Earthmate GPS PN-20 with XMap 5.2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOD

Reaction score
This has got to be the coolest GPS I’ve seen yet. It’s a bit pricey for just going out and hiking, but if you’ve got the bucks to go and buy a GPS along with mapping and other trinkets this will replace all that stuff. It looks like the Earthmate GPS PN-20 with XMap 5.2 will store imported aerial photos and topo. This stuff is FREE if you know where to look. For those of us in the northeast there are great resources from the states available to download for FREE. I won’t be buying this anytime soon, unless I can get work to buy it…

I have one.

Older link about the PN-20

I have several Garmins including the Vista C and the 76C and I use the Delorme almost exclusively now. The ability to layer DRG and satellite photos over very good base maps is very useful. :D Garmin suckered me into buying their Mapsource 2008 and it has severe limitations.

By the way, you don't need XMap to use and download the DRG's or Sat photos to the computer or GPS.

Keith

Last edited:
I remember now

I remember that topic now. I didn't really pay attention to it then. I noticed it in a trade magazine I get at work. I have the Garmin E-trex Legend and the Topo East and the MetroGuide North America maps too.

You don't need to buy any of the Mr Sid's or the geotiff's from delorme. they are all available for free from the states GIS offices. New England has excellent free sources for this information. I use this stuff almost daily for my job.

If you don't need the software to upload the GIS information, Mr Sid and geotiff's, I may look more seriously in upgrading to this model.