.

:) dude! you're willin' to go three hours from boston? duder!! go to waumbek! it's a fantastic snowshoe hike! one of the best! should be more'n enough snow to justify it. a 3 hour drive window opens up the whole white mountains!! i say waumbek! :) :) :)

Just got back from Waumbek. Beautiful. I'll third the suggestion.
-vegematic
ETA: see my trip report for more details.

Last edited:
it's pretty cold - for the middle of July

I keep telling everyone: it's pretty cold - for the middle of July. (People usually laugh at this, but I'm not sure how well the joke works in cyberspace.)

Boy, this weather is freaky. Even Jefferson, NH is supposed to be up to 41 degrees today. But at least there's a chance of snow Saturday and/or Sunday. This is all per weatherunderground.com.

I'll keep an eye on the weather. Rocksandrolls and I are willing to drive 3 hours each way but I left out the key phrase "if necessary".

I'm so anxious to get some use out if the snowshoes I bought that I couldn't afford. Also to enjoy the peaceful snow terrain. Most of all I look forward to going hiking and not having to worry about navigating random medium-sized rocks. I have some endurance, but little agility. Hence my username: slowpoke.

my snowshoeing comrad for this weekend

I just got around to looking up my friend on this site. He's rocksnrolls, not rocksandrolls. Apparently some of you had figured that out.

I also see now that it's not against any etiquette to refer to people by name (or at least a lot of people do it), so I can call him Ron.

(Giggi, I listened to the Hellacopters a little online. And yes, rocknrolls, they decribe themselves as "'60s revivalist rock'n'roll band" on thier site. They sound like headbanger metal based on the sample I listened to; but this isn't the forum and real music enthusiasts hate putting everything in a genre.)

Last edited:
A 5th for Waumbek

...even if you just go as far as Starr King. The views of the Northern Presis are unparalleled. Much better chances for better snow there... and if you go Sunday you may have some fresh stuff... and it's worth the extra driving and walking! Best of all, it's not hard in the least. Lonesome Lake itself is very pretty, but the short slog up is nothing spectacular, and it's likely to be packed out. I accompanied a certain now-banned poster on his first winter 4K to Waumbek about 4 years ago, in sweeeet deep snow conditions, and he got the bug big-time after that, now close to finishing his NE 67 Winter.

Thanks for all the input. I don't think slowpoke wants to hike any longer than 3 hours, so I don't think we could get to the top of Starr King. If there isn't enough snow around Franconia maybe Cherry Mt / Mt Martha would work, or maybe some trails around Randolph Hill.

If there is enough snow and we go to Lonesome Lake, I was thinking of doing a loop of Cascade Brook Tr and Basin-Cascades Tr, hoping it's less travelled this time of year than the Lonesome Lake Tr and Hi-Cannon Tr areas. Would anyone agree on that idea?

Part of why I suggested Lonesome Lake to slowpoke is that I know it's got special significance to both of us - he'd been up there some time ago with his dad, and I spent my first year of warm-weather hiking in the Franconia Notch area, and am looking forward to seeing it in the winter for the first time.

Last edited: