Easy hikes near Speculator, NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all -

My family will be having a reunion later this month in Speculator, NY, in the Southern Adirondacks. Hopefully our activities will include a family hike. Most of my family are not avid hikers, so I suspect that anything too long or difficult would be out of the question.

Any suggestions for easy, yet rewarding family hikes in the nearby area?

Thanks,
Marty

Ooooh, I second the vote for Tenant Creek Falls! I haven't been back there in a while...gotta go back. The trail to Wilcox Lake is nice too. It parallels Stony Creek for a while until it crosses it on a cool suspension bridge.

Tirrell Pond is also a nice destination. There's a great sandy beach at the north end.

chimney by indian lake villiage. only 900 feet climb, great summit with great views. Also caves to explore. Also, blue mtn has a firetower not castle rock. castle rock is a 600 foot climb with nice views of the lake.

Last edited:
There's Good Luck Mountain
http://www.topozone.com/states/NewYork.asp?county=Hamilton
Close to Speculator 3 Miles R/T with 600' elevation gain.
Directions to Trailhead:
From Speculator take Rte 8 SW for 12 Miles and turn south on Rte 10 for another 10 miles. Park on the left and TH is on the right. Haven't been up in a couple of years now, but the trail was never marked, though a very popular trail, it is well worn.

Take main well beaten trail/path in about 1/2 mile and come to junction - turn Left and follow for 2/3 mile along Goo Luck Lake. Trail spur is to right and start climbing among some small cave-like outcroppings to the top - about 1/2 mile climb.
If you are still feeling energetic you can continue along the trail at the base of Good luck mountain to Spectacle lake, about another 3 miles R/T.

Excellent suggestions above. One issue we've had though, is with Tirrell Pond (north end). This site has suffered considerable overuse in recent years. I have heard this from numerous people and have experienced it myself recently first-hand on our Northville-Placid Trail hike. We ran into a HUGE gathering with cots and gear in the lean-to, numerous tents surrounding the lean-to, kids sent to clean dishes in the pond near our campsite, gunshots fired in the evening, etc. All were flown in by float plane. Perhaps all was "legal" given the area status of "Wild Forest" but no one will convince me that what we experienced was proper. If you luck out and find a site there, it is a wonderful area.

Tenant Creek is a simple yet gorgeous trip - everyone will love it! Great views from Good Luck!

Dick

I went to camp at Deerfoot Lodge in Speculator for several of my younger years....cool....

A couple others...

There is also Pillbury Mountain which has a fire tower. A little to the north off route 30 you can make your way up Snowy and Lewey Mtns. For an easy one, you can take a stroll up Oak Mountain (the Ski Center) which is just down Elm Lake Road (Speculator 4 corners). The easiest hike is to drive up the entrance to the Melody Lodge, walk up about 8 stairs to the bar, and take a cold drink out on the balcony to enjoy the sunset. Spectacular views. Enjoy. L

rhihn said:
Excellent suggestions above. One issue we've had though, is with Tirrell Pond (north end). This site has suffered considerable overuse in recent years. I have heard this from numerous people and have experienced it myself recently first-hand on our Northville-Placid Trail hike. We ran into a HUGE gathering with cots and gear in the lean-to, numerous tents surrounding the lean-to, kids sent to clean dishes in the pond near our campsite, gunshots fired in the evening, etc. All were flown in by float plane. Perhaps all was "legal" given the area status of "Wild Forest" but no one will convince me that what we experienced was proper. If you luck out and find a site there, it is a wonderful area.

Good point, Rhihn, I had forgotten about that practice. When we hiked in to Tirrell pond many years ago (I was 16 I think...) we stayed at the leanto on the north-western end. A large group of women hiked through the same day we got there and set up their camp down the beach from us. The next day, one of the aforementioned float planes landed on the lake, three or four guys unloaded enough gear for a month long expedition, and set up a huge camp over near the women's camp.

Still a beautiful lake...

On the other hand, we had the opposite experience. In our recent hike of the NP, we stayed at Tirrell Pond LT on a Monday night. We passed one family heading out, while we were heading in from Rte 30. Aside from that, we did not see a single person on the section from Rte 30 to Rte 28N. We camped alone at Tirrell Pond. It's a very nice spot. My only criticism of the site was that the Lean To is quite far from the pond (which is the current trend). The beach is nice for swimming!